NCL BOGO Air

tonyfall1

10 hours ago, tsmith6719 said:

Got my flights from Boston to San Diego .. The flight times are great but when I try to book seats there are none at the fare NCL paid. To Get two seat I will need to pay an additional 359 bucks . Is this normal ? 

It's most likely that you've been booked in economy and that particular airline doesn't allow you to pick seats until 24 hours before the flight.  My guess is that the $359 is an upgrade fee that will allow you to pick your seats ahead of time.

On 9/7/2023 at 9:11 AM, SimplyAlbert said:

It's most likely that you've been booked in economy and that particular airline doesn't allow you to pick seats until 24 hours before the flight.  My guess is that the $359 is an upgrade fee that will allow you to pick your seats ahead of time.

Unfortunately that was not the case. I called the airline and they no longer had seast at that fair. I could pay an additional fee {350 for 2 seats} on that flight for a upgraded seat or be on stand by So I just  moved to another flight. I booked 2 seats on the same flight the next day at about the price of the seat cost to stay on the NCL flight.  We'll spend a night in Boston and have a nice meal.  Next time I think I'll pass on the free air fare deal .

8 hours ago, tsmith6719 said:

Unfortunately that was not the case. I called the airline and they no longer had seast at that fair. I could pay an additional fee {350 for 2 seats} on that flight for a upgraded seat or be on stand by So I just  moved to another flight. I booked 2 seats on the same flight the next day at about the price of the seat cost to stay on the NCL flight.  We'll spend a night in Boston and have a nice meal.  Next time I think I'll pass on the free air fare deal .

I am anxiously awaiting our first time flight assignments with NCL..just looking to clarify -

when you say "to get seats" you are speaking of getting assigned  seats is that correct? When they said "they no longer had seats"  I'm hoping they just meant you couldn't pay to choose your seat without upgrading - is that right?

I have used BOGO air several times. Mostly domestic and this year I am booked internationally. On all my domestic flights I was able to log into the airline site and find my reservation. Then I would pick my seats for the flights. 

• Like 1

On 9/6/2023 at 8:36 AM, tonyfall1 said:

I was just getting ready to pull the trigger on an NCL cruise. NCL Breakaway out of NOLA. The deciding factor for NCL was the BOGO airfare from Detroit to NOLA. It saves me around $600, from any other cruise line. But now I have read the reviews, is it really that bad and unreliable?

We booked on the Epic and were advised by our travel agent NOT to buy the air. She said NCL is the worst where that’s concerned. They are notorious for multi-leg trips and lots of schedule changes. 

4 hours ago, SiestaKeyCruiser said:

We booked on the Epic and were advised by our travel agent NOT to buy the air. She said NCL is the worst where that’s concerned. They are notorious for multi-leg trips and lots of schedule changes. 

NCL is not responsible for airline schedule changes - they happen, regardless of who books the tickets.  As to multi-leg trips, their standards are 2 legs for domestic, 3 for international. Their bigger issue IMHO is that they often choose routes with shorter - but airline-approved - layovers and that does present a problem due to the airlines not keeping their schedules. But it does depend on your itinerary and chances are you won't get the fastest, most direct route. 

Because of where I live, chances are slim to none that I'll ever get a non-stop flight anyway - they just don't exist.  So I'll take the savings and let NCL do the legwork.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 3:39 AM, rodndonna said:

I am anxiously awaiting our first time flight assignments with NCL..just looking to clarify -

when you say "to get seats" you are speaking of getting assigned  seats is that correct? When they said "they no longer had seats"  I'm hoping they just meant you couldn't pay to choose your seat without upgrading - is that right?

Correct .. They no longer had seats available on that flight at that fare. If I stayed on that flight I would receive my seats at the airport  based on availability. I got the impression that Jet Blue holds seats to encourage the upsell. Don't really want to spend the end of my vacation in a middle seat on a 6 hour flight with my wife in a different row.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, julig22 said:

They give you a $25 credit. But you have to factor in hotel and transportation costs.

Thank you, is there no additional cost for rebooking the flight a day earlier?

Edited by tonyfall1

8 hours ago, julig22 said:

They give you a $25 credit. But you have to factor in hotel and transportation costs.

And not that credit is for the first passenger and not the second. They consider the second as free.I believe but am not sure it would also apply to a 3rd passenger.

3 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

And not that credit is for the first passenger and not the second. They consider the second as free.I believe but am not sure it would also apply to a 3rd passenger.

So they will book me on a flight a day earlier for the same price and give me a $25 credit? Is that credit for the transfer to the port?

Just now, tonyfall1 said:

So they will book me on a flight a day earlier for the same price and give me a $25 credit? Is that credit for the transfer to the port?

No, it just comes off your invoice.

BTW, even if you do a 1 or 2 day deviation, they will only transfer you from the airport. Our cruise was from Southampton. If we had not chosen to stay at hotel by Heathrow, we not only would have had to take our luggage to London, but also take it back to the airport in order to get the transfer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

No, it just comes off your invoice.

BTW, even if you do a 1 or 2 day deviation, they will only transfer you from the airport. Our cruise was from Southampton. If we had not chosen to stay at hotel by Heathrow, we not only would have had to take our luggage to London, but also take it back to the airport in order to get the transfer.

Ok so my plan will be to get a 1 day deviation. Rent a room at an airport hotel that has a shuttle to and from. I see quite a few at a reasonable price. Although what is the $25 credit for?

2 minutes ago, tonyfall1 said:

Ok so my plan will be to get a 1 day deviation. Rent a room at an airport hotel that has a shuttle to and from. I see quite a few at a reasonable price. Although what is the $25 credit for?

It's just a credit. If you are asking why they give the credit, I can only speculate about their reason. Maybe it is easier for them if they do not have to get everyone using BOGO in on the same day. Or maybe they are glad it alleviates much of the risk of delayed flights causing their passengers to miss the cruise.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, tonyfall1 said:

If you choose the BOGO airfare, cost of airfare is added to your reservation.  Cost of transfers to/from the airport/port are added to your reservation.

If you choose a 1-day deviation pre-cruise, the cost of the airfare does not change.  You will get a $25 credit on your invoice. The cost of the 1-way transfer is removed, the post-cruise transfer remains.  If you choose to stay after the cruise, you also get a $25 credit and the cost of that transfer is also removed. You might arrive in the morning, before hotel checkin, so be prepared.

If you wish to stay near the airport so you can return and take the NCL transfer, you will need to call and have that transfer cost added back. I have done this many times. But be forewarned, not all reps understand that process.  Some will tell you to just go to the NCL rep when you get to the airport.  Nope, I want to be sure that they have a reservation for me.  If you make the request after final payment but before the 75 day deadline the system might charge a penalty - if that doesn't resolve within a couple of days, you'll have to call to get it fixed.  And on rare occasions, they will not allow you to return to the airport (had that issue in Buenos Aires, don't know why).

I'm assuming the $25 credit is an incentive to get people to fly in a day earlier - less of a hassle for NCL, so they don't have to contend with people missing cruises due to flight delays on the day of the cruise.

Hope that clears up your questions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, julig22 said:

If you choose the BOGO airfare, cost of airfare is added to your reservation.  Cost of transfers to/from the airport/port are added to your reservation.

If you choose a 1-day deviation pre-cruise, the cost of the airfare does not change.  You will get a $25 credit on your invoice. The cost of the 1-way transfer is removed, the post-cruise transfer remains.  If you choose to stay after the cruise, you also get a $25 credit and the cost of that transfer is also removed. You might arrive in the morning, before hotel checkin, so be prepared.

If you wish to stay near the airport so you can return and take the NCL transfer, you will need to call and have that transfer cost added back. I have done this many times. But be forewarned, not all reps understand that process.  Some will tell you to just go to the NCL rep when you get to the airport.  Nope, I want to be sure that they have a reservation for me.  If you make the request after final payment but before the 75 day deadline the system might charge a penalty - if that doesn't resolve within a couple of days, you'll have to call to get it fixed.  And on rare occasions, they will not allow you to return to the airport (had that issue in Buenos Aires, don't know why).

I'm assuming the $25 credit is an incentive to get people to fly in a day earlier - less of a hassle for NCL, so they don't have to contend with people missing cruises due to flight delays on the day of the cruise.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

julig22,

If I choose a 2-day deviation pre-cruise, I still prefer to go back to the airport to get NCL airport transfer to the cruise port on the embarkation day.  How can I know what time I should arrive the airport and where to meet the NCL rep?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

We had the one day deviation for our August 6th cruise from Southampton. The transfer from Heathrow remained on our invoice, and we were on their list when we found them the next day at the airport.

Even though I was told when we booked an excursion to the airport (as DW said we were not spending that many hours at the airport) and they said the original transfer would come off automatically, I had to go and ask for it to be removed.