Jul/Aug 2023 Riviera Impressions

dszrew

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Yes, I agree. Given the deluge of sales in 2023 so far alone, the only advantage to booking a cruise when the itinerary first opens is to guarantee you'll be on that cruise. Then watch for the future sales and make the cabin changes. I did that for both our late 2023 cruise and our late 2024. Booked these cruises when the itineraries opened in 2022 and then changed cabins using sales. No problem for us going G to C to B to A, if that works out with constant sales.

O seems to be delaying the 2025 release, as least compared to how early they released the 2024 cruises.

Does that still work with their new non-refundable deposit?  I guess if you don't have to cancel and rebook to get the sale price it's fine but I think I am going to watch and wait for something like the extraordinary sale or the 4 category before booking anything in the future.  

9 minutes ago, babydrum said:

Does that still work with their new non-refundable deposit?  I guess if you don't have to cancel and rebook to get the sale price it's fine but I think I am going to watch and wait for something like the extraordinary sale or the 4 category before booking anything in the future.  

They are having the 4 category upgrade sale right now. Good luck!

On 9/9/2023 at 7:58 PM, dszrew said:

Terrace cafe is far above HAL buffet, and the options for fresh grilled lobster or steak can't be beat.

I suspect you meant “grilled to order” rather than “fresh grilled”.  The lobster and steak are frozen rather than fresh - a necessity with being at sea for many days.

1 hour ago, babydrum said:

I only book a cruise that I KNOW I want to be one and I'm willing to stay in the G or F IF no future sale opens up a better cabin. We cruise for itineraries. Not the cabin or the ship. They're secondary. I've got A3 and B3 upcoming on Riviera in the Med and F and C1 on Sirena in late 2024 in Baltic.

43 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

I only book a cruise that I KNOW I want to be one and I'm willing to stay in the G or F IF no future sale opens up a better cabin. We cruise for itineraries. Not the cabin or the ship. They're secondary. I've got A3 and B3 upcoming on Riviera in the Med and F and C1 on Sirena in late 2024 in Baltic.

I agree with you, I cruise for itinerary as well but I usually want a balcony because it feels like it extends the room for me.  I just know they require you to rebook for some of the sales because they are new bookings only so you'd lose the deposit because they won't let you apply it to the new booking.  That is why I said I'd watch the cruise and wait for one of the big sales to book initially so that I wouldn't lose the deposit.  I know it's not that much when compared to the total cost of the cruise, but it is something I'd consider before booking.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, babydrum said:

... I just know they require you to rebook for some of the sales because they are new bookings only so you'd lose the deposit because they won't let you apply it to the new booking....

I'm not making that assumption. The BOOKING number never has changed when I've used sales to upgrade a cabin. So doesn't appear to be a cancellation with a rebooking. Just a change in the booking. 

2 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I'm not making that assumption. The BOOKING number never has changed when I've used sales to upgrade a cabin. So doesn't appear to be a cancellation with a rebooking. Just a change in the booking. 

Congratulations!!! You seem to be an expert in sales and upgrades.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, babydrum said:

I just know they require you to rebook for some of the sales because they are new bookings only so you'd lose the deposit because they won't let you apply it to the new booking. 

Usually you do not need to  cancel & rebook  your TA can just get your booking re priced  with the sale price

19 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

We only book what we PLAN on sailing. Sometimes life happens though. We cruise for itineraries, but absolutely also the ship, accommodations, and cuisine. We always book a balcony. I need to be able to have my private space to smell and see the ocean. The new deposit policy is similar to other lines and not to some - who do refund that deposit. So if we book a cruise, it is with the intention of sailing it…..I think there may be some uncertainty around how Oceania will handle these “non-refundable” deposits as it is very new and untried. 

1 minute ago, Vineyard View said:

Of course, that also is an extra cost that we always incur, so why book without planning to sail that trip?

As I said, when I book I KNOW I will be cruising or using my travel insurance. I don't book a cruise only thinking I might cruise or hoping I might. I have every intention of cruising.

On 9/11/2023 at 9:12 AM, pinotlover said:

Personally, I’m not sure what the initial pricing means anymore. We were on the Vista in June and the ship wasn’t full, plus the cruise had been included in various sales. We’re looking at a GV (B2B) on Allura. The cruise is two years out and one segment is a Trans A. We’re not one of those that absolutely have to have a particular cabin, so with Oceania’s practice of constantly running sales, I see zero reason to book right now. Perhaps a four (4) Category upgrade sale will come along, or maybe something more interesting will appear next month when the remaining 2025 cruises are released.

I clearly see the current pricing as a first offer for a cruise on a new ship. Historically, the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th offer has been a better deal. Therefore I’m mostly ignoring prices on the 1st offer and examining itineraries.

We booked a Vista cruise yesterday on a four category upgrade sale. We got a fantastic price plus a wonderful concierge room with an extended balcony on deck 9. The ports weren’t our favorites and we may not get off the ship! Just excited to sail the new Vista ship.