phone on oasis

irish2005

You will be able to text from the Royal app. Both of you need to be connected to the Oasis/guest Wi-Fi.  It doesn’t always alert you that you have a text, but as long as you are both on the ships free Wi-Fi, you will be able to text back and forth.

No cost option:  When you leave port, put phone on Airplane Mode (this turns off cell phone service, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth).  Turn on Wi-Fi, and connect to the "guest" network.  If you want to use earbuds to listen to music / games, turn Bluetooth back on.  This texting option is using messages in the RCI app.  This is not normal text messages.

$500 option:  I need to receive phone calls and e-mail while on vacation, so I buy the internet package.  I use a cell phone feature called "VOIP" which lets me make voice calls using internet instead of cell service.  As such, making and receiving calls is not affected even when hundreds of miles from land.  I have even called people on board the ship using our cell phones.  (this option also lets me send normal text messages, and e-mail to those I'm traveling with)

Edited by gmerick

3 hours ago, gmerick said:

No cost option:  When you leave port, put phone on Airplane Mode (this turns off cell phone service, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth).  Turn on Wi-Fi, and connect to the "guest" network.  If you want to use earbuds to listen to music / games, turn Bluetooth back on.  This texting option is using messages in the RCI app.  This is not normal text messages.

$500 option:  I need to receive phone calls and e-mail while on vacation, so I buy the internet package.  I use a cell phone feature called "VOIP" which lets me make voice calls using internet instead of cell service.  As such, making and receiving calls is not affected even when hundreds of miles from land.  I have even called people on board the ship using our cell phones.  (this option also lets me send normal text messages, and e-mail to those I'm traveling with)

You don't need the VOIP thing if your phone allows wi-fi calling. If you have an iPhone, you can just go into the settings on your phone, click on "cellular," then click "wi-fi calling," and then turn on the option for "wi-fi calling on this phone." Of course you'll need to pay for the ship's wi-fi, but you don't need to pay for any other special VOIP plans or SIM cards etc.

I used my cell phone to call the United States from the middle of the South China Sea while I was on the Spectrum of the Seas in Asia a couple weeks ago, no problems except for one phone call that I was making in the proximity of a typhoon that made the connection a little bit choppy, but all other phone calls were the same as they would have been on land. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gmerick said:

$500 option:

How in the world are you paying $500 for a single device voom service.  I can buy a 4 device package for less than that on my next Harmony cruise and it isn't even a particularly good price right now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

How in the world are you paying $500 for a single device voom service.  I can buy a 4 device package for less than that on my next Harmony cruise and it isn't even a particularly good price right now.

My Jan 2024 Anthem -- 11 days, internet for 2 (they need two devices, as I'm fairly sure hubby and spouse aren't sharing the same phone to leave voice mail for each other) is $518 at the non-discounted rate.  Today's 30% off sale is $362.89 .

BTW: VOIP is the industry name for Wi-Fi calling.  That protocol is standard on iPhone, and most newer Android devices.  If not provided, there are many free alternatives; I use Google Voice.

Edited by gmerick

5 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

4 hours ago, gmerick said:

My Jan 2024 Anthem -- 11 days, internet for 2 (they need two devices, as I'm fairly sure hubby and spouse aren't sharing the same phone to leave voice mail for each other) is $518 at the non-discounted rate.  Today's 30% off sale is $362.89 .

BTW: VOIP is the industry name for Wi-Fi calling.  That protocol is standard on iPhone, and most newer Android devices.  If not provided, there are many free alternatives; I use Google Voice.

I thought the $500 was for an external VOIP app or something. 

Edited by ARandomTraveler

4 hours ago, gmerick said:

So, in other words, a very non-typical cruise and purchasing internet in a non-typical way (paying full price once you get onboard).  

For the OP's edification... right now a single two device package which can be shared with another person so you can wifi call, text, surf and email will run you about $225 on a typical 7 day cruise not $500 as has been previously mentioned.  

That being said, I would make sure you have wifi calling set up on your phone prior to getting on the cruise ship.  Put your phone in Airplane mode at home and set it up and test it on land before hand.  If you are not tech savvy I'm sure there are some teenagers in your life who could do it in about 10 minutes.

Edited by Tree_skier

8 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

So, in other words, a very non-typical cruise and purchasing internet in a non-typical way (paying full price once you get onboard).  

For the OP's edification... right now a single two device package which can be shared with another person so you can wifi call, text, surf and email will run you about $225 on a typical 7 day cruise not $500 as has been previously mentioned.  

That being said, I would make sure you have wifi calling set up on your phone prior to getting on the cruise ship.  Put your phone in Airplane mode at home and set it up and test it on land before hand.  If you are not tech savvy I'm sure there are some teenagers in your life who could do it in about 10 minutes.

😂😂