Aft Cabins on Nova

JHLH821

We have booked an Alaskan cruise for 2025 on Nova. We selected a mid-ship location but I see there are aft cabins available on decks, 6, 8 and 9.  Does anyone have feedback(positive and negative) if you have recently sailed, or are on the ship now in relation to movement, noise, etc.  There is also white space adjacent to the area (assuming this is a crew area) which we typically avoid.

Thank you

Leta

I posted the same question on another site and most of the feedback was that we should stay mid-ship, due to motion. My take on this is that the motion depends on where the ship is sailing, rough seas, etc.

We have been in rough seas before and though we've never been in an aft cabin, we've been close and never experienced any issues.

Have always wanted to book an aft cabin and we're leaning toward changing. We are now on deck 8 and the cabin we're looking at is also on deck 8.

There are actually three separate areas on a ship regarding motion.  Midship is the calmest (and lower decks even more so).  Forward (and high) is the worst – you will really feel the motion, like a small child on a seesaw.  Aft is a compromise, think of a larger person on the other end of the seesaw [the weight of the engines is that larger person].  I would never book forward, but have not had a problem with aft.

Haven’t been on nova but usually take aft suites on Seabourn.  Love them.  They do “rock and roll” sometimes but it doesn’t bother  my husband and I.  We don’t get seasick.  In fact when we have on occasion had to take everything off shelves and put toiletries in the sink with a towel over them I sleep like a baby ( I’m a terribly light sleeper).  So if that doesn’t bother you it’s a great view from your terrace.  We are anxious to try nova or ray especially with their aft suites.

I have Nova, Ray, Explora 1 and 2 aft cabins booked....while all that midship lower deck stuff may be true, I've never see it quantified. Rocking in a rocking chair burns more calories than lying on the couch, but not really going to make a difference. All the best suites (silver otium, explora owners) are aft. 

4 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

I hope they have improved the vibration.  It was so bad the first night I actually had to get up and move the drink and wine glasses to the couch for the night.  After that we put wash clothes between the glasses to keep them from rattling.   That aside we really loved the large verandah of that suite and the view of the ship’s wake/propeller wash.   The location was good too because of the aft orientation of the dining and bar venues of the ship.   That might be a bit different on the new Nova/Ray ships with their more evenly dispersed venues.   

Our TA switched us to an aft cabin on deck 8. We are glad to have made the switch as we've always wanted to reserve an aft cabin but they were never available. Thank you for your feedback.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 5:02 AM, frankhi said:

I have Nova, Ray, Explora 1 and 2 aft cabins booked....while all that midship lower deck stuff may be true, I've never see it quantified. 

I've never noticed much difference between midship and aft, but I must admit that I've stayed in an aft-facing cabin only once (and it was high enough that vibrations weren't an issue).

High and forward, though . . . .  That can make a real difference in a smaller ship.  You won't catch me staying in a high forward cabin on a smaller ship.  We were on a fairly forward cabin on deck 8 on  Whisper, and it very nearly did me in.  I don't mind rocking at all, but the motion wasn't rocking.  It was more like getting bumped over and over and over and over.  Fifteen nights of that was almost more than I could bare, and that was in the relatively smooth Caribbean.  I don't typically have a problem with ship motion, but I can't tell you how relieved I was whenever we would dock or anchor.

We were back on board a few months later but in a cabin that was on deck 6.  It was noticeably smoother, even though it was more forward and we were in the open North Atlantic.

31 minutes ago, frankhi said:

Plus the connecting one sleeps 3. I think that means a sofa bed couch. I find sofa bed couches are never a comfortable as regular ones for sitting on. I also picked 8091 on Nova

when are you travelling? I will ask for your feedback post trip. This cruise is not until 2025

On 9/9/2023 at 10:49 AM, JHLH821 said:

We have booked an Alaskan cruise for 2025 on Nova. We selected a mid-ship location but I see there are aft cabins available on decks, 6, 8 and 9.  Does anyone have feedback(positive and negative) if you have recently sailed, or are on the ship now in relation to movement, noise, etc.  There is also white space adjacent to the area (assuming this is a crew area) which we typically avoid.

Thank you

Leta

The problem is the answer to your question is subjective.  First, the new SS (& others) are being built better and run smoother, so motion is less & less of an issue.  However (now the subjective part) some people feel the smallest movement and others feel none. I fall in the category that the motion of the ocean doesn't bother me one bit.  I love the aft cabins on the right voyage - ie one that is not headed east due to afternoon west sun - and never had motion issues.  Others want to be as close to the exact middle of the ship as possible - more middle, less motion,   Aft cabins allow you to see more from your balcony vs one side of the vessel.  But others will say you can see more from the top deck.  Each to their own.  I will say one issue I dont like about aft cabins is you tend to get no breeze in the back.  On the sides, you can lean out & and enjoy the breeze, but in the back it tends to be dead air.   My suggestion is try it once - you'll either find you like it or don't.

• 2 weeks later...

I also love aft cabins but had a bad experience years ago on a Princess Alaska cruise and it makes me hesitate to book another without some research.  Apparently our suite was above an area where garbage was stored and vented to the outside.  We could not use our huge, lovely veranda because the stench was unbearable.  After numerous complaints we were given a massive OBC because there were no other suites available.  The OP mentioned a white space next to the aft cabin they’re interested in.  I would recommend finding out just what that is.

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

I also love aft cabins but had a bad experience years ago on a Princess Alaska cruise and it makes me hesitate to book another without some research.  Apparently our suite was above an area where garbage was stored and vented to the outside.  We could not use our huge, lovely veranda because the stench was unbearable.  After numerous complaints we were given a massive OBC because there were no other suites available.  The OP mentioned a white space next to the aft cabin they’re interested in.  I would recommend finding out just what that is.

We decided to move to an aft cabin on deck 8.  On another platform I read a current passenger's trip report- he is sailing on Nova now in an aft cabin and there has been ZERO vibration or added movement. No smells either. He highly recommends them.  (I would surmise that the white space is a crew area) to be avoided due to noise and traffic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off Nova.  We weren't in an aft cabin, but we did spend a good deal of time in the outdoor, aft areas while underway.  The only time we noticed any extra noise or vibration were when the ship was settling sail or docking (plenty of reversing and using thrusters).  I noticed no fumes at all.

We had a VERY nice dinner outside at La Terazza on deck 4.  If we were going to notice anything while underway, that would have been the time.  No issues at all.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, DCPIV said:

We just got off Nova.  We weren't in an aft cabin, but we did spend a good deal of time in the outdoor, aft areas while underway.  The only time we noticed any extra noise or vibration were when the ship was settling sail or docking (plenty of reversing and using thrusters).  I noticed no fumes at all.

We had a VERY nice dinner outside at La Terazza on deck 4.  If we were going to notice anything while underway, that would have been the time.  No issues at all.

When you were on the aft decks, especially the outside area of the Panorama lounge, did you feel the aft balconies were very visible?  I switched away from one of those balconies on level 6 bc it seemed anyone sitting on their balcony would be feel exposed, very public.  Anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Just now, mchell810 said:

When you were on the aft decks, especially the outside area of the Panorama lounge, did you feel the aft balconies were very visible?  I switched away from one of those balconies on level 6 bc it seemed anyone sitting on their balcony would be feel exposed, very public.  Anything you'd like to share would be appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't think there would be much of a problem.  If you were standing near the rail, then I would expect I could see you.  Maybe a little more than that if I were all the way aft and you were on 6  I did pay some attention to that when we were out there, but it was hard to tell (which I suppose is a good thing).  It did seem that they were set back enough.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

I don't think there would be much of a problem.  If you were standing near the rail, then I would expect I could see you.  Maybe a little more than that if I were all the way aft and you were on 6  I did pay some attention to that when we were out there, but it was hard to tell (which I suppose is a good thing).  It did seem that they were set back enough.

Thanks for the quick response.  The information is helpful.  I think I made a good move for me as I like to stand at the rail when we are docking and didn't consider the public spaces when I first booked. 

Edited by mchell810
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, DCPIV said:

Thank you for your observations. We are glad we switched to an aft cabin.

• 5 months later...
On 10/4/2023 at 9:23 AM, Emtbsams said:

We have book the Master suite on the Nova which is right below the Dusk Bar and the jogging track.  I hope that isn't a huge mistake.

How was your trip? Any issues with noise/vibrations or views? We have booked 9088 on the Nova.