Aft Cabins on Nova

JHLH821

We just booked 7080 on Nova.  We like that it’s between stateroom floors, is aft, not high and close to the launderette.  The only negative is that it adjoins to the suite next door.  Can anyone comment on the potential for noise in adjoining cabins vs non-adjoining?

5 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

We just booked 7080 on Nova.  We like that it’s between stateroom floors, is aft, not high and close to the launderette.  The only negative is that it adjoins to the suite next door.  Can anyone comment on the potential for noise in adjoining cabins vs non-adjoining?

Not only is it adjoining, but it is the 2nd bedroom for the Master Suite next door – so you may get bumped if Daddy Warbucks wants it.  [I think.  I have 6088 booked on Ray, which is the same situation.]

Posted (edited)

I'll be interested to hear about 6088. I have wondered why it is a classic veranda while the other aft facing verandas are premium. It does looks a little different on the deck plan.

Edited by frankhi

On 9/25/2023 at 6:19 AM, JHLH821 said:

We decided to move to an aft cabin on deck 8.  On another platform I read a current passenger's trip report- he is sailing on Nova now in an aft cabin and there has been ZERO vibration or added movement. No smells either. He highly recommends them.  (I would surmise that the white space is a crew area) to be avoided due to noise and traffic.

I have booked an aft cabin on deck 9 of Silver Ray in 2026.  NOT a connecting cabin through careful choice.  Friends love aft cabins on NCL and Celebrity, but they book out extremely quickly.  With the upgrade offer a few months ago, I decided to give it a try.  The more expansive view and larger veranda tempted me.  

I had not even thought about afternoon sun, but fortunately I will be on a transatlantic from east to west, plus the Caribbean.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Not only is it adjoining, but it is the 2nd bedroom for the Master Suite next door – so you may get bumped if Daddy Warbucks wants it.  [I think.  I have 6088 booked on Ray, which is the same situation.]

We have 8070 on Ray in the fall of 25.  Same situation.  We wanted 8091, (the other aft non-adjoining cabin) but it was already gone as of 11/23.  Seems as though they do go fast. 

Daddy Warbucks notwithstanding, how can they bump you if you've booked a specific cabin?  Has that happened before?  If they ask nicely and offered something considerable, that's another story.

Edited by Winemaker_1

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The cruise consultant informed me that the master suite next door is already booked and they don’t need that adjacent cabin.  I’ve never heard of anyone being bumped from a cabin for that reason on SS…does that happen often?  Seems like SS gets paid for all the space either way.  Why would they do that?

14 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

7080 is directly below 8070, which we booked, so I assume the configuration is similar.  When we  looked at the layout of our aft cabin against that of the Master Suite next door, it looked like the adjoining door is in their long hallway - an area I suspect guests don't spend much time in other than coming and going.  The Master Suite bedroom, bathroom and closets look to be on the far side of that hallway. Their living room is at the back.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

The cruise consultant informed me that the master suite next door is already booked and they don’t need that adjacent cabin.  I’ve never heard of anyone being bumped from a cabin for that reason on SS…does that happen often?  Seems like SS gets paid for all the space either way.  Why would they do that?

I don't know of it on Silversea, but have heard of this happening on other cruise lines.  But you are safe since the suite has already been booked!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, NanaChar said:

I was watching a Youtube video which stated that some of the Nova aft cabins have an obstructed view even though there is no note about it on the site or in the pamphlets.  Has anyone encountered this?

That would be interesting to know.  Perhaps we can find some photos of the aft exterior of this ship.  I’ll try to search that.

1 hour ago, NanaChar said:

I was watching a Youtube video which stated that some of the Nova aft cabins have an obstructed view even though there is no note about it on the site or in the pamphlets.  Has anyone encountered this?

That would be interesting to know.  Perhaps we can find some photos of the aft exterior of this ship.  I’ll try to search that.

Edit: now that I’ve seen some photos it may be possible that the center aft suites on 6,7,8 might not have a full 180 view because of the curvature of those decks.  Otherwise I don’t see any large obstructions.

We were in 8072 on the Nova - aft center suite, a Medallion. The view was great and the balcony was large -and very deep. Standing at or close to the railing you had 180 degree view, no obstructions. As the balcony was very deep, in the room your view was narrower (see below)

20240117_181328.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 9/10/2023 at 6:02 AM, frankhi said:

All the best suites (silver otium, explora owners) are aft. 

Cannot speak for Silver Nova aft suites. But on Explora the problem is not motion but NOISE. The high cost aft suites ("Residences" in Explora speak) overlook the aft pool. When kids are playing there it can be hard to be on your balcony. Also, when the ship is in a tender port they use the thrusters along with GPS to keep the ship in position rather than use anchors. The noise and vibration are awful.

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Also, when the ship is in a tender port they use the thrusters along with GPS to keep the ship in position rather than use anchors. The noise and vibration are awful.

Sadly this is the future: new ships will all be forced to have GPS thruster positioning to save the planet.  [I say:  Save the old ships!]

19 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Sadly this is the future: new ships will all be forced to have GPS thruster positioning to save the planet.  [I say:  Save the old ships!]

2 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Also, when the ship is in a tender port they use the thrusters along with GPS to keep the ship in position rather than use anchors. The noise and vibration are awful.

It’s been reported Nova has very little vibration and wouldn’t it only be a real problem if the ship is anchored overnight?  We spend very little time in our suite during the day.

14 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

wouldn’t it only be a real problem if the ship is anchored overnight?  We spend very little time in our suite during the day.

Two thoughts on that. First, if you are paying for a top suite with a huge balcony, you might spend a lot of time there. Secondly, the ship often "anchors" early in the morning. We were woken by, and kept awake by, the thrusters around 6AM several days on Explora.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 7:39 PM, Angels3 said:

How was your trip? Any issues with noise/vibrations or views? We have booked 9088 on the Nova. 

Sorry for the late reply.  Yes, we could hear joggers above us but no noise in the evening.  Granted it was on the TA, and the weather was cold so there wasn't a lot going on at the Dusk Bar.

I do not recommend 9086 Master Suite for several reasons - it is smaller than similar suites on lower decks.  The closet is half the size of the other Master suites because they had to move the dressing table into the closet since the bedroom didn't have room for it.  The only positive about that Master suite is that there is a huge window in the bathroom which is not in some of the other Master suites.  

We had friends in a Master on deck 6 who said they could smell cigar smoke.

From my casual observation, but not actually verified, I believe deck 7 is actually a bit wider than the other decks judging from the depth of the verandas.

On 3/7/2024 at 12:05 AM, Host Jazzbeau said:

On 3/7/2024 at 4:39 AM, frankhi said:

I'll be interested to hear about 6088. I have wondered why it is a classic veranda while the other aft facing verandas are premium. It does looks a little different on the deck plan.

We are in 6088 on the Ray in June - I will take photos and post here upon our return. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2