Arrival time & safety briefing with overnight port

seainworld

Hi, we are on Viking Saturn from Barcelona.  The first night is overnight in port.  Does it matter what time we get to the ship on the first day? (I am thinking of an all-day excursion so may not arrive until early evening).  Do they hold the safety briefing on the 2nd day before departing port?  Thank you!

I would call Viking to be sure, but from our experience, on the first day, people arrive at all times, flights are delayed, etc., so yes, if overnight in port, you should be able to arrive at anytime.

The safety briefing for Viking is on the Stateroom TV and you must watch that - I believe before the TV will go to normal use.

Also, they take attendance for the safety briefing if done in person, so if you were absent, they would catch up with you.

If it were me, I would do your excursion and not worry about what time you arrive to the ship.

How is your luggage getting to the ship?

Edited by CDNPolar
  • Like 1

Our experience is that you get a short safety briefing upon boarding at your assembly station by a crew member and then are directed to watch the safety video before the ship departs.  There is a general announcement from the bridge with horns.  

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I would call Viking to be sure, but from our experience, on the first day, people arrive at all times, flights are delayed, etc., so yes, if overnight in port, you should be able to arrive at anytime.

The safety briefing for Viking is on the Stateroom TV and you must watch that - I believe before the TV will go to normal use.

Also, they take attendance for the safety briefing if done in person, so if you were absent, they would catch up with you.

If it were me, I would do your excursion and not worry about what time you arrive to the ship.

How is your luggage getting to the ship?

We are staying a few days in Barcelona so we will leave our luggage at the hotel as we do the all-day excursion.  Then shuffle over to port...

As my post a few up says we did a cruise with day 1 over night just a few weeks ago. I now remember that as we boarded there was a safety brief ..... in small groups .... we were seated about 1 dozen folks, in the waiting area just out side main dining and a short safety talk was given. Especially a demonstration of the new style lifejackets which are aboard. I dunno if these are unique to SATURN - new ship - but they are 'different' .... I do believe they scanned our cards at this time. THEN the next day as I mentioned just b4 sailing was some general announcements and the demonstration of the horn signal etc etc.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:36 AM, Capt_BJ said:

As my post a few up says we did a cruise with day 1 over night just a few weeks ago. I now remember that as we boarded there was a safety brief ..... in small groups .... we were seated about 1 dozen folks, in the waiting area just out side main dining and a short safety talk was given. Especially a demonstration of the new style lifejackets which are aboard. I dunno if these are unique to SATURN - new ship - but they are 'different' .... I do believe they scanned our cards at this time. THEN the next day as I mentioned just b4 sailing was some general announcements and the demonstration of the horn signal etc etc.

Thanks!