Rome Airport - meeting point?

Froufie

Having never yet flown into Rome/Fuimicino airport I am hoping some 'experts' can help me out.

My friend and I are flying in, arriving on a Monday morning within (hopefully!!) a half hour of each other.  She is from the US and I am from Canada.

Questions:  

1)  How long does it typically take to go through Customs/Immigration in Italy?  (I assume this is done after debarking/before luggage pickup).

2)  Once through the above I presume one would head to baggage pickup - is this located in one big hall?  e.g. can we see all other carrousels

3) I believe all international flights would be arriving in Terminal 3?

3)  After luggage pickup I assume there is an 'exit' to where drivers/people would be waiting - is there anywhere there/nearby or a designated space where we might be able to find each?  (turning wifi of course).   we do plan to hire a ride to our Rome hotel...... (what time should be tell him to show up to allow for customs/immigration/luggage/meetup etc).

Any details or airport map/info on a good meeting place would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Edited by Froufie

Immigration and baggage claim can take an hour. Customs takes a couple of seconds,  literally. 

There is a place immediately after exiting Customs,  a big pole with the words  "Meeting Place" on it. You will meet your driver here.

Virtually all good car services will ask for your flight info and track your flight. They will know when to be there.

1) I usually budget one hour for immigration/passport control (first step), then collecting luggage (second step). Customs is not a "thing" -- if you're a normal vacationing traveler, you only need to collect your stuff and walk through the doors that say "Nothing to declare."  

2 &3) Baggage from all incoming overseas flights ends up in the same area (it's in Terminal 3). There are a large number of baggage carrousels there. There are signboards notifying you which carrousel your bags will be on by flight # and origin. There are a few chairs in the luggage hall, so one option would be for you to collect your own luggage and then wait for your friend in the luggage hall. If you have her flight #, you can check which carrousel will be hers (after her flight lands). There are bathrooms in this area but nowhere to buy anything to eat or drink.

4) As mentioned above, once you get your luggage, you go through the "Customs" area, then through a door that leads into the large Arrivals lounge. This is where you'll see all the pre-arranged drivers with signs awaiting their passengers, as well as reps organizing tour and cruise line shuttles, etc. Once you pass that scrum, there are a couple of small shops (e.g., you can buy water, a few snacks, get coffee, etc.), a cash machine, and a couple of Information spots. There must be a few seats here but I do not recall many.

Once you exit the luggage hall, I don't think you can get back in, so if you decide to wait outside, be sure your friend understands where to meet.

The map below shows the T3 Arrivals area. I've added pink arrows to show the "usual" route. The luggage belts are shown in blue, some are much closer than others. The customs area is circled in Green, that is where you exit the controlled area and enter the arrivals lounge. I also put a green circle next to the TI point I've used as a meet-up spot.

image.thumb.png.fe7058baf4755141fe5dd71ebe5c5d7e.png 

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

I suggest loading whatsapp on your phones.  The airport will have free wifi so you can text each other about your location.  This will be important if the 2nd flight is delayed by an hour or two. 

We did this at Heathrow when I arrived 4 hrs after my friend.  This gave her the freedom to wander around, shop, and sit down at a restaurant.  When I got thru Passport Control, I texted her to say "I'm here.  Where are you?"  She texted back " I'm at Fornum and Mason having bfast".   Very easy for me and she didn't have a miserable wait.