Wifi free anywhere on Princess ships

Candycane10

23 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

iMessage does require internet. At one time passengers on some cruise lines were able to use iMessage, WhatsApp and FaceTime on some ships because the ships server was allowing those apps to connect to the internet over their WiFi even without a plan. In simple terms they were getting through because of the way the server was configured. The port they used had been left open. I don’t think it was on purpose but apparently it was not simple to close that port because other traffic used it. All the ships I have been on in recent times those apps don’t work. You can try iMessage or WhatsApp over the ships WiFi without a plan but they probably won’t work. 

Yes, that’s my understanding as well as I had posted previously in this thread. Thanks for confirming this but I am still going to be cautiously hopeful 😀

12 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

If you don't have Internet, how can they call you? People can call me anytime I'm on a ship since I use Wi-Fi calling. I certainly don't want to pay for cellular service on a ship, and I normally don't pay for it in ports outside of the United States either.

You don't have to have a Wi-Fi plan to allow people to contact you on the ship. In all our years of sailing we haven't had one call. 

12 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I do on your DIY while in port.  The unlimited Internet is a great way to stream YouTube videos from people who experienced the ports to get an idea of what to do.  In addition, I use the Internet to pre purchase tickets (saved us an hour line up at the Guggenheim in Bilbao and the Picasso Museum in Malaga recently), check transit schedules, check maps/directions--just to plan my day overall in port.  Don't really like booking while at home because I can never predict changes to the cruise itinerary and I may get left holding the bag if what I booked is non-refundable.  I guess this stuff matters less in the Caribbean?

That's in addition to the work I have to complete while working remotely on the ship.  Princess' retired demographic can't seem to grasp this idea.  I get so many weird stares and questions about why I'm working while on "vacation" and about how their generation actually had to show up to work.  

I do all my planning before I leave home. It's much easier that way.

28 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

You don't have to have a Wi-Fi plan to allow people to contact you on the ship. In all our years of sailing we haven't had one call. 

I do all my planning before I leave home. It's much easier that way.

Yes.  We do all our planning at home too but that poster said they didn't want to purchase non refundable tickets in advance so they do it while on the ship.  We were very recently on a Med cruise.  Our stop in Kotor was cancelled early on the same day as the port day.  I guess his/her plan to book tickets, etc while onboard would only work if the ship was already docked or in my case already at anchor.  Maybe though that is what they meant.

• Like 1