How Many Euros for Cruise?

sjmbruce

5 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

I didn't miss your point.  I was commenting on your post about Ricky Steves about paying withdrawal fees at the ATM.  You posted that article.  That's not the case in 99% of the times I've used ATM's over the past 40 years.

Whatever...

For my North American friends, a few things, firstly tap and go is commonplace and possibly up to $120 or more for each transaction. Also, whilst it might be commonplace to hand your credit card over in the US/Canada never do so in Europe, they will always bring the card machine to you. Finally, if you can find a bank that don’t charge overseas fees then use them. 

1 hour ago, strickers said:

For my North American friends, a few things, firstly tap and go is commonplace and possibly up to $120 or more for each transaction. Also, whilst it might be commonplace to hand your credit card over in the US/Canada never do so in Europe, they will always bring the card machine to you. Finally, if you can find a bank that don’t charge overseas fees then use them. 

Same in Mexico.  CC never leaves your sight.  No so common in the US

7 hours ago, orville99 said:

You also missed the point. My recommendation was to use a credit card for all purchases, and to avoid ATMs(especially non bank ATMs), European banks, and money exchanges. You are fortunate that your bank reimburses. Not all do.

Fortunately, the travel experts agree with my recommendations (which are based on more than 30 years of travel throughout Europe for business during my career).

Credit cards are the best way to pay internationally (assuming no fees) and bank ATM's are the best way to to get local currency.  ATM's usually convert at the posted rate (as do credit cards) and if you have a no fee CC, you get the best rate.  

On 9/16/2023 at 2:16 PM, sjmbruce said:

My husband and I are going on our first European cruise and are sailing for a week with Royal. We're staying in Venice for two days precruise, we'll want to buy food and souvenirs plus tip tour guides during the cruise, then we'll spend two days post cruise in Barcelona.  I have no idea how many euros will be needed. 

We take $1000 in euros (since that is what AAA will deliver free). "We use credit cards for everything" doesn't work in many taxis and small shops. Have cash, spend cash. Try to pay off your hotel and all expenses post-cruise in euros. Enjoy. 

On 9/16/2023 at 3:15 PM, orville99 said:

A credit card will give you whatever the current in country exchange rate is, a bank or ATM will tack on a service charge. I always do money exchange at my local US bank before I travel abroad.

ATMs are usually the easiest and lowest fee/cost way of getting money. If your bank does not charge any transaction fees, then the transaction is at the current exchange rate. No fees incurred. 

18 hours ago, strickers said:

How is ApplePay working?