Mashed Potatoes

Cruising Princess

It’s funny how the critics of the food have travelled in the past 6 weeks, Celebrity cheerleaders in the main haven’t cruised since the quality slump. Looking at menus doesn’t tell the whole story, wait until you cruise and experience the “new” MDR then comment.

We had 14 wonderful Celebrity cruises with a great MDR, in August we had a big shock with the new mashed potato menus. Not just the tatties, the meals in general are a world apart from previous cruises and not in a good way.

I hope and pray that the high heid yins at Celebrity see the folly of their ways and reverse their damaging changes.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2023 at 3:31 AM, NeroliGirl said:

Currently on the Silhouette, day 10 of a 13-night cruise. 
Mashed potatoes do feature heavily on the MDR menu, but there’s quite a wide choice of other options. 
Here’s a screenshot of tonight’s dinner menu (taken from the app). 
IMG_4827.thumb.jpeg.7e689011b11badff1887076f43e87991.jpegIMG_4828.thumb.jpeg.bad1a843273059beeb61c2010ff427be.jpeg

We are currently on the 14 day Trans-Pacific Millennium sailing and I just went through and compared the various daily supper menus between your sailing and ours. For the most part, your menus do look like they have more variety of choice than ours do. As well, we have no offering of any "Sides".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, canloan said:

We are currently on the 14 day Trans-Pacific Millennium sailing and I just went through and compared the various daily supper menus between your sailing and ours. For the most part, your menus do look like they have more variety of choice than ours do. As well, we have no offering of any "Sides".

Wow, I’ve been following the current Reflection sailing along with my brother, as we will sail in February, and this is the menu for tonight. Except on Reflection there are no sides and no Irish Stew. Why do some ships offer an extended menu that offers more selection while other menus are sparse?

1 minute ago, thebutlerdidit said:

Wow, I’ve been following the current Reflection sailing along with my brother, as we will sail in February, and this is the menu for tonight. Except on Reflection there are no sides and no Irish Stew. Why do some ships offer an extended menu that offers more selection while other menus are sparse?

Probably has to do with supply chain issues at specific ports, where the ship stocks for the next sailing.

2 minutes ago, thebutlerdidit said:

And by the time you are on your February cruise the meus offered could be totally different. 

I really wish those of you that like the mashed potatoes would not make so many positive comments. Celebrity management will think they can charge a surcharge because they invoke the nostalgia of being a kid and enjoying a scoop of your mother's mashed potatoes!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, canloan said:

It does look to me they had to bring some of the deleted items back for the longer itineraries, which is good. But yeah the Silhouette offers more. 

Edited by tigervixxxen

10 hours ago, Rustyman said:

It’s funny how the critics of the food have travelled in the past 6 weeks, Celebrity cheerleaders in the main haven’t cruised since the quality slump. Looking at menus doesn’t tell the whole story, wait until you cruise and experience the “new” MDR then comment.

We had 14 wonderful Celebrity cruises with a great MDR, in August we had a big shock with the new mashed potato menus. Not just the tatties, the meals in general are a world apart from previous cruises and not in a good way.

I hope and pray that the high heid yins at Celebrity see the folly of their ways and reverse their damaging changes.

Which ship?  

15 hours ago, Rustyman said:

It’s funny how the critics of the food have travelled in the past 6 weeks, Celebrity cheerleaders in the main haven’t cruised since the quality slump. 

I promised myself not to get involved in more food threads as I have nothing more constructive to add but I and quite a few others have sailed in the last few weeks and posted positive feedback on food.

Edited by C4HCG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Guera53 said:

And it’s the one I’m sailing!

The waiters, maitre d, etc were embarrassed about what they had to serve but were so professional and did their best. The decision and policy makers are to blame for the food debacle but of course they remain at distance and don’t respond to complaints.

1 hour ago, Rustyman said:

The waiters, maitre d, etc were embarrassed about what they had to serve but were so professional and did their best. The decision and policy makers are to blame for the food debacle but of course they remain at distance and don’t respond to complaints.

Not only don't they respond to complaints, but when they do sail on the ships, I suspect the food served them is far superior than for the regular peons.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

This ship seems to have the most food complaints

I'll be doing a Ninja Cruiser™ review of the Silhouette buffet where we'll be eating every meal on our Oct 22nd TA.

Then at least folk will have an idea what they could be eating in Riff-Raff Class™ should the MDR menu not be spudtastic.

Spoiler alert - artfully arranged plate decoration and finely drizzled jus is not my speciality.

It'll be more about covering every inch of plate with as wide a variety of food as possible - curry and Yorkshire Pudding is a particular culinary crossover only really possible in a cruise ship buffet.

French fries will probably also figure heavily.

It looks like the Azores is the first place we'll find free WiFi to post some pics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baggy178 said:

I'll be doing a Ninja Cruiser™ review of the Silhouette buffet where we'll be eating every meal on our Oct 22nd TA.

Then at least folk will have an idea what they could be eating in Riff-Raff Class™ should the MDR menu not be spudtastic.

Spoiler alert - artfully arranged plate decoration and finely drizzled jus is not my speciality.

It'll be more about covering every inch of plate with as wide a variety of food as possible - curry and Yorkshire Pudding is a particular culinary crossover only really possible in a cruise ship buffet.

French fries will probably also figure heavily.

It looks like the Azores is the first place we'll find free WiFi to post some pics.

Don't forget the piled high counts too!