Well, I waited to get some more experience

Critically Cruising

Well: Thanks all for your contributions!...

Seems that totally informal is the new norm, especially welcomed by EJ!

Seems that big commuter express buses are the new normal for luxe line shore ex. Oh, my! How times have changed in those 3 years I have been out of touch with a cruise port and I may have not noticed!...

I should add, like Stickman, we have booked Explora again in Sept 24 on three back to back seven day cruises in Eastern Med. Certainly we have been tp those areas before but these will be to ports we have yet to visit. Only repeats one port : Athens. Pretty good planning. 
The conservatory pool alone is enough to lure me back. Largest pool on the ocean and the magrodome allows you to swim in any weather. I had a 66 minute swim yesterday, my longest in three years while ship was in Sydney NS in the rain. All alone. Paradise.  

Also visited yesterday the stern venues (pools, bars. Jacuzzis, Emporium) which we have missed due to our itinerary in Arctic waters. Fantastic. This ship is a real winner. And there are five more to come!!

They will work out the kinks and service issues. Senior staff have been most responsive to concerns from experienced cruisers. 
Anyone who has been holding back on making a booking should do it soon. I predict by the time Explora 2 sails this ship will be sailing mostly full. 
You read it here first!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Very exciting news. Many folks have been doubting beyond 1, 2 and 3. Looks like there will be six!! I hope to live long enough (now 84) to sail on all of them. They all will be state of the art vessels able to dock where oil powered ships will be banished. With all the jacuzzis, pools, restaurants they will knock the socks off Silversea and Crystal (as much as I love them) they are 35 year old ships. Waiting to see when new Crystal announces the third Crystal. I am sure it will be great but don’t expect to see it in the ocean until 2030 at the earliest. I’ll be 92 by then. One can always hope and pray but……

• Like 7

I am currently onboard Explora.

In the past, I have regularly sailed traditional "luxury" lines including Regent, Crystal and the "premium" line Oceania.  

Explora isn't a "traditional" cruise line.  They don't want to be.  

They want to appeal to a different clientele than the traditional ships, younger, more active, less jaded, they want to appeal to people that haven't even considered cruising before.

I have eaten in all the Restaurants and the only (epic) fail was Anthology and I understand they are already considering a change of concept for that venue.  I disagree with one of the previous poster that has said there wasn't enough variety in the restaurants. All the menus are varied and have starters, main courses of fish, fowl, meat and vegetables and are always beautifully presented.

Marketplace is the main breakfast venue and is large and set up in stations. This allows everyone to see what is on offer and also there are very short waits for food. I personally like it better than any other buffet type venue I have seen on any ship.  The food is very good and much of it is prepared to order with minimal wait times.

This ship is beautiful.  The best I have ever seen.  The Italians do style and design very very well.

To me, one of the key elements of "luxury" is space.  This ship has more space in the common areas than any other ship.  My late partner would often bristle at being seated "cheek to jowl' in restaurants on land or at sea.  On Explora there is none of that.  Even the coffee venue is spread out and has lot's of comfortable seating in groups of 2 or 4 but most of the chairs are easy to move so it is easy to add to these sizes. They also have snacks, mostly sweets and yogurt in the morning and grilled panini and other sandwiches in the afternoon if you need a small bite. 

The outside venues are also large and spacious. Deck 12 has alot of chaise lounges and sun beds as well as a run/walk track that encircles the entire deck.

Explora needs to improve their communication.  Obviously pre-cruise, and during the cruise they need to improve how they inform passengers when things change as they inevitably do.  In a conversation with the GM, who is quite visible onboard, he seems to be very aware of this failing.

I don't intend to be an apologist or a cheerleader for Explora and I know that many have been harmed by the delays and cancellations, etc. but I just wanted to give my perspective which is primarily positive. 

I think that as with all new concepts and products, there is plenty of room for improvement but I am glad that a line has finally stepped outside the traditional mold and decided to be different.  If you are wedded to the traditional format for cruising, this may not be for you.

Edited by Kissing Seahorses
  • Like 15

7 minutes ago, Kissing Seahorses said:

In the past, I have regularly sailed traditional "luxury" lines including Regent, Crystal and the "premium" line Oceania.  

They want to appeal to a different clientele than the traditional ships, younger, more active, less jaded, they want to appeal to people that haven't even considered cruising before.

I have eaten in all the Restaurants and the only (epic) fail was Anthology and I understand they are already considering a change of concept for that venue.  I disagree with one of the previous poster that has said there wasn't enough variety in the restaurants. All the menus are varied and have starters, main courses of fish, fowl, meat and vegetables and are always beautifully presented.

Marketplace is the main breakfast venue and is large and set up in stations. This allows everyone to see what is on offer and also there are very short waits for food. I personally like it better than any other buffet type venue I have seen on any ship.  The food is very good and much of it is prepared to order with minimal wait times.

This ship is beautiful.  The best I have ever seen.  The Italians do style and design very very well.

To me, one of the key elements of "luxury" is space.  This ship has more space in the common areas than any other ship.  My late partner would often bristle at being seated "cheek to jowl' in restaurants on land or at sea.  On Explora there is none of that.  Even the coffee venue is spread out and has lot's of comfortable seating in groups of 2 or 4 but most of the chairs are easy to move so it is easy to add to these sizes. They also have snacks, mostly sweets and yogurt in the morning and grilled panini and other sandwiches in the afternoon if you need a small bite. 

The outside venues are also large and spacious. Deck 12 has alot of chaise lounges and sun beds as well as a run/walk track that encircles the entire deck.

Explora needs to improve their communication.  Obviously pre-cruise, and during the cruise they need to improve how they inform passengers when things change as they inevitably do.  In a conversation with the GM, who is quite visible onboard, he seems to be very aware of this failing.

I don't intend to be an apologist or a cheerleader for Explora and I know that many have been harmed by the delays and cancellations, etc. but I just wanted to give my perspective which is primarily positive. 

I think that as with all new concepts and products, there is plenty of room for improvement but I am glad that a line has finally stepped outside the traditional mold and decided to be different.  If you are wedded to the traditional format for cruising, this may not be for you.

Love your post thank you 

Kisses for SeaHorse. I am aboard Explora as well and agree 100%. 
This is a new way of cruising and I like it. I have found reactions to concerns (complaints) very well received. For many days the giant screen in Conservatory telecast endless loops of Explora commercials. One complaint to the right person and we now have a static Explora logo. Very appreciative. 
Will we go back to Crystal?  Of course. We love watching movies in a theatre. They have the best French toast and waffles. Plus we know all senior staff by first name. But after our EI credits run out we will be spending a lot of time on Explora’s six ships!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Whipsnade said:

Kisses for SeaHorse. I am aboard Explora as well and agree 100%. 
This is a new way of cruising and I like it. I have found reactions to concerns (complaints) very well received. For many days the giant screen in Conservatory telecast endless loops of Explora commercials. One complaint to the right person and we now have a static Explora logo. Very appreciative. 
Will we go back to Crystal?  Of course. We love watching movies in a theatre. They have the best French toast and waffles. Plus we know all senior staff by first name. But after our EI credits run out we will be spending a lot of time on Explora’s six ships!

Love it since i will be on soon both comments make your experience come alive thanks 

2 hours ago, Kissing Seahorses said:

Also love your post :).  You have added to our excitement (we board on Monday).  I would like to know more about Anthology (good and bad) as nobody has posted any first-hand info on this venue.  We have been thinking about booking that restaurant, but may not be so eager if there are major issues with a $500+ dinner.  

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This article provides decent insight to Anthology and the new chef who will be coming onboard.  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/explora-i-switches-up-its-onboard-michelin-starred-chef-a-live-preview-from-new-york-city-s-aquavit.  I would interested to get one's insight.  We will be on Explora in December.  

9 minutes ago, parallax said:

This article provides decent insight to Anthology and the new chef who will be coming onboard.  https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/explora-i-switches-up-its-onboard-michelin-starred-chef-a-live-preview-from-new-york-city-s-aquavit.  I would interested to get one's insight.  We will be on Explora in December.  

Interesting that she does not come aboard until Quebec.  I assume that means that Anthology will not operate during the 8 day cruise from NYC to Quebec City.  As to the cost, while we agree it is a bit MUCH, we have non-refundable OBC which we need to use for something.  That kind of price is not uncommon for Michelin 2-3* restaurants where even a $1000 meal (for 2) is not unusual.  Can Anthology achieve that kind of quality with guest chefs?  We have no clue....yet!

Hank

• Like 1

$1000 for tel in two and three star restaurants is NOT the norm unless they are celebrity type chefs catering to folk who have too much cash. I am from NYC so I can confirm we can have a two or three star meal in Manhattan with a decent wine for half that. And then to charge that on top of what you are already paying for dining in board??!! Nuts. 
Just because it costs more does not make it better. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

Very exciting news. Many folks have been doubting beyond 1, 2 and 3. Looks like there will be six!! I hope to live long enough (now 84) to sail on all of them. They all will be state of the art vessels able to dock where oil powered ships will be banished. With all the jacuzzis, pools, restaurants they will knock the socks off Silversea and Crystal (as much as I love them) they are 35 year old ships. Waiting to see when new Crystal announces the third Crystal. I am sure it will be great but don’t expect to see it in the ocean until 2030 at the earliest. I’ll be 92 by then. One can always hope and pray but……

Wow! Congrats to you on your 84, still happily cruising the high seas!...

As for EJ, I wholly agree with you. If they're able to tweak their "software" to the hardware level, they'll be such a thing in the cruising industry. There is such a market for some younger, more active folks that simply just want something some steps above the norm, while tailored to their post-urban upper-affluent lifestyle. As you say; the day they capture the message and tweak the "software" their ships will be almost full with just long wait lists available in case of any possible withdrawal.

Silversea I believe is renovating their fleet right now, part of the RCCL empire. Crystal is more complex. They promise 2 new ships till 2029. But there is no order book yet, nor designated shipyard. Possibly not an owner able enough to carry the thing too much longer... Time will tell, I'm not that confident to say the least. They'll live well with their current fully refurbished ships for the next 5-10 years. After that it is an obscurity, even though nice ships any way.

4 hours ago, Kissing Seahorses said:

True! Come the good software, they'll to make it justice to the wonderful hardware.

5 hours ago, Kissing Seahorses said:

the only (epic) fail was Anthology and I understand they are already considering a change of concept for that venue.

Do you mind if i ask, what happened with your Anthology meal? We were just debating whether to book that ourselves for our Nov 17 sailing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I really wonder if new Crystal has the financial clout to be part of the next gen. cruising. MSC and RCL have unlimited funds to build and command the market. The $$ needed to move up was what limited the earlier Silversea gen. Manfredi could not raise enough $$ to compete do he sold to RCL. Now he wants to build new ships. Probably needs to raise a billion yo do it. I wish him luck as he single-handedly crested luxury cruising thirty five years ago with Silversea. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, parallax said:

We will be trying it out 22 October. I’ll report back. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whipsnade said:

I really wonder if new Crystal has the financial clout to be part of the next gen. cruising. MSC and RCL have unlimited funds to build and command the market. The $$ needed to move up was what limited the earlier Silversea gen. Manfredi could not raise enough $$ to compete do he sold to RCL. Now he wants to build new ships. Probably needs to raise a billion yo do it. I wish him luck as he single-handedly crested luxury cruising thirty five years ago with Silversea. 

Me too. I seriously doubt new Crystal to be part of the next gen as well. In their credit, they're now being top standard on the way they treat their employees. An example that should to be more than followed elsewhere. They have attracted some 80% of them. They're happy there. I follow a Brazilian whom works there as concierge and his videos are notorious on their pride to be part of that adventure... But one doesn't make omelets without eggs. No new ships, no next gen.

As for the biggies, only MSC has now the deep funds to command the market... Oh, and China, of course!... Even RCL had to sell Azamara for a reason... The industry will change dramatically in the next years to come and Europe will suffer a bit over it because for now there is no real 2028-32 order book in perspective. My 2 cents? Here we go; forgive the off topic, but it is cruising related, so...

1) The mainstream market will hopefully revert to the ~150k GT size ships. Enjoy the A380's of the seas till there are. There won't be more.

2) The Premium market will set on the ~100k GT ship size.

3) The Luxury one will set on the below 70k ship size.

4) If Europe wants to save itself on the shipyard front they'll need to find investors interested on what RCL, CCL and NCL groups will to leave behind them.

As an optimistic, I'm here for the best, but things are not really that shining these days...

EJ will likely to command the new luxe market as they please, come the good software to join the superb hardware.

Edited by Nunagoras

8 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

EJ will likely to command the new luxe market as they please, come the good software to join the superb hardware.

Based on everything I’ve read so far, EJ aren’t in the luxury market, not even close.  But I’ll judge for myself on 20 October.  Hoping to be pleasantly surprised and amazed 🙂 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, florisdekort said:

Based on everything I’ve read so far, EJ aren’t in the luxury market, not even close.  But I’ll judge for myself on 20 October.  Hoping to be pleasantly surprised and amazed 🙂 

Traditional "old guard" luxury market? No, they aren't. And they don't want to. Read @Kissing Seahorses post #30 to have the best documented product analysis of the line I have read to date from someone whom is or was onboard. That said; give them the next 2 or 3 years and they'll to have an as superb software to the wonderful hardware they already have. By the time E3 is set to sail there'll be wait list for any possible withdrawal only option to try to book those cruises. Filled to capacity they'll be!... Simply they have the proper eggs from where they'll to make omelettes... No other cruise line has similar eggs on the global market. Viking? To an extent, but they're a very regimented product, just for those few ones on the English speaking markets they admit in. Await a bit and you'll see...

2 minutes ago, Nunagoras said:

Traditional "old guard" luxury market? No, they aren't. And they don't want to. Read @Kissing Seahorses post #30 to have the best documented product analysis of the line I have read to date from someone whom is or was onboard. That said; give them the next 2 or 3 years and they'll to have an as superb software to the wonderful hardware they already have. By the time E3 is set to sail there'll be wait list for any possible withdrawal only option to try to book those cruises. Filled to capacity they'll be!... Simply they have the proper eggs from where they'll to make omelettes... No other cruise line has similar eggs on the global market. Viking? To an extent, but they're a very regimented product, just for those few ones on the English speaking markets they admit in. Await a bit and you'll see...

You keep comparing to other cruise lines that aren’t in the luxury market either. First Azamara, now Viking. Maybe we just have different definitions of luxury. 

14 minutes ago, florisdekort said:

You keep comparing to other cruise lines that aren’t in the luxury market either. First Azamara, now Viking. Maybe we just have different definitions of luxury. 

Well. All those companies are in the luxury market, but as on everything else, even there, we have sub categories on the same main segment:

Half-luxury: Azamara; Viking; Oceania.

Full-luxury: Seabourn, Silverseas, Regent, Crystal.

Post-modern luxury: EJ

Hope to have explained a bit better my stance on that market.

• Haha 1

Nunagoras is 100% on the mark re the future of the luxury market. EJ will be the gold standard, like it or not. Think of it!!  Six 900 pax ships in the next 4/5 years. No one else that I know of has even contrsctef for.new luxury ships, let alone building them. Covid and the banks are holding everyone else back. MSC has been in the worldwide shipping business for hundreds of years. Family controlled. Pretty much access to unlimited funds. 
We are still on board until Monday in NYC. Have booked three cruises in Sept 24. Was told yesterday they hope to have itineraries released for balance of 25 (now only out thru April 25) by end of the year. I will be watching and booking fast as I expect as more folks come on board bookings will soar. Prices already up 25% from when I booked 18 mos ago. 
Just, please, please, please get rid of so many cabins with tub shower only.   

• Thanks 1