Entertainment and Food

tjsmama

Posing a question to those cruisers that have cruised Carnival and Celebrity. I need honest opinions on the food/entertainment on Celebrity compared to Carnival. I have cruised multiple times on Carnival and a couple of times on NCL and RCCL. The food seemed comparable, maybe a bit better on NCL/RCCL than Carnival but the entertainment was way better on NCL/RCCL than Carnival. Is it the same way with Celebrity or is the food/entertainment better (or worse/the same) than Carnival?

I have sailed both, but it has been a long time since I’ve sailed on Celebrity.  However, I watch a lot of YouTube videos about all of the lines and I feel I can venture a decent comparison.

Celebrity’s food, overall, is much better.  The biggest difference is the buffet;  Celebrity’s is exceptional and Carnival’s is average to sub-average.  The MDR is closer.  Carnival’s is generally good while Celebrity’s is better-than-good.  Carnival wins on quick-serve additional included dining (your Guy’s Burger Joint/Blue Iguana/Shaq’s Big Chicken).  It looks like Celebrity’s specialty dining is better (although both are quite good).  However, it looks like specialty dining on Celebrity costs more, in most cases, than on Carnival.  Celebrity used to be much, much better than Carnival for room service.  They had a large, complimentary menu available with hot and cold dishes and you could order from the MDR menus during meal times and get MDR food delivered to your cabin at no additional charge.  It looks like that has gone away!

As for entertainment, Carnival tends to stick to the classics of live music and song-and-dance production shows.  Celebrity has more specialty acts.  They have featured aerialists in their shows for decades.  However, Carnival has begun adding such entertainment in their Excel Class ships.  

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tjsmama said:

Posing a question to those cruisers that have cruised Carnival and Celebrity. I need honest opinions on the food/entertainment on Celebrity compared to Carnival. I have cruised multiple times on Carnival and a couple of times on NCL and RCCL. The food seemed comparable, maybe a bit better on NCL/RCCL than Carnival but the entertainment was way better on NCL/RCCL than Carnival. Is it the same way with Celebrity or is the food/entertainment better (or worse/the same) than Carnival?

I haven't been on Carnival in a while, but I'm pretty sure the food on Celebrity is much better, class adjusted, than Carnival.

Entertainment, surprisingly, I thought was fairly even.  Most shows on either line didn't interest me, but what shows there were I enjoyed.  Carnival has more comedians and comedy shows, if that's what you're into.

It's tough to compare things that are so different. You'll probably find that entree for entree, you will find a higher quality on Celebrity. On that note though, it doesn't mean it's the superior choice for everyone. Some people may actually enjoy some of the quick options that lines like Carnival have. 

Going on Carnival Jubillee in May 24, was on the Celebrity Summit last August 2022 and food had already gone way down hill since my Apex cruise earlier in Feb 2022.  Buffet's were unremarkable and Dining room menu's lacked imagination and the sea day brunch was a mess.  Tuscany Grille was good but Le Petite Chef was just about the show, strip steak and french friends were the menu so nothing thrilling.

I haven't sailed Carnival since 2018 but food is always consistent.  I've always been a big fan of quick options of Burritos at the Cantina and Guys Burgers but even to have the Wok and deli sandwiches made fresh to order has kept me happy when on a Carnival cruise.