London or Southampton the night before?

Pinky33

Hi all, I just booked a cruise out of Southampton for June, 2024. I’m wondering how advisable it is to stay in London the night before and then have an early train/bus ride the following morning to the port. I’m staying in London for several days after, so time in London isn’t a huge concern. 

If you're not doing your London sightseeing before the cruise, I'd stay in Southhampton. We stayed in London for a few days before our cruise out of Southampton in July and we only had to be at the train station by 10 (not so early for me). Since we flew home after the cruise that worked best for us. 

• Like 1

There's no problem travelling from central London to Southampton on the morning of your cruise departure - cheapest is direct bus from London Victoria in 2 hrs 30 minutes   https://www.nationalexpress.com/en 

or cheap advance tickets (available from about 10 weeks out) for direct train from London Waterloo in 90 minutes https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/  

or  coach tour-transfer from London hotel to Southampton ship https://www.internationalfriends.co.uk/shore-excursions-and-cruise-transfers.html 

or private transfer 2 hrs about £175 to £200 the car

or, for most ships, cruiseline-sponsored coach transfer from London Victoria (probably worst-value of the lot, but some folk like being in the cruise line's hands).

There's a great deal to be seen in London, you'll only scratch the surface in a few days.

There's a lot more to England than the big bad city, but if you travel down the day before your cruise you'll lose half that day and can't really do much with the remains of the day.

So I suggest you either make it the morning of your cruise or allow 2 - 3 full days based in Southampton (great transport links to places like Portsmouth, Winchester, Salisbury, Bath.)

BTW, central London is far more expensive than Southampton

JB 🙂

EDIT - as I often do, I mis-read your post. 🙄

That advice for visiting London pre-cruise. But you'll be doing that post-cruise, in which case it really doesn't make sense to go from airport  to central London for a jet-lagged half-day.

Direct from Heathrow airport to Southampton by National Express bus or from Gatwick airport by train 

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Pinky33 said:

I’m staying in London for several days after, so time in London isn’t a huge concern. 

Post cruise, check out International Friends.  They pick up at Southampton dock with stops at Salisbury, Stonehenge and Windsor before dropping you off at the door of certain London hotels.  Purchase Stonehenge and Windsor tickets through them.

I great way to see other places before London.

I have taken them from Southampton and Dover.

www.internationalfriends.co.uk

• Like 1