Gluten Free Afternoon Tea

holidaylover10

Hi, Have just pre registered for our 1st Cunard cruise in 2025, I have coeliac disease so need to eat gluten free. I like the idea of afternoon tea and my question is do they have gluten free scones? I am from Devon so scones, jam & clotted cream are high on my list of favorite foods. Also on the Cunard website it says the pub has gluten free options, the menu doesn't show any. Does anyone have any gluten free knowledge on these venues please?

Hi.  I restrict my gluten but not Coeliac.  So when I’m on the ships I will always pick the gluten free options when available.  I was last on Queen Mary 2 in June and in the Britannia on several nights there were actually a couple of options on the main menu that were GF.  These were really very good.  I was very surprised as previously the only GF options were mousse type desserts but on this occasion they had made a very good cakes and pastries.  They did then let themselves down a bit as a few nights there weren’t any of these lovely options.  But we asked for the previous nights and although it may not have come with all the accompanying sauces etc the main part was available.

With regard to the scones I didn’t try any as they had them in wrappers and I had previously tried these and found they were just bought in and not freshly baked.  This may have changed.

Also in the pub I don’t remember seeing any GF options.  I eat the fish and chips but remove the batter.  I know this isn’t an option for you but if you email Cunard they will confirm to you your options.  

I would speak to the Maitre’d to confirm your requirements at the start to make sure that you get the menu in advance so you can request specific options from the following days menu.  

hope you enjoy it

Just make sure when you go the afternoon tea in Queen's Room to tell your waiter or the head waiter -- whoever you may see first -- that you are gluten free and they will take care of you including, as was said above, they will also have a sandwich for you and another pastry as well as the scone.

And if you want to avoid Queen's Room tea on certain days, King's Court also has their afternoon tea and if you ask at the counter where the scones are served, they will give you a gluten free scone -- but that is one of the wrapped ones so if you don't care for them, I would not suggest going to KC.

Was on QV August/Sept and in the Golden Lion they could do G/F Fish and chips or curry.

You had to order it the day and when we ordered it they proactively made us wait whilst the chef was consulted that he could do it the next day (which he could and did)

You could order the day before anytime they were open including the evening - they didn't need 24 hours notice

In the MDR first night they will give you a normal menu and you say what you'd like and they tell you what they can adapt to make it G/F.
Then it reverts to you get during dinner tomorrow lunch and evening menu. You chose what you want and they make it G/F for you-same menu as the rest of the restaurant will have.

They can also make the “off menu” choices G/F as well should you not find something you like on the main menu.

Breakfast my tip is really iterate the G/F part if you order scrambled or poached eggs as they come on toast circles that are not G/F.

Hope that assists 😄

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holidaylover10 said:

clotted cream

You'll probably be disappointed.

It is not clotted cream served with scones in Queens Room at afternoon tea.

It's a sort of quenelle shaped dollop of thick sweetish chantilly like cream. It's quite a nice cream but not clotted.

I have seen photos of clotted cream being served, which might have been from the Grills Lounge.

20 minutes ago, D&N said:

You'll probably be disappointed.

It is not clotted cream served with scones in Queens Room at afternoon tea.

It's a sort of quenelle shaped dollop of thick sweetish chantilly like cream. It's quite a nice cream but not clotted.

I have seen photos of clotted cream being served, which might have been from the Grills Lounge.

Sacrilege! I am sure it will still be tasty though 😋

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, D&N said:

I haven't worked out the logic, but on some sailings it's what I would call whipped cream, and on others it is clotted cream in the Queens Room. On my last QM2, they had served clotted from NYC to Southampton, but then it switched to whipped from Southampton to Hamburg to Southampton.

• Like 1