AMEX offer question

justhappy

My Amex Platinum has a new offer for $200 statement credit off a 1K purchase made with NCL. It has purchase exclusions listed as

shore excursions, gift cards, transportation and onboard purchases. It doesn’t mention that Cruisefirst  certificates are excluded. Has anyone purchased OBC or Cruisefirst with one of these offers?

TIA

I need to check our Amex cards!  It has been my experience that it looks for the NCL charge.  A cruise first cert comes through as a NCL charge so it should work, no problem.  You will know fairly quick as Amex will send you an email once the pending charge posts congratulating you on using the offer.  

just checked…I have the offer on my Amex EveryDay Card.  Yay,

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, justhappy said:

My Amex Platinum has a new offer for $200 statement credit off a 1K purchase made with NCL. It has purchase exclusions listed as

shore excursions, gift cards, transportation and onboard purchases. It doesn’t mention that Cruisefirst  certificates are excluded. Has anyone purchased OBC or Cruisefirst with one of these offers?

TIA

I would expect AMEX only cares about you spending $1000 on your card. How the rest is paid (other card, Cruise First, whatever) should make no difference.

17 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

I would expect AMEX only cares about you spending $1000 on your card. How the rest is paid (other card, Cruise First, whatever) should make no difference.

I e already got a cruise booked and paid for, I booked it and paid in full last month, so I’m assuming that’s why I got this offer.

I’ll pay the whole amount of a 1K purchase on the Amex card, and I really don’t need and Cruisefirst certificates as I still have 3 cruisenext certificates in my account.

I would prefer buying two OBC of $500 each and that way I’d get a better deal with buying cruisenext if I wanted to. 
I assume OBC that you purchase is refundable if not all used, correct?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, justhappy said:

This offer specifically excludes shore excursions, so don’t want to risk it.

I know it says that, and I totally understand your worries…but it does trigger the bonus. Also, it doesn’t have to be one charge, it will track all NCL purchases from the time you add the offer until it expires on 12/31.  Thanks for posting about the offer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

I know it says that, and I totally understand your worries…but it does trigger the bonus. Also, it doesn’t have to be one charge, it will track all NCL purchases from the time you add the offer until it expires on 12/31.  Thanks for posting about the offer.

You’re welcome and thanks for the information about the charges!

I tend to check for new offers every week, just in case something I can use pops up! 
There’s also a See’s Candy offer I’m going to take advantage of 😁

• Like 1

I’m in the same boat as others,  Have two cruises cooked for this year, both paid in full and prepaid gratuities already.  My question is, how do they know what are onboard purchases?  Don’t the charges all show us as being charged to Norwegian?  I was planning to buy 4 CNs next week, which would be a good chunk of the $1000.

17 minutes ago, justhappy said:

I e already got a cruise booked and paid for, I booked it and paid in full last month, so I’m assuming that’s why I got this offer.

I’ll pay the whole amount of a 1K purchase on the Amex card, and I really don’t need and Cruisefirst certificates as I still have 3 cruisenext certificates in my account.

I would prefer buying two OBC of $500 each and that way I’d get a better deal with buying cruisenext if I wanted to. 
I assume OBC that you purchase is refundable if not all used, correct?

Oops!

I misread what you were trying to do.

I also paid for mine in full last month.

I did not see this offer from AMEX. I just logged in to check my gold car offers - not seeing NCL.

OBC purchase seems the same as cash (it is refundable). Cruise First - maybe that slips through a crack, although from the wording it's hard to tell if it violates the spirit. Clearly, "extras" are excluded. The certificate is, potentially, for the actual (future) cruise, so it sounds reasonable. I don't think you have anything to lose by calling an AMEX agent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

I’m in the same boat as others,  Have two cruises cooked for this year, both paid in full and prepaid gratuities already.  My question is, how do they know what are onboard purchases?  Don’t the charges all show us as being charged to Norwegian?  I was planning to buy 4 CNs next week, which would be a good chunk of the $1000.

I going to assume that onboard purchases are ones made while you are actually onboard the ship. And I guess yhode are coded differently somehow.

1 minute ago, cruiser2015 said:

Oops!

I misread what you were trying to do.

I also paid for mine in full last month.

I did not see this offer from AMEX. I just logged in to check my gold car offers - not seeing NCL.

OBC purchase seems the same as cash (it is refundable). Cruise First - maybe that slips through a crack, although from the wording it's hard to tell if it violates the spirit. Clearly, "extras" are excluded. The certificate is, potentially, for the actual (future) cruise, so it sounds reasonable. I don't think you have anything to lose by calling an AMEX agent.

Thanks for the information re OBC. 
I have the Amex Platinum so it may only be available for that card.

Looking at previous threads for this offer it seems that people have been successful in adding $1000 of OBC, getting the credit and getting whatever’s left in cash on the last day of the cruise.  That’s where I’m leaning.  If it takes, great.  If not, the credit is refundable.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

Looking at previous threads for this offer it seems that people have been successful in adding $1000 of OBC, getting the credit and getting whatever’s left in cash on the last day of the cruise.  That’s where I’m leaning.  If it takes, great.  If not, the credit is refundable.  Thoughts?

Just be careful using the OBC for cruise next certs due to the non-refundable OBC you will get…especially if you have prepaid your DSC.  I can’t quite wrap my brain around how it would work…but something is whispering to me that you could leave $$ on the table from that NR OBC from cruise next .  Wishing you good luck.

13 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

But would you get it back in cash or a credit to your Amex?  And if the latter, would they pull back the $200 credit?

I've booked a preferred hotel and got the $200(?) credit.  I then cancelled the reservation -- not by design -- and the $200 was not pulled back.  Obviously, that's a different situation though