Paying for taxis in Quebec City

rsail203

50 minutes ago, rsail203 said:

Can you pay for Quebec City taxis by credit card and/or American dollars?

Google tells me "Most" cabs in QC take plastic, but it is advised to ask before entering.

If you pay in USD you will lose the exchange rate which is pretty hefty these days.  I wouldn't expect a cab to do the math and then have to deal with exchaning USD back to CAD

1 hour ago, rsail203 said:

Can you pay for Quebec City taxis by credit card and/or American dollars?

Most QC cabs take credit card-- there are a few that don't and a few cranky drivers who can but still wont. I'm up there a couple times a year for business and just use Uber-- its easier and you don't have these questions. 

No you can't use USD-- you're in Canada-- but I'm sure a cab driver would be happy to take it 1:1 given how much you would get hosed in that transaction. 

I was just there last month and we took a taxi from the airport to the old town area of QC.   The driver did not take a credit card, so I paid with C$.   I suspect he had a CC machine but would rather have cash so he just said that he didn't take cards.    Other than that he was very friendly.  We had a great time in QC.

Im here now and I offered a taxi driver $2 extra in Canadian dollars(all I had left) for a large bill or a lot bigger tip on my credit card. He preferred the cash. Used up all of my Canadian dollars. Tomorrow, I'll Uber to the port.