Starlink update 10/2/2023

POA1

This names the ships and says that the whole fleet will be equipped with Starlink by mid-December. I guess that means that the Nieuw Statendam will wrap things up just before we board in December. (Yay!)

https://www.satellitetoday.com/mobility/2023/10/02/holland-america-implements-starlink-on-its-ships/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Does anyone know when installation on the Rotterdam is scheduled? We embark on Oct 22 and it would be a bonus if it was completed by then as our experience with Starlink on Celebrity has proven it to be a game-changer.  We're not holding our breath that it will be completed by then but would love to know if anyone has any inside details on the install schedules for each of the remaining ships.

• Like 1

The dry dock schedule that is carefully curated by

@VMax1700

might hold some clues as to the schedule. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam is last up in mid December. A bunch of people on our 12/10/2023 sailing are from canceled NA voyages.

13 hours ago, POA1 said:

The dry dock schedule that is carefully curated by

@VMax1700

might hold some clues as to the schedule. I think the Nieuw Amsterdam is last up in mid December. A bunch of people on our 12/10/2023 sailing are from canceled NA voyages.

If I was a planner (and not just a control freak) then I would be pencilling in the end of November for Rotterdam, between Nieuw Amsterdam and Nieuw Statendam.  But I have no idea what is involved in installation; is it a day or a couple of days?  

Actually I am just mumbling to myself.  😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

If I was a planner (and not just a control freak) then I would be pencilling in the end of November for Rotterdam, between Nieuw Amsterdam and Nieuw Statendam.  But I have no idea what is involved in installation; is it a day or a couple of days?  

Actually I am just mumbling to myself.  😁

From what I understand, they install the new antenna arrays and some new hardware in front of the existing on board WLAN. It's not a gigantic job because all the access points remain the same. It would help to know if the previous installs were done at sea or during drydock. I'm thinking it could be be both because I doubt there was a hole in every ship's schedule. (But you, sir, are the expert in such matters.)

27 minutes ago, POA1 said:

From what I understand, they install the new antenna arrays and some new hardware in front of the existing on board WLAN. It's not a gigantic job because all the access points remain the same. It would help to know if the previous installs were done at sea or during drydock. I'm thinking it could be be both because I doubt there was a hole in every ship's schedule. (But you, sir, are the expert in such matters.)

Installation on Zuiderdam was done at sea during the end of the WC

• Thanks 1

Currently on Westerdam and the internet is great.  Starlink is such a massive upgrade.   If you plan on using VPN make sure you have it set up and working before boarding.  Many of the VPN sites are blocked.  I am on board for a couple more weeks and I am happy to run any tests people would like.