Yellow Fever Vaccine?

SophieM

A question for those of you who have sailed South America with stops in Brazil in the past year or two—if you are 70+, did you get the “recommended” yellow fever vaccine? If so, what side effects did you experience?

We will, of course, also be speaking with our doctor. 

Thanks!

We have a trip planned for next year to the Amazon.  the YF vaccine is recommended.  We received the vaccine in 2012 when we went to South America.  We are now 11 years older and we are both at the point that we do not feel that we want to subject ourselves to this vaccine again.  

At the time that we received it in 2012 neither DH nor myself had any side effects other than a sore arm for a few days.

Terri

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We have a trip planned for next year to the Amazon.  the YF vaccine is recommended.  We received the vaccine in 2012 when we went to South America.  We are now 11 years older and we are both at the point that we do not feel that we want to subject ourselves to this vaccine again.  

At the time that we received it in 2012 neither DH nor myself had any side effects other than a sore arm for a few days.

Terri

Terri, you may not need it anyway, see below taken from NHS website.

The yellow fever vaccine provides lifelong protection for most people.

A further dose of vaccine is recommended for a small number of travellers who are visiting yellow fever risk areas, including those who were previously vaccinated when they were:

• pregnant
  • under 2 years old
  • living with HIV
  • had a weakened immune system
  • before having a bone marrow transplant

Rarely, a further dose of vaccine may also be advised if there's a concern about the traveller's risk of yellow fever, for example, if they're working or living for some time in a high-risk area.

14 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

A further dose of vaccine is recommended for a small number of travellers who are visiting yellow fever risk areas, including those who were previously vaccinated when they were:

• pregnant
  • under 2 years old
  • living with HIV

Rarely, a further dose of vaccine may also be advised if there's a concern about the traveller's risk of yellow fever, for example, if they're working or living for some time in a high-risk area.

Thank you for the information.  Do you know if we need to get a waiver from our doctor?

Terri

24 minutes ago, Muckyduckway said:

• pregnant
  • under 2 years old
  • living with HIV

Actually, this is helpful information for me. I have tried to research this on the Internet for my own situation, but to no avail.

In 1967, when I was about 10 years old, my family all received the yellow fever vaccination in addition to many others. We lived in Oklahoma City at the time, and we had to drive a very long way to go to a military base as that was the only location where it was available to us. We were moving to West Africa.

So, now that I am 65 years old, would I need another YF vaccination? Unfortunately, I did not keep the paperwork that documents my previous vaccination. It was so long ago, I’m wondering if the serum has changed?, what is different now? Who knows? And it might be the kind of thing that my very nice PCP might not be able to answer.
For now, not really an issue as I have not booked a cruise where it is recommended or required. But I am curious 

Edited by PhD-iva
Edit

10 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

Terri

A single dose of Yellow Fever vaccine offers lifetime protection.  This was a change made several years ago from the previous every 10-years recommendation.  So it's now once and done...if had one any time in the past and you still have the yellow card, you're good to go.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/index.html

Edited by 1985rz1

23 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Actually, this is helpful information for me. I have tried to research this on the Internet for my own situation, but to no avail.

In 1967, when I was about 10 years old, my family all received the yellow fever vaccination in addition to many others. We lived in Oklahoma City at the time, and we had to drive a very long way to go to a military base as that was the only location where it was available to us. We were moving to West Africa.

So, now that I am 65 years old, would I need another YF vaccination? Unfortunately, I did not keep the paperwork that documents my previous vaccination. It was so long ago, I’m wondering if the serum has changed?, what is different now? Who knows? And it might be the kind of thing that my very nice PCP might not be able to answer.
For now, not really an issue as I have not booked a cruise where it is recommended or required. But I am curious 

All previous and new YF vaccinations are good for your lifetime (for most folks), but you need your Yellow Card to prove younhad it.  The serum has not changed.

1 minute ago, 1985rz1 said:

All previous and new YF vaccinations are good for your lifetime (for most folks), but you need your Yellow Card to prove younhad it.  The serum has not changed.

Thanks! This will help me for areas where the vaccination is recommended and not required. I might never get to any location where it is required. Appreciate this!

do you mind if I ask whether you have any medical background? I Don’t mean to be obnoxious……

10 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

Thanks! This will help me for areas where the vaccination is recommended and not required. I might never get to any location where it is required. Appreciate this!

do you mind if I ask whether you have any medical background? I Don’t mean to be obnoxious……

That's a fair question. No, no medical background, just notifications from the CDC about the change years ago.  It was in the news then and I went to the CDC site and the WHO site for confirmation.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/index.html

There are some exceptions.

https://www.cdc.gov/yellowfever/vaccine/vaccine-recommendations.html#:~:text=For most people%2C a single,the vaccine is not needed.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I was trying to remember when this took effect.  Here's the announcement from WHO in 2014:

extension-to-life-on-yellow-fever-vaccination-en.pdf

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, SophieM said:

I’d still love to hear from anyone our ageish (a young 74 or 65+) who has had the vaccine after age 60-65. 

Both of us had our YF vaccine in 2011.  We were 63 and 58 years old.  No problems whatsoever.  We never hesitated to get it.

Had the yellow fever vaccine last century (as Peace Corp volunteers) and in 2019, for our Amazon trip on the Insignia. We were < 70. The clinic offered great medical and educational advice, we had no problems. 

1 hour ago, ruthnlarry said:

Both of us had our YF vaccine in 2011.  We were 63 and 58 years old.  No problems whatsoever.  We never hesitated to get it.

Thanks, guys! Good to hear from you—it’s Jane & Ed from last August’s cruise ending in Istanbul. Hope you are well and still go going. 

15 minutes ago, SophieM said:

Thanks, guys! Good to hear from you—it’s Jane & Ed from last August’s cruise ending in Istanbul. Hope you are well and still go going. 

Hi Jane & Ed.  Good to hear from you.  Yes, we're doing great.  In a couple of months, we board Riviera in Istanbul to Abu Dhabi.  Before boarding, we're going to Cappadocia.

Hope you're great, and have plenty of trips planned! 

22 minutes ago, ruthnlarry said:

Hi Jane & Ed.  Good to hear from you.  Yes, we're doing great.  In a couple of months, we board Riviera in Istanbul to Abu Dhabi.  Before boarding, we're going to Cappadocia.

Hope you're great, and have plenty of trips planned! 

That sounds super, especially Cappadocia. Will we see you intrepid travelers up in a balloon? We have seven upcoming cruises! Ed keeps threatening to put me on booking lockdown. Enjoy your cruise! We’ll be on the Riviera in April Singapore to Dubai. 

5 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

That's a fair question. No, no medical background, just notifications from the CDC about the change years ago.  It was in the news then and I went to the CDC site and the WHO site for confirmation.

I bet you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Traveling Fools said:

I bet you stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night

Do you have any idea the blank stares I get when I say that to a (throat clearing) younger person ? 🤣

• Haha 2