First time with P&O and Azura

room with a view

37 minutes ago, Interestedcruisefan said:

Is Britannia bigger than Azura?

I always thought they were the same ship

Shes bigger.  Azura and Ventura are the same ship.  A lot of the Princess ships are also the same size as these three.

When you refer to "big ships" there aren't actually that many in the Carnival fleet, they think what you call "small ships" are pretty big.  This Wikipedia list includes the 2023 ship Norwegian Viva, there's a few coming next year including Princesses, but you can see the actual Carnival Corporation brands are pretty much overrun by the "monsters" of RCI, Norwegian and MSC.

Believe it or not Queen Mary 2 is still one of Carnival's larger ships by tonnage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

Edited by Megabear2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sandancer said:

One night a group saved 4 seats and there was a 94 year old lady, travelling alone who asked to sit there and they refused to let her sit down. Fortunately she was able to get one seat on the end of our row but I was furious.  

That’s simply appalling. The disgusting behaviour of some passengers is staggering.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s simply appalling. The disgusting behaviour of some passengers is staggering.

Perhaps there should be staff preventing seat saving as I've experienced on MSC.  On MSC Divina we were marshalled and directed as you are in Walt Disney World, move to the end of the row filling every seat etc.  

Unfortunately we are hearing more and more of these types of things and not just on P&O.

• Like 1

My husband had a very spirited discussion on a Princess cruise when we were told to move as the “gentleman” sitting in the row we had chosen pointed out that 10 of the seats were taken even though he was the only one sitting there. When he realised he was not going win this one he stormed off and reserved his 10 seats in another row. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

you can see the actual Carnival Corporation brands are pretty much overrun by the "monsters" of RCI, Norwegian and MSC.

Believe it or not Queen Mary 2 is still one of Carnival's larger ships by tonnage.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_cruise_ships

That's an interesting way of reading that list.  Of the 20 biggest, 8 are Carnival Corp / PLC, 7 are MSC, 5 are RCI and 0 are NCL.

Edited by cruising.mark.uk

13 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

That's an interesting way of reading that list.  Of the 20 biggest, 8 are Carnival Corp / PLC, 7 are MSC, 5 are RCI and 0 are NCL.

I read it as per the point reading the overall number which shows

Largest cruise ships in service

Royal Caribbean International 18

MSC Cruises 14

Norwegian Cruise Line 8

Princess Cruises 6

Costa Cruises 3

AIDA Cruises 3

Carnival Cruise Line 2

P&O Cruises 3

Resorts World Cruises 1

Celebrity Cruises 1

Cunard 1

Disney Cruise Line 1

As the person I provided it for thinks Britannia, Azura and Ventura are small I offered it so he can see where they fit into the equation, no other reason.

8 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

As I said, an interesting perspective and a novel use of the word 'overrun'.

Not really something to worry about, it was simply offering the link so ICF could see where Britannia etc rank in the biggest.

I'm certainly not going to argue with you over it, anyone can form their own view.

13 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

It's a question of whether you go by gross tonnage (volume) or passenger capacity. However RCIs current 5 Oasis class ships, with a 6th on order, are currently way ahead of the rest on both tonnage and passenger capacity, and their next generation Icon of the seas due to launch next year will be even bigger. 

So despite Carnival's planned 9 excel class ships, RCI is still way ahead in both volume and passenger capacity.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

So despite Carnival's planned 9 excel class ships, RCI is still way ahead in both volume and passenger capacity.

Absolutely.  And the big fight is between RCI and MSC, which has announced 4 of the World Class with an option on a fifth.  It seems these two are destined to try to outdo each other in terms of having the 'biggest', but once the 9 Excel class are all in service, Carnival will be well up there with them (certainly not 'overrun').  And NCL isn't really in the game.