Port of Barcelona?

Redtravel

On 10/6/2023 at 4:45 PM, WayneLaR said:

As has been posted previously, the Northern dock, or World Trade Center dock, in Barcelona is closing later this month.  Leaving the only option the Southern dock.  I believe their capacity is either 7 or 10 berths (too lazy to look it up) meaning the port of Tarragona is going to becoming more prevalent in the future.  Cruise lines will be listing it as Barcelona (Tarragona), similar to what they do with Rome (Civitavecchia).

I recovered from my laziness and looked it up.  The southern Barcelona docks (the one with the 5 terminals, A to E) have, or at least used to, berthing capacity for 10 ships.  The new regs that will shut down the northern city center dock, also restricts the southern dock to 7 ships at any given time.  This change is scheduled to come into effect Oct 23, 2023.

In a nutshell, if through cruise mapper or similar, you discover there are 8 or more ships scheduled to be in Barcelona that day, something is going to have to give and at least one will have to be diverted to Tarragona.

2 minutes ago, WayneLaR said:

I recovered from my laziness and looked it up.  The southern Barcelona docks (the one with the 5 terminals, A to E) have, or at least used to, berthing capacity for 10 ships.  The new regs that will shut down the northern city center dock, also restricts the southern dock to 7 ships at any given time.  This change is scheduled to come into effect Oct 23, 2023.

In a nutshell, if through cruise mapper or similar, you discover there are 8 or more ships scheduled to be in Barcelona that day, something is going to have to give and at least one will have to be diverted to Tarragona.

So then we are still in limbo?

51 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Embarkment stop.

As I posted way back in post #2, Barcelona announced a year back that in the near future only ships embarking would be docking in Barcelona proper. Other ships would be Docking elsewhere. There attempt at crowd control.

We have a Barcelona port stop on our Allura cruise. Only a port stop and plainly say Tarragon.

From the Barcelona announcement, the docking port is not determined by the number of ships coming in but there purpose in the stop. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2023 at 11:39 AM, Redtravel said:

Hope that we don’t sail from Tarragona.  If so, it would be a real inconvenience.  We will be staying in Barcelona prior to our May cruise.

Tarragona is an amazing town with amazing old Roman ruins. It is an amazing embarkation point. When Oceania uses as an embarkation point they indicate such by showing Barcelona (Tarragona). Oceania has already had sailing in/out of Tarragona. 

9 hours ago, Sabbycat said:

Tarragona is an amazing town with amazing old Roman ruins. It is an amazing embarkation point. When Oceania uses as an embarkation point they indicate such by showing Barcelona (Tarragona). Oceania has already had sailing in/out of Tarragona. 

We had the chance to visit Barcelona on three occasions, and stayed there a number of nights.. the city center was very convenient. Because of that, I  would not mind at all visiting Tarragona. I have heard the same thing…that it is a treasure n
For others, having time in Barcelona is important as it is a wonderful city and experience. 
I would just want to know in advance, and it sounds as if that will happen

But as has been said before on this thread, embarkation ports are more secure, so likely it will be Barcelona.