Is an Arctic Superior that much better than a Polar Outside cabin?

MattInFLL

I didn't realize I chose a Polar Outside for my r/t from Tromso on the Kong Harald, until I reviewed my booking again.  I called and asked about upgrading to the Arctic Superior and it is more than double the price.

It seems the only real differences are having a view rather than an obstructed porthole, and a tea/coffee kettle in the room.  Is there anything else to warrant the big price difference?  I don't generally drink tea or coffee, so that is not important to me.  But if there is some other major amenity....

Thank you.

The Polar Outsides are, as far as I know, on the lower decks and thus may have more noise . They quite often have bunk beds instead of a double bed. If it's really double the price I'd wait until you actually  board and look at the cabin you have been assigned - quite often, if you are not happy, you can upgrade at low cost. Have you booked a guarantee cabin or did you choose a number and cabin category - that also influences the price. Hurtigruten cabins are notoriously small and a bit cramped, but most people don't care as they are more interested in enjoying the fantastic views, the food...

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you.  After my third call to the company to check on various aspects of my booking and excursions, I asked again about the upgrade.  This time the rep said it was only a few hundred more, and did not understand the "wild" quote I was given before (he could see it in the notes).  So I jumped at it.  

On the short port to port trips they don't let you book an exact cabin - you find out when you board.  I get into Tromso the night before, so I can board as soon as the ship gets in and sort everything out.

• 3 weeks later...

We have three cabins--two are Polar Outside, one is Arctic Superior. The main difference is a desk area in the AS.  One Polar is on deck 4 and the others are on 7. Avoid deck 6 unless you don't mind people walking by your window all day 🙂

You might want to wait until onboard. If yours is like ours (half full) they will be offerring upgrades at boarding and they will show you the cabin if you ask. Not the same, but we upgraded one inside cabin to Polar Outside for about $1,000.

Edited by Gretchendz

2 hours ago, Gretchendz said:

Avoid deck 6 unless you don't mind people walking by your window all day

Not deck 6 on all ships - on most ships it is actually deck 5.
I admit it is a problem when others can see through the windows, but on Northern Lights Voyages I prefer deck 5 to be able to get out quickly On Open deck when the Northern Lights are announced.

17 minutes ago, hallasm said:

Not deck 6 on all ships - on most ships it is actually deck 5.
I admit it is a problem when others can see through the windows, but on Northern Lights Voyages I prefer deck 5 to be able to get out quickly On Open deck when the Northern Lights are announced.

I can understand why--deck 6 seems better for lights viewing than deck 9 in general.  As we are on 7, it is an easy hop down to see them. Of course, my reference was for the Trollfjord only 🙂

• Thanks 1

Update--many more changes due to bad weather. We don't mind as safety comes first. Going to be so windy today they changed the restaurant schedule. It is still incredibly beautiful in the gloom.

Captain is giving a briefing right now.

One point on the service. We are traveling with a four month old baby. This morning the desk called and offered to let us move (for a few hours or until end of trip, our choice) from deck 7 to 4 so the motion will be less.  That is amazing customer service! So thoughtful.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gretchendz said:

Update--many more changes due to bad weather.

Thank you for the update.

Yes, at this time of year you can expect canceled ports, and moved dining times.
If the weather gets very bad I usually stay in my bed. Remember to check if there are things in the cabin or in the bathroom that could fall down and break - I put my toiletries in the sink.

Safety comes first. Fortunately, for some of the route the sailing is sheltered by islands and islets. Good continued journey.

• Like 1

Watching Trolifiod on Marine Traffic and noticed “gale force” winds and 5+meter waves ……yikes
I had not thought about cancelled ports, but it is understandable.

About that baby on board with @Gretchendz, that is certainly impressive customer service. Actually have heard nothing except outstanding customer service on board. But that sounds exceptional.

Yesterday was an almost perfect day in Oslo. The hotel staff kept saying, “this weather is a gift. Don’t fail to enjoy it.” And it was. 

Good luck to those on the ship now. We have fingers crossed that an upgrade to a suite might be a reasonable cost once we board tomorrow. If not, the AS cabin will be just fine.

So excited!

On 11/23/2023 at 10:32 PM, doobieb said:

Watching Trolifiod on Marine Traffic and noticed “gale force” winds and 5+meter waves ……yikes
I had not thought about cancelled ports, but it is understandable.

About that baby on board with @Gretchendz, t

@Gretchendz

Your trip is complete. What are your thoughts?

Seems your trip had some rough waters. How did you handle that? All ok?

We boarded Trollfjord yesterday and so far seas are very smooth. Arctic Superior room on Deck 7 is just fine. We had a place for all our stuff.. Upgrades once on board were $5000, so we declined. Our lunch on board was very good and we toasted with sparkling wine.  . Today we will try to get our dining time straight so we are with our travel group of 6 for meals. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, doobieb said:

@Gretchendz

Your trip is complete. What are your thoughts?

Seems your trip had some rough waters. How did you handle that? All ok?

We boarded Trollfjord yesterday and so far seas are very smooth. Arctic Superior room on Deck 7 is just fine. We had a place for all our stuff.. Upgrades once on board were $5000, so we declined. Our lunch on board was very good and we toasted with sparkling wine.  . Today we will try to get our dining time straight so we are with our travel group of 6 for meals. 

We did have several days of rough seas which was hard on my daughter who is terrified of being water anyway. They even gave us each a certificate for surviving the hurricane force winds.  The crew was exceptional.  I won't lie, the first half was better but not Hurtigruten's fault about the weather. It's Norway in November 🙂  We loved the parts above the Arctic circle the most.

We would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Gretchendz

We are on board now and have had very mild seas- some noticeable bumps that don’t seem to last too long.

This is my second cruise without seasickness- but I am wearing a medicated patch. It seems to work but causes dehydration. I cannot get enough water to drink.More annoying than anything. I am so sorry to hear about the hurricane force winds you had.

We have been spared that. Weather must change rapidly along the coast- we have had sunshine every day thus far.

The Christmas tree went up today.

The food is unique. I love the plan to source locally. I am eating some things never had before.  Many opportunities to try reindeer.🦌

Thanks for sharing your impressions. We were pretty well prepared clothes-wise for the trip. Just had to buy  a couple of items (gloves) because we lost them once on the ship.

Hurtigruten staff is outstanding. My husband had a minor medical emergency and the nurse on Trollifjord setup a plan for him to taxi to a walk in hospital. It went perfectly and by the end of the day, all was resolved.

👏

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, doobieb said:

Thanks @Gretchendz

We are on board now and have had very mild seas- some noticeable bumps that don’t seem to last too long.

This is my second cruise without seasickness- but I am wearing a medicated patch. It seems to work but causes dehydration. I cannot get enough water to drink.More annoying than anything. I am so sorry to hear about the hurricane force winds you had.

We have been spared that. Weather must change rapidly along the coast- we have had sunshine every day thus far.

The Christmas tree went up today.

The food is unique. I love the plan to source locally. I am eating some things never had before.  Many opportunities to try reindeer.🦌

Thanks for sharing your impressions. We were pretty well prepared clothes-wise for the trip. Just had to buy  a couple of items (gloves) because we lost them once on the ship.

Hurtigruten staff is outstanding. My husband had a minor medical emergency and the nurse on Trollifjord setup a plan for him to taxi to a walk in hospital. It went perfectly and by the end of the day, all was resolved.

👏

So glad it is going well.  I forgot to mention the nurse.  One of our party had a sinus infection--the nurse made a "house call" to the cabin 🙂

Enjoy the beauty of the trip!

• 3 weeks later...

After reading about the rough seas on your trip, I was a bit nervous when we boarded for the trip following yours. Evidently,the  seas used up all their energy during your voyage. We hardly ever felt the ship moving the whole 12 days. Even when we were passing through the areas they typically warn you about. Zero rain before or after the trip in Oslo and Bergen. 

Those little spike things we wore on our boots make walking a snap.I think the troll gods were smiling on us.

We left most of the really cold weather clothes behind to be donated- wool sweaters, wind pants, extra long underwear.wool caps,  fleece lined pants. We used about half of what we took with us. 

2 hours ago, doobieb said:

We left most of the really cold weather clothes behind to be donated- wool sweaters, wind pants, extra long underwear.wool caps,  fleece lined pants. We used about half of what we took with us.

We have been snowbirding in Fairhope, LA [lower Alabama 😅] and when we would arrive in January we would still like to have most of those things handy!!!

11 minutes ago, doobieb said:

@Host Jazzbeau  Fairhope- our favorite place in the state! We make an annual trek to the Grand Hotel there, usually between Christmas and New Years. 

Try the Wash House in Point Clear.  Doesn't look like much, but the food is terrific.

https://washhouserestaurant.com

And they're right next to Punta Clara Kitchen, with pralines to die for!!!

https://www.puntaclara.com