clothing and shoes questions

Jetswdo

On 10/7/2023 at 6:59 PM, Jetswdo said:

It's been 4 years since my husband and myself have been on a cruise- Last one was Celebrity Solstice- Alaska---

My husband wants to know if he is "stuck" having to pack his brown "good" shoes and black socks to wear at night in the restaurants, including Blu (we are in Aqua class) or can he just wear his nice white tennis shoes.  He wears  slacks at night and collared polo shirt.  I want to know if he should have a blazer  to wear at Murano's which I remember as being a bit dressier than the other restaurants. This is for a Mexico Thanksgiving cruise out of San Pedro. Anyway, I told him I will ask on Celebrity forum. Thanks, Anita

If either of you care what other people think about sneakers in Murano, bring the brown shoes

If both of you don’t care what others think, go with the whitey tighties 

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

This is what I’m wearing to Luminae every night on my next cruise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B62FGKK?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Excellent choice.

And for around the pool may I suggest this ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TwoZero-Mankini-Moustache-ManThong-Swimming/dp/B08D9VR894/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?crid=2160M5HGD9GC0&keywords=mankini+for+men+funny&qid=1696848111&sprefix=mankini%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-4

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

For US members, don’t click on this link as it’ll mess up your search function on Amazon to be a UK search (and difficult to get it back to US search)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cruise till you drop said:

For US members, don’t click on this link as it’ll mess up your search function on Amazon to be a UK search (and difficult to get it back to UandS search)

" and difficult to get it back to UandS search "

????

Your search engine is automatically based on your location each time you use it.

Edited by Baggy178

1 hour ago, Baggy178 said:

" and difficult to get it back to UandS search "

????

Your search engine is automatically based on your location each time you use it.

Not if you use the Amazon app on your phone. Trust me every time an American gives a link I have to go back into the app and switch the country which isn’t the easiest to find.

2 hours ago, Cruise till you drop said:

For US members, don’t click on this link as it’ll mess up your search function on Amazon to be a UK search (and difficult to get it back to US search)

How did you fix it?  Or are you still trying?

Edit

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-country-in-amazon-app-on-iphone-ipad/

Edited by zitsky

25 minutes ago, zitsky said:

How did you fix it?  Or are you still trying?

Edit

https://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-change-country-in-amazon-app-on-iphone-ipad/

I’m not sure if I fixed it the normal way but I had to click on a link my daughter sent me for a US based Amazon item and that reset it correctly 

• Like 1

So not only do we have to deal with Celebrity loosening the dress code and ruining the menu, we also have people posting random links designed to make us shop in a different currency.  When will this madness end?!  🥸

• Haha 2

As mentioned in several posts, there are now shoes that an are a combination of low-top sneakers and smart casual shoes. They have leather uppers and soles like sneakers. I have some and wear them all the time. I almost think that leather sole dress shoes are passé. I tried on a pair, and almost fell. When last on an X cruise I wore these “combo shoes” to the Luminae and specialty restaurants in the evening. And I also wore good jeans. Nobody complained, and I had plenty of company. And nobody even thought about looking at my socks. 

6 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

As mentioned in several posts, there are now shoes that an are a combination of low-top sneakers and smart casual shoes. They have leather uppers and soles like sneakers. I have some and wear them all the time. I almost think that leather sole dress shoes are passé. I tried on a pair, and almost fell. When last on an X cruise I wore these “combo shoes” to the Luminae and specialty restaurants in the evening. And I also wore good jeans. Nobody complained, and I had plenty of company. And nobody even thought about looking at my socks. 

Why do we have any dress code at all?

26 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Well, if we actually read the Celebrity smart casual dress code, it is pretty much wide open.  Very few things are prohibited. If you read the last sentence of the Chic Night dress suggestion, it is completely optional and smart casual still applies.  

I'm pretty happy with it. 

39 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Where are sneakers or trainers mentioned in the dress code? They are not prohibited, so they’d fall under suggestions, and they’re not mentioned there either. 

This isn’t a discussion of medals or ribbons on your Class A’s. That’s a dress code. This isn’t. 

• Like 1

Well, I think dress codes should be abolished — pretty much, but I would still hesitate to book Silversea without taking a tux or dark suit and tie. It’s called peer pressure. So most questions about dress codes are really about what is customary rather than what is mandated. And along those lines, I would like to inform the OP that brown leather shoes should not be combined with black socks. But in the evening on a cruise, nobody will notice.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unpopular opinion.

I think there should be one dress code that everyone follows.  And it shouldn’t allow shorts in the restaurants in the evening or tshirts or sandals or sneakers.  Because if we’re going to allow everything we shouldn’t even bother having one.  All this nonsense about nobody notices is just that.  Nonsense.

Just my opinion.

Edited by zitsky

41 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Unpopular opinion.

I think there should be one dress code that everyone follows.  And it shouldn’t allow shorts in the restaurants in the evening or tshirts or sandals or sneakers.  Because if we’re going to allow everything we shouldn’t even bother having one.  All this nonsense about nobody notices is just that.  Nonsense.

Just my opinion.

I have to say I agree. Unfortunately people don’t have common sense and that means guidelines are needed. The biggest thing if it’s not going to be enforced then what’s the point. I expected more from Celebrity. But I disagree about sneaker very much so. Sneakers are a great stylish classic look. My sneakers are what I get “detailed” by the shoemaker and they always look amazing. If royalty wear sneakers with a cute outfit then why should they be banned from the MDR?

Edited by SoloAlaska

38 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Unpopular opinion.

Just my opinion.

There is one dress code on Celebrity.  My opinion, which differs from yours, is it works great just as written.  No need to ban items that are not already prohibited.  I don't want to be presumptuous, but cannot imagine how someone else's footwear would have any impact whatsoever on someone else's dining experience.  

Just as an aside and out of curiosity, I wonder why flip/flops are prohibited when they are basically the same thing as as many of the sandals or slippers (whatever they are called) worn by many in the MDR.  If someone were to decorate their flip/flops with sequins or whatever would they be acceptable? 

Edited by ldubs
  • Like 1

Yes, we experienced no problem with the dress on X a few years ago. Long pants of some kind for men in evenings and a shirt with a collar. No shoe rule, except I think men were expected to wear some kind of shoe. Chicnnight was voluntary. I guess this boils down to no shorts and no t shirts..shouldn’t be a problem for anybody,

9 hours ago, zitsky said:

Unpopular opinion.

Just my opinion.

What is wrong with sandals? 
They can be nicer than close toes shoes 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

What is wrong with sandals? 
They can be nicer than close toes shoes 

If someone has a medical condition I could see why someone wears sandals or sneakers.  But how many people is that?  But why do women get to wear almost anything, shoes and clothing, but not men?

• Like 1

In the unlikely event of us eating anywhere on board other than the buffet I would expect a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to be a perfectly adequate dress code - anyone expecting anything else on board or ashore wouldn't receive our business.

Whatever anyone wears on their feet is entirely up to them.

It's 2023 for goodness sake not a Busby Berkeley musical.

54 minutes ago, Baggy178 said:

In the unlikely event of us eating anywhere on board other than the buffet I would expect a pair of jeans and a t-shirt to be a perfectly adequate dress code - anyone expecting anything else on board or ashore wouldn't receive our business.

Whatever anyone wears on their feet is entirely up to them.

It's 2023 for goodness sake not a Busby Berkeley musical.

Well it’s up to Celebrity.  But I can make up any rules I want.  Why don’t we all wear cut off jeans and flip flops everywhere?  It’s not Cunard for goodness sakes.