Latest possible disembarkation time after arrival in Miami

LONGLEAVER

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The longer you stay on the ship, the longer others have to wait.  

I don't believe this to be true, unless you're a stowaway deliberately hiding on the ship.  They nominally target 10:00 (or later) to begin the boarding process and just check the box that all non-continuing passengers are off the ship prior to that point.  It's not like the person on the dock calls HQ and says "hey, @ChiefMateJRKfinally walked off the ship so go ahead and start boarding."  Sure, it's somebody's job to make sure that the stragglers are off, but they generally complete this without a problem.  I've sat on the ship through a B2B transition, and the last names were called well in advance of the first parades of special Haven passengers (the ones following a crew member waving a "move aside, HAVEN coming through" sign).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Oh yes! We fly on AA back to Bermuda and have used AA’s Admiral Lounge several times. Both in MIA and in JFK. 

Your plan is the best. May I ask, which ship and when?

Hi,  we are on the Joy embarking 06.12.23 in Panama and disembarking 16.12.23 in Miami 

Hi Longleaver, We can also recomend the luggagelounge if you fancy a few hours on the beach.

We got an Uber there and dropped the bags off and relaxed on the beach, ready for our flight back to Heathrow.

Lunch at Finnigans Way

Edited by redlock

10 hours ago, IAcruising said:

Silly Brits and your date format. This Yank was totally confused. 😆

Lol...you mean silly Yanks 🤣 it's so weird how we can use the same language and still have different words and spellings and of course date format.

I did think about writing  12.06.23 but thought what the hell 🤣🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/9/2023 at 5:27 PM, UKstages said:

regarding the excursion ending at the airport tip... normally, that would work well, except the OP has (presumably) an international flight at 16:45.

that's 4:45 pm.

assuming they have to be at the airport two to three hours ahead of the flight, i doubt NCL's excursions would work. at the very least, it'd be tight. if the OP has airline status or some other expedited airport entry, they could save an hour or two, and there would likely be no problem. but NCL usually advises that excursions ending  at the airport are for departures only after a certain hour. check the description of the excursion carefully for flight departure time restriction.

Does anyone actually arrive to the airport three hours before their flight? We have an upcoming flight to Spain. We'll be at the airport at our usual one hour before flight time. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does anyone actually arrive to the airport three hours before their flight? We have an upcoming flight to Spain. We'll be at the airport at our usual one hour before flight time. 

I think you're cutting that way to close.  It may take you longer then an hour just to get through security, especially with what's going on now in  the world.  I would get there early,  have a little something to eat, have a drink  and relax.  One hour before flight time is too much stress for me to handle.  But,  then again,  I'm a worrier,  lol.  Whatever you decide,  I hope you have a fabulous cruise.🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Beach Life 1 said:

I think you're cutting that way to close.  It may take you longer then an hour just to get through security, especially with what's going on now in  the world.  I would get there early,  have a little something to eat, have a drink  and relax.  One hour before flight time is too much stress for me to handle.  But,  then again,  I'm a worrier,  lol.  Whatever you decide,  I hope you have a fabulous cruise.🙂

7 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

One hour for an international flight? I like the way you live on the edge.

I know, I know! But, I like to live on the edge. 🙂 

I do have pre-check. My husband doesn't which aggravates me to no end. We have amicably made a decision if he's not through security that I'll fly on without him. He can get his stubborn arse to wherever we're going later. 

I do swing through security about 20 - 30 minutes before my flights normally, so I feel that an hour is plenty of time for international. I'm not planning to check any luggage so don't need to worry about the airline whining that I've not checked bags in time. 

Y'all will hear all about if I make it (or not) when I start my live up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Your first international flight? If yes, I wish you the best of luck!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, redlock said:

The normal security line in Seattle took us 95 minutes to get through, a few weeks ago.

Whether this is standard for Seatac, or we just picked a bad day, I don't know.

SeaTac made us truly appreciate the value of TSA Precheck. Saved us at least an hour of standing in line.

49 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

SeaTac made us truly appreciate the value of TSA Precheck. Saved us at least an hour of standing in line.

We have Global Entry.  When I first told wife about it she said no way, costs too much.  Six months later we're debarking a cruise in Fort Lauderdale.  Very long lines except for one line with only two people in it.  Wife said why's the line so short, I said that's the Global Entry line.  Wife said, sign us up as soon as we get home.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does anyone actually arrive to the airport three hours before their flight?

i don't, but i'm a very frequent flyer and have elite status with several airlines and access to several different types of expedited traveler programs. those help in drastically cutting down the time required to navigate through the airport. but an hour is cutting it awfully close in some major airports. you arrive at LHR with only an hour before your flight and they will not even check your bag... they will put you on another flight.

one of the main reasons you want to get to the airport early is that you have no control over accidents and delays. depending on the country or the city, you can be delayed by an overturned banana truck on the highway, a parade, a marathon, an accident, road closures, construction and so forth. it happens a lot... a half hour trip to the airport suddenly takes close to two hours.

then there is the airport itself... miami is almost always a mess.  and filled with inexperienced travelers casuing major security delays. getting international travelers through an airport - any airport - can really take more than two hours, especially if they are not native to the country of departure.

three hours for international flights, two hours for domestic flights is a guideline. each individual traveler decides what is right for him or her, based on travel history and whether or not they have access to any expedited traveler programs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Your first international flight? If yes, I wish you the best of luck!! 

Nope, I'm not a monthly international traveler, but I've certainly boarded quite a few international flights in my life. And, thank you!!

16 hours ago, Beach Life 1 said:

You're making me nervous 😬😳 lol

All will be well. 🙂 Follow my trip report when I start it. We're at 39 days pre-cruise. I really want to start now, but will hold off for a bit! 

14 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

We have Global Entry.  When I first told wife about it she said no way, costs too much.  Six months later we're debarking a cruise in Fort Lauderdale.  Very long lines except for one line with only two people in it.  Wife said why's the line so short, I said that's the Global Entry line.  Wife said, sign us up as soon as we get home.

Last week, my husband and I flew out of Vegas. The Precheck line was two minutes. The regular line was twenty....I went through Precheck and waited. And waited. We didn't have to rush to our plane as we had about thirty minutes before boarding. Apparently this experience finally kicked my husband enough to apply for TSA Precheck as he has an appointment scheduled for Friday. FINALLY!!!!!🎅

7 hours ago, UKstages said:

i don't, but i'm a very frequent flyer and have elite status with several airlines and access to several different types of expedited traveler programs. those help in drastically cutting down the time required to navigate through the airport. but an hour is cutting it awfully close in some major airports. you arrive at LHR with only an hour before your flight and they will not even check your bag... they will put you on another flight.

one of the main reasons you want to get to the airport early is that you have no control over accidents and delays. depending on the country or the city, you can be delayed by an overturned banana truck on the highway, a parade, a marathon, an accident, road closures, construction and so forth. it happens a lot... a half hour trip to the airport suddenly takes close to two hours.

then there is the airport itself... miami is almost always a mess.  and filled with inexperienced travelers casuing major security delays. getting international travelers through an airport - any airport - can really take more than two hours, especially if they are not native to the country of departure.

three hours for international flights, two hours for domestic flights is a guideline. each individual traveler decides what is right for him or her, based on travel history and whether or not they have access to any expedited traveler programs.

All good reasons. We're comfortable flying out of JFK. Have done it many times and know the drill. Anything could happen. And it would stink if something does, but I'm surely not getting to the airport three hours ahead. I think we're planning to be there about 1.5 hours ahead of departure this time. No checked baggage here or we would consider two hours. We're going away to Spain/Transatlantic for two weeks. 

There's no need for a lot of luggage. The trip we returned from this past Saturday? We checked two bags and had one bookbag. Our bags were backpacking packs with our tent, stove, water filters, pots, dishes, etc. as we were backpacking the Grand Canyon. Backpacking trips are the only time we check bags. When we're going to be lazy and luxurious on a cruise ship, we don't need much. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

Does anyone actually arrive to the airport three hours before their flight?

When flying from a European airport back to the US, you bet we do.  Most airports in Europe ask that you arrive three hours early for international flights and some cut off the check in process a couple of hours or so before departure time.  

7 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

There's no need for a lot of luggage. The trip we returned from this past Saturday? We checked two bags and had one bookbag.

no need for a book bag. two words: kindle and audiobooks.

OK, that's three words.

also, you could substitute "ipad" for a kindle. so, maybe four words.

On 10/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, cruiseny4life said:

Nope, I'm not a monthly international traveler, but I've certainly boarded quite a few international flights in my life. And, thank you!!

All will be well. 🙂 Follow my trip report when I start it. We're at 39 days pre-cruise. I really want to start now, but will hold off for a bit! 

Last week, my husband and I flew out of Vegas. The Precheck line was two minutes. The regular line was twenty....I went through Precheck and waited. And waited. We didn't have to rush to our plane as we had about thirty minutes before boarding. Apparently this experience finally kicked my husband enough to apply for TSA Precheck as he has an appointment scheduled for Friday. FINALLY!!!!!🎅

All good reasons. We're comfortable flying out of JFK. Have done it many times and know the drill. Anything could happen. And it would stink if something does, but I'm surely not getting to the airport three hours ahead. I think we're planning to be there about 1.5 hours ahead of departure this time. No checked baggage here or we would consider two hours. We're going away to Spain/Transatlantic for two weeks. 

There's no need for a lot of luggage. The trip we returned from this past Saturday? We checked two bags and had one bookbag. Our bags were backpacking packs with our tent, stove, water filters, pots, dishes, etc. as we were backpacking the Grand Canyon. Backpacking trips are the only time we check bags. When we're going to be lazy and luxurious on a cruise ship, we don't need much. 

I think you need to realize that MIA airport is much zooier than JFK, especially when many cruise ships are in port. You still need 3 hours before international travel and 90+ mins for domestic. The TSA lines are so long.