Just came off Iona

cuatbar58

We have just returned from a excellent cruise on the Iona. I’m afraid it was all positive from start to finish so we had to book another cruise while still onboard. The staff on board were the friendliest we have ever experienced on a P&O cruise and we are into double figures on cruises taken. Embarkation was smooth and quick we were onboard by 12:00 and leaving at the end of our cruise was the same.

As always the bars were all a bit hectic for the first few days but then settled down I assume this happens when people start looking at their onboard accounts or their onboard credit runs out.  As we had a drinks package for the first and last time it was not a problem. The package worked out well for as with the free children’s package and without counting everything we had I am sure we came out ahead. We did not get anywhere near having 15 drinks a day by the way.

This was our second cruise on Iona but a little different than the last as we had two grandchildren with us. The major difference was we had to use the dreaded buffet more. The main problem here is that other people have the cheek to use it the same time as me. Joking aside it is peoples lack of common sense or consideration that causes problems in the buffet. I thought the food here was far better than some try to pretend. There was a great choice and there were some excellent curry’s that I would have been happy to pay for at home. It can get boring if you eat there 4 times a day every day and put several different dishes on your plate at once. The quays make a good alternative.

The grandchildren loved the kids club which meant we were able to enjoy some nice meals in the Keel & Cow and the Glasshouse. The times we used the MDR were few but we were happy with what we had. I do not intend to do a full review because that has been done so well by others on this site as well as some fantastic bloggers.

I would just add the P&O is still excellent value for money and until we see a real drop in standards they will have our custom. As we prefer the larger ships we feel they have given us far more extras than they have taken away. I am more than happy to answer any questions.

Best wishes to all

• Like 14
  • Thanks 6

That's great that you enjoyed your cruise with the grandchildren.👍

Be careful about being too positive though, some folk on here will think you work for the company!🤣

We will be on Iona for the second time in just under three weeks time, so looking forward to another good cruise on her.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, cuatbar58 said:

Thanks TigerB

I’m sure you will have a great time. It seems a happy ship at the moment. The glorious weather must have helped. We are going again in February won’t be so hot but better than UK

G404 - The Canaries?  We're on that one

7 minutes ago, lancashire_cruisers said:

Great to hear as we’re on Iona in a few weeks. I think we might get on as Tiger B gets off.

We'll try and leave her in good order for you!🙂

Edited by TigerB
  • Haha 2

"The main problem here is that other people have the cheek to use it the same time as me."

I know exactly what you mean.  Not just in the cruise ship buffet either. The bus, the supermarket,  the post office. You name it, it's spoiled by other people choosing to be there at the same as me! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, cuatbar58 said:

We have just returned from a excellent cruise on the Iona. I’m afraid it was all positive from start to finish so we had to book another cruise while still onboard.

Many thanks for your excellent review.  Please don't apologise for having a positive experience.  I suspect about 95% of your fellow passengers would be equally happy with their cruise.  Unfortunately, virtually none of them post their favourable reviews on here, so reading these boards can provide a somewhat jaundiced view.  There seems, however, to have been a major outbreak of positivity on here in the last 24 hrs.  Long may it continue.  And, hopefully, I can do my bit to help - we are currently on day 4 of a Britannia cruise and all is going extremely well.  Ship, staff, food etc are all in fine fettle and we are in beautiful Lisbon with temperatures well in the 30s and a cold beer in front of us.  What's not to love?

• Like 12

We had our best ever cruise on the Britannia went with my son and his partner to the Caribbean. We are hoping they will get married on a ship one day.

We saw an amazing site in Lisbon of thousands of jellyfish floating past the ship. Love going under the bridge.

Carry on having a fab time

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

Many thanks for your excellent review.  Please don't apologise for having a positive experience.  I suspect about 95% of your fellow passengers would be equally happy with their cruise.  Unfortunately, virtually none of them post their favourable reviews on here, so reading these boards can provide a somewhat jaundiced view.  There seems, however, to have been a major outbreak of positivity on here in the last 24 hrs.  Long may it continue.  And, hopefully, I can do my bit to help - we are currently on day 4 of a Britannia cruise and all is going extremely well.  Ship, staff, food etc are all in fine fettle and we are in beautiful Lisbon with temperatures well in the 30s and a cold beer in front of us.  What's not to love?

I did!😉

I expect to be doing the same in five weeks time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

How busy does The Quays get...especially at 'normal' meal times? Is it easy-ish to get a table?

Simon

The longest queue I've seen on both Iona and Arvia has been about ten people, and that was for the fish and chips; Fusion is generally the quietest.

If you haven't anyone in your party with a wheelchair you shouldn't have a problem getting a table. There are also additional tables outside on the port side and, a short walk away, on the starboard side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sddsddean said:

How busy does The Quays get...especially at 'normal' meal times? Is it easy-ish to get a table?

Simon

It depends on how busy the ship is, if it’s a sea or port day and how averse you are to waiting in long queues.

We tried to avoid “normal” meal times as I don’t do queues by choice.

If you don’t mind a bit of a wait then it’s worth it as the food is generally pretty fresh and better than some of the dishes on offer in the MDR at lunch time.