Help please with buying OBC.

Belmont Babe

Cruising from New Zealand, ship with US dollars as onboard currency. I am seeing this when I go to the relevant space on my cruise personaliser, but there is no indication of exactly how many US dollars OBC I am getting for my NZ dollars. Can anyone let me know? Please, I don't need advice or opinions as to whether I should buy OBC.image.png.f1dc2390cbcd66a744f920f842e91570.png

• Like 1

I don't think that anybody can give you a n absolute answer. Just look up on Google the current exchange rate and you can bet that it will be a bit worse! Of course, you can always check your credit card account online *after* the transaction to see what you were really charged. (Not really helpful in answering your original question. )

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Belmont Babe said:

Cruising from New Zealand, ship with US dollars as onboard currency. I am seeing this when I go to the relevant space on my cruise personaliser, but there is no indication of exactly how many US dollars OBC I am getting for my NZ dollars. Can anyone let me know? Please, I don't need advice or opinions as to whether I should buy OBC.image.png.f1dc2390cbcd66a744f920f842e91570.png

Isn't this the typical $25/$50/$100 USD that PCL sells?  You asked same on another thread.  Was the USD on previous screen?  I do agree they should indicate it even if it would seem obvious.  

What was the exchange rate used when you booked the cruise?  Such as, if the cruise fare was $1,000 USD, did you pay $1,550 NZD?  (Perhaps you are unaware of the exchange rate PCL is currently using).

ETA:  Getting $100 USD for $155 NZD is a pretty good deal right now because it would cost more than $10 NZD per hundred at today exchange rate.  I'd jump at it if you are going to have expenses to cover on board.

Edited by Steelers36
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Human Tripod said:

You are looking at, $25, $50 or$100.00 USD…. In order, I book our cruises in Canadian dollars and get a similar screen as you…. Only you will know if that is a good exchange rate for you

Thank you, that is the exact info I was requiring.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Isn't this the typical $25/$50/$100 USD that PCL sells?  You asked same on another thread.  Was the USD on previous screen?  I do agree they should indicate it even if it would seem obvious.  

What was the exchange rate used when you booked the cruise?  Such as, if the cruise fare was $1,000 USD, did you pay $1,550 NZD?  (Perhaps you are unaware of the exchange rate PCL is currently using).

ETA:  Getting $100 USD for $155 NZD is a pretty good deal right now because it would cost more than $10 NZD per hundred at today exchange rate.  I'd jump at it if you are going to have expenses to cover on board.

Thanks,

1) I was unaware exactly what the US amount was, 25/50/100 or 20/40/80. Previously (2018) the amount of USD I was buying with my NZD was stated.

2) Have no idea, all my dealings with Princess re the fare have been quoted only in NZD

3) Yes, that turns out to be a very good exchange rate, also given we are having a General Election today which will probably result in the rate hitting 54c to the NZD or less.

6 hours ago, Human Tripod said:

You are looking at, $25, $50 or$100.00 USD…. In order, I book our cruises in Canadian dollars and get a similar screen as you…. Only you will know if that is a good exchange rate for you

Interesting. And was my initial theory. However, I wouldn't bet the house on that though.. as when I rang Princess to question that earlier this year.. I was advised it wasn't the case.  

I am Canadian.  I purchase OBC in US$.  As stated is it $25, $50, $100.  Princess uses the exchange rate that is attached to your cruise when you booked.  The $ amount shown is the amount that will show on your credit card.

Edited by phabric
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Over from NZ said:

Interesting. And was my initial theory. However, I wouldn't bet the house on that though.. as when I rang Princess to question that earlier this year.. I was advised it wasn't the case.  

You probably got an outsourced rep who was no expert and went off on a tangent.

Just now, phabric said:

I am Canadian.  I purchase OBC in US$.  As stated is it $25, $50, $100.  Princess uses the exchange rate that is attached to your cruise when you booked.  The $ amount shown is the amount that will show on your credit card.

And it will be the same procedure/process for other currencies like GBP. AUD, NZD, EUR.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:11 PM, Belmont Babe said:

Hi, you are looking at the prices for $25, $50 and $100 OBC vouchers.  If you call Princess, they will confirm this for you.

• Like 1