Musica Review October 2023

Beamafar

Just now, Beamafar said:

Gala night is all but dead.  So few dressed up - lots of smart casual, but that’s about it, save for a smattering of ‘elegant’. 

Interesting to hear! I’m taking a pretty skirt and top, and heels, DH is taking a blazer and tie, but really, I think Gala nights may have peaked on all/most cruise lines. I can’t remember the last time we cruised on a line that had one. I’ll report what the Europeans do, in a few days.

4 hours ago, Nunagoras said:

Surprised the Captain has let pax to cross the pool deck in a so wet status. It used to be crew only on those times back in the day...

There was nobody to stop passengers from crossing, N.  There was one woman using a walking stick/crutch who actually, foolishly, walked across the very wet deck.  There didn’t even seem to be any urgency in brushing the excess water into the gulleys by the crew.  It was like they had all day to do it, when, in fact, the deck would have been getting busy once the weather had picked up. 

9 minutes ago, lisiamc said:

Interesting to hear! I’m taking a pretty skirt and top, and heels, DH is taking a blazer and tie, but really, I think Gala nights may have peaked on all/most cruise lines. I can’t remember the last time we cruised on a line that had one. I’ll report what the Europeans do, in a few days.

Being on a European cruise, I’m actually surprised at the lack of ‘glamour’.  It looks like any other night, sadly. 

• Like 1

Such a shame to hear the Gala night efforts were lacking and your meal underwhelmed. I think Kaito was the restaurant on Preziosa we left after mistaking the main course for the appetisers, ran over and just managed to get into the YC restaurant before closing! Disappointing was a polite description 🙃 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Being on a European cruise, I’m actually surprised at the lack of ‘glamour’.  It looks like any other night, sadly. 

Eastern Med from Greece (and not Italy) is not something I expect any gala. Basically nobody can drive to the cruise, I would expect a lot of British, German, Eastern Europeans coming in with Ryanair. 

14 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Had our Diamond meal in Kaito tonight.  Unfortunately it was rather disappointing.

Great to hear for my first Diamond meal. No Butchers Cut on Virtuosa, no, a disappointing Sushi on Musica 😄

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@Beamafar: On the "gala" night thing; I second @perakcruiser! Most people would need a flight to catch those cruises these days. In no way will them to respect "gala" night at those outrageous luggage weight restrictions on flights... The "gala" night thing should be modified so that the good traditions would remain at a different way... Why not to transform the Captain's reception on a pool deck event weather permitting?...

Regarding the safety event that seems odd, and a quite serious one. On all my cruises, once an event of that sort would arrive, they simply close the doors and put a transit forbidden sign. Not at your turn apparently!...

• Like 1

Will post responses and updates later. We’ve just come back to the cabin from a late lunch in the buffet and are tired.  It’s 29 degrees here in Limassol. 

Today’s MDR lunch menu 

IMG_8198.thumb.jpeg.5664b0cf6812a37ea5f26b93aca5e7a9.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

Eastern Med from Greece (and not Italy) is not something I expect any gala. Basically nobody can drive to the cruise, I would expect a lot of British, German, Eastern Europeans coming in with Ryanair. 

Great to hear for my first Diamond meal. No Butchers Cut on Virtuosa, no, a disappointing Sushi on Musica 😄

I’m not so sure it has anything to do with luggage allowances, P.   People, especially the younger generation, just don’t want to go to the trouble (and us Irish also flew in with Ryanair 😁).

The Welcome Back party is on tonight and the invite states no shorts or flip flops.  There was a time when that statement was not required. 

IMG_8200.thumb.jpeg.7684380bbd806db5a6dd4fd002d359a5.jpeg

I don’t know if you checked out pdf Kaito menu.  The Dining Experience is valued at €28 - BC is €45!!

I don’t normally go into much detail about what we do in port, nor post photos of the places we go to, but I’ll just share today’s experience here for anyone who may be visiting this port.  We’d never been here before. Our excursion today from Limassol was

INDEPENDENT EXPLORATION: LARNACA &

LEFKARA SILVER & EMBROIDERY’

It was €45 pp pre-cruise, so not very costly. However, it wasn’t worth doing and I feel strongly enough about it to make a comment at the Excursions desk. 

It was over an hour’s drive to Larnaca and the guide said we would have 45 minutes to explore the St Lazarus Church (which we had parked close to) and do some shopping.  But that was before the bus was even parked. I think people at the front complained that, by the time it took for us to get off the bus, we would no longer have 45 minutes, because the guide relented and added another five minutes to the time she had set for us to be back.  Well, the “shopping” was an underwhelming experience (and that’s an understatement!).  We didn’t bother with the church visit. 

IMG_8197.thumb.jpeg.55bcb40c64d9ae6494e1043b31a7df07.jpeg

Back on the bus and we headed for Lefkara, which is a very nice place, with lots of jewellery and lace stores.  However, we had assumed that we would be visiting the place where the jewellery was being made.  We got off the bus and people started wandering around.  So I asked the guide if this was a shopping stop and she said yes.  We were given 40 minutes to take a look around.

The whole affair just felt rushed;  I overheard 2 women sitting behind me on the bus, on the return to the ship, say that we just went on a bus journey and what a waste of time.  I had to agree with them.  

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

It’s quite windy as we get underway this afternoon and I would imagine it’s not pleasant up on the pool deck.  The sun is on our balcony, but it’s just not nice enough to sit out there and enjoy the sunset.  Some evenings/nights have been warm on deck and others not so much. 

Now, to our Kaito experience…

We’ve been several times using our Diamond benefit;  each time we have asked if we could swap out items from the DE for something else as the DE menu is not for me.  The only time, prior to last night, where we had had difficulty, and had to make a case, was on Meraviglia in 2019, when I had purchased a dining package. 

After a bit of a fuss, the waiter told us that Chef would permit the change (we had indicated what we were hoping to have).  We both had the same 2 dishes: a chicken fried rice dish, teriyaki beef and banana fritters for me for dessert.   Mr B had the ice cream. 

IMG_8188.thumb.jpeg.59548bcd1193b282aa1085c0bd8dc695.jpeg

IMG_8189.thumb.jpeg.cc99b94b4c24e09209e43aa85d0815d2.jpeg

IMG_8191.thumb.jpeg.8083487768ff0cb0dabdcb6aafc29a1c.jpeg

IMG_8190.thumb.jpeg.b929e3d0d3d18b695a821a410b519906.jpeg

The beef was not good.  It was like chewing cardboard - you know, when it forms a ball in the mouth and you need copious amounts of water to swallow it with.  This was the first time it had ever been this bad in Kaito. (The lamb at lunchtime in the MDR was the same!).  The sauce was too sweet and not as I remembered it.  Even the fried rice dish was different.

Mr B did not care for the ice cream - he said it was bland.  He did like my banana-flavoured scoop (which I’d given him - I seldom eat ice cream). 

Edited by Beamafar

I’ve been informed that the Diamond event will be held tomorrow.  I’m assuming it’ll be in the morning as we are scheduled to arrive in Mykonos at 4pm and spend the evening there.  Apparently there are only 28 Diamond members onboard, so we will most likely attend.  No sign, yet, of our ‘gift’ (though I reckon it’ll just be more tote bags 🙄). 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Apparently there are only 28 Diamond members onboard, so we will most likely attend.  No sign, yet, of our ‘gift’ (though I reckon it’ll just be more tote bags 🙄

A surprisingly low number given the fact it's a smaller ship, which I would guess would tend to attract more repeat cruisers than new cruisers. New cruisers going for the 'big wow' of the latest, biggest ship. Also given the status match programme, I would have guessed that number at far more.

Sorry your trip wasn't as you had hoped, and trust that you get a resolution you are happy with.

Edited by Captain-John
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Captain-John said:

Sorry the meal was not as you hoped, Bea but thank you for your continued updates and trust you are having a good time.

This cruise will rank up there with our best.  We’re thoroughly enjoying it.  Entertainment in the lounges is a bit of a let-down.  Too many foreign language songs - none recognisable.  Haven’t a clue how one particular duo got the gig;  I think they sing Hungarian stuff.  There are a few couples who seem to enjoy and dance to it - but the rest of the place is empty.  This is the main lounge on the ship (if you discount the aft lounge). 

There is a woman on piano in the wine bar - can’t sing to save her life. 🙄

Edited by Beamafar
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, perakcruiser said:

We are more Ryanair passengers, and that certainly doesn't prohibit us from dressing appropriately for Gala Night. As we speak, I have 3 elegant/evening dresses waiting to be packed.

If it's any consolation, my first Butcher Cut Diamond meal was my second most disappointing....after the Kaito Sushi 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

@Beamafar I couldn't open the menu on my phone last night but have now read it on the computer. Yes, that was definitely the identical one to Preziosa, which wasn't great. Although, it wasn't the quality, it was the quantity.

We enjoyed Galaxy on both Divina and Preziosa , several times, before they changed it to a sushi restaurant. Mr B’s favourite on the menu was a turbot mille-feuille dish and mine was the lamb chops.  We were so disappointed to see the menu change the last time we were onboard (can’t remember exactly when , but I think it was a Divina sailing).

Sadly, we didn't qualify on any of our Divina cruises. Galaxy is such a great location, but I feel under utilised. The Pan Asian we experienced on Lirica in April was excellent, which was a pleasant surprise. We have an Asian or BC on Splendida next week, we can't recall which we chose last time on her, we've never been wowed by BC, and as we have many sea days we may opt for an Asian lunch visit this time.

• Like 1

We arrived late afternoon to Mykonos and will be here til late tonight.  An announcement was made today saying that dinner tonight was open seating in the MDR between 7pm and 10pm. Everyone was seated at their own assigned tables. 

I have yet to share last night’s and today’s lunch menus but, for now, here’s tonight’s menu

IMG_8224.thumb.png.9836f896d0813ff05af2cbf1c5799378.png

• Thanks 2

Halibut was the indicated fish on the app, but the paper copy of the menu said trout.  The app is not very reliable. 

I had butter chicken as a starter and Mr B had the salmon timbale

IMG_8226.thumb.jpeg.2ca7c0c4509725dad9ee7976d954c94b.jpeg

IMG_8225.thumb.jpeg.74feb11626c6abc1bebd5726db94bb25.jpeg

I had the sirloin and he had the trout

IMG_8228.thumb.jpeg.d3240c12392d73e25053b914cf09efca.jpeg

IMG_8227.thumb.jpeg.74458c85c6f38b6a43455a031a8fb15f.jpeg

I had the coconut cake and he had the chocolate duo

IMG_8230.thumb.jpeg.266ed53424deecd0dbaefed37e91b445.jpeg

IMG_8231.thumb.jpeg.f2d36f497fdf23f9a6ca967975e0dc6e.jpeg

• Like 1