Escape AFT / Forward Haven

CruisingSince1982

First world problem here, but I'm really having a hard time with picking a Haven cabin for our upcoming Mediterranean cruise. There will be 3 adults. I initially booked the forward facing cabin, with the intent to bid to upgrade into a 2-bedroom (i know, it's not guaranteed). I'm flopping back and forth between the forward facing that I currently have booked, and the aft-facing ($2,300 more) for the 2nd bathroom and bigger cabin. This is a port intensive cruise, so other than dinners, I'm not sure how much use we will get out of the Haven itself. Still, my issue with the aft is that it's so far away from the Haven area (although that balcony and the views would be amazing). Getting off the ship for excursions, or exiting on the last day, or whatever, all requires us to go all the way forward and then up to the Haven. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I am really flopping back and forth between these 2 categories. What would you do? 

Edited by CruisingSince1982

I have stayed in both, and as long as price is not the deciding factor I would go for the aft! The balcony and 2nd bathroom is the best parts of this cabin. Don’t get me wrong also loved the forward facing as well but the balcony is very small! 

• Like 2

Deck 12 is my favorite aft-facing deck on Escape. Fortunately, NCL charges the same price for all of the aft-facing suites on Escape (HA). 

On BA/GA/Joy/Bliss/Encore, NCL charges more for the suites with the larger balcony. 

Edited by Two Wheels Only
  • Like 2

I have never stayed forward as I always stay aft for the view and the size of the balcony (Typically 9 as they tend to be the largest). No noise issues, no wind issues (From what I have read anyway). I am active, medium size person that likes the exercise and found the walk is never an issue. I would probably only stay via bid, in the top cabin to move to forward. That didn't happen last time and this time our entire group is going to be aft 9 so I didn't want to be far from them. As far as the Haven use, if you are port heavy I would say that is a good use of being in the Haven with priority disembarking. 

• Like 2

We were on the Encore in November 2022 in an aft Haven Suite. This is before my wife's knee replacement. Though she had trouble walking it only took 4 minutes and 30 seconds to get to the bar in the Haven. Though there is a mental barrier to not being 'in the Haven', the truth is the aft suites aren't that far removed.(In full disclosure, when we had a Courtyard Penthouse suite it was on 19 seconds to the bar.)

The aft suite is huge and the 3rd traveler will have more than enough room. The bathroom is tight, though functional.

The balcony is humongous. We had two tables, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. More than enough room for three and the grand aft view from the ship.

I would personally go with the aft suite and put up with the minor inconvenience to get to the Haven.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jlmd56 said:

We were on the Breakaway in November 2022 in an aft Haven Suite. This is before my wife's knee replacement. Though she had trouble walking it only took 4 minutes and 30 seconds to get to the bar in the Haven. Though there is a mental barrier to not being 'in the Haven', the truth is the aft suites aren't that far removed.(In full disclosure, when we had a Courtyard Penthouse suite it was on 19 seconds to the bar.)

The aft suite is huge and the 3rd traveler will have more than enough room. The bathroom is tight, though functional.

The balcony is humongous. We had two tables, 4 chairs and 2 loungers. More than enough room for three and the grand aft view from the ship.

I would personally go with the aft suite and put up with the minor inconvenience to get to the Haven.