Herculaneum Tickets

john2003

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

I’ve never run into long lines to purchase a ticket for Herculaneum, and I especially wouldn’t expect them in November. Just plan to purchase at the gate.

Thanks. Very helpful

I'm curious about the taxi from Salerno, that will be an expensive trip.

You could take the train (Trenitalia) to Portici-Ercolano, from there to the ticket office at the ruins is 1.7 km/1 mile on foot, or you could get a taxi from the station.  I've seen taxis at the station, but even if there aren't any when you arrive there is a bar and they will call one for you.

• Like 1

My two cents,  the taxi will likely want to charge you both ways unless they are willing to wait for you.  I once needed to go to Naples from Salerno by taxi and return.  I incurred two return taxi bills of nearly 500 euro total.   I had no choice as it was medical and fortunately my insurance paid as the ships doctor walked me off the ship to the taxi.  

So make sure you check the costs. 

Thanks. We have booked it for the round trip with a 2 hour stop. No inexpensive options that really work for us. There are 3 of us so that helps a bit. 
I looked at the train. The two I am with will both have walking issues. So I am trying to reserve their energy for the site with the taxi. I had looked at the train first but was concerned about the walking both ends. 

Edited by john2003
Responding to other replies
  • Like 1