Specialty restaurant package- how to book restaurants and times

IDL

17 hours ago, hcat said:

we did that on EDGE months in advance  yet the nasty maitre in Fine Cut still tried to bump us to a much later time without notice..

We found  this out a day ahead when we went to confirm.. The much later time  did not work for us, and he refused to budge..Also got quite testy when we told him to cancel the res. 

Eventually  he relented as the scene got louder. We cancelled the remainder of our specialty dining res to avoid any further insult!  Found out this happened to others in EDEN on EDGE..they split family group of 6 into 2 at diff times. They also cancelled!

We will try Fine Cut on ASCENT on boarding night .and confirm all our other res  

This is totally foul.  Probably worth a call to Miami...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Huddler said:

I would NOT accept a different reservation time either, particularly since I booked it months in advance when the time I wanted was available.  If they only had late dinning times, I would have never made the reservation in the first place.  Bumping me to a different time to accommodate a "more important customer", who obviously failed to make a reservation online, would make me believe they didnt value my business and I would cancel every reservation in all Specialty restaurants.  So, I completely understand your reaction, but I wonder why they assumed they can just move your reserved time without even asking/notifying you about it until you inquired.  What if you had simply arrived at your reserved time, and they had given your table away?  That would have been an even 'louder" conversation.

We had the opposite situation last cruise....booked 6pm reservation well before the cruise.  Expected to have some choice in table arriving just before 6pm.  Murano was full except for 2 not so well located tables.  Maitre d' said people who had packages started arriving and were told to do so IHO, he had a long line up out the door, so he let them in.  Not good.  Upcoming cruise we might be the pair outside the door early...LOL.  Never happened before.

Edited by Oceangoer2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

There are 'good times' available in you book months ahead or try as soon as you confirm your cruise if it's a late booking.  If waiting until just before the cruise you take what is left.   Same as any 'special' land restaurant.  I'm changing one 6pm reservation from one day to another;  I have to take 8:30pm which is the earliest time available.  My reservation isn't part of a package.  There are waiting lists so perhaps register with the maitre d'.   That's the downside of dining pkgs...cheaper (not much) but perhaps times are not suitable. 

We're not last minute people and I normally try to book specialty dining six or more months in advance. It's a rare event when there is a 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30 time open. My experience ... yours may differ. 

3 hours ago, wanderlust58 said:

Normally, I would agree with you.  Spending even more money when you've already paid once for eating doesn't sit well with me either.  But this time, we are in the MDR, not Blu.  After reading the voluminous criticisms of the MDR, and scanning the Tuscan's menu, I decided to take the speciality dining plunge.  We'll see how it goes.

We're normally in Blu also but have decided the value isn't there for AQ anymore. We have one more cruise booked in AQ and the one after that is in CC, so we'll be either eating in the MDR or specialty dining. I'm thinking that we'll skip the pre-paid package for that cruise so we can book times in advance. I would rather eat in the buffet than pay a bunch of extra money to eat at 8:30 pm.

24 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

We're not last minute people and I normally try to book specialty dining six or more months in advance. It's a rare event when there is a 6:30, 7:00 or 7:30 time open. My experience ... yours may differ. 

Like you, we book months in advance and have always had our preferred time available, 6pm.  But later times do go really fast.  When I didn't like the menu on one particular night and wanted to change the reservation date only the earliest time of  8:30 was available on most nights.  Decided that wasn't a problem....dining late will be a change.

I booked the Specialty Dining Trio package for my upcoming cruise. (Two dinners and a lunch) I also separately booked a fixed reservation for Lawn Club Grill on a particular night and time because I wanted to be there for the sunset sail away from Cozumel and I know how difficult it can be to get decent time when booking a package.  Do you think they will allow me to convert my LCG reservation to be part of the package and refund the separate prepaid reservation?  If they don't then I'll just use it for an additional night in Murano.

We did not book our cruise on the eclipse until about 3 to 4 months prior.

We for sure wanted a dinner package (because we would like to try all of them).  Once I realized I could not make a reservation with the package we went ahead and tried to book individuall and each restaurant was already mostly booked each night and the nights that had a choice is was 9:00 p.m. or 9:30 pm.  Too late for me since this is the same time zone for me.  

So we unfortunately feel like we have no choice but to just go ahead and purchase on board if we are able to secure on premise reservations if we can even get one at a decent hour.   I'm not going to prepay for something when I have no guarantee of getting it I don't care how much it saves me.   This model is just a really bad model IMO.  

And to be honest with you, this is my first time on Celebrity having cruised many other cruise lines and it is pretty much a disappointment that it looks like we won't be able to try any of the specialty restaurants unless we feel like eating a super late night dinner.  

8 minutes ago, AMediator said:

We did not book our cruise on the eclipse until about 3 to 4 months prior.

We for sure wanted a dinner package (because we would like to try all of them).  Once I realized I could not make a reservation with the package we went ahead and tried to book individuall and each restaurant was already mostly booked each night and the nights that had a choice is was 9:00 p.m. or 9:30 pm.  Too late for me since this is the same time zone for me.  

So we unfortunately feel like we have no choice but to just go ahead and purchase on board if we are able to secure on premise reservations if we can even get one at a decent hour.   I'm not going to prepay for something when I have no guarantee of getting it I don't care how much it saves me.   This model is just a really bad model IMO.  

And to be honest with you, this is my first time on Celebrity having cruised many other cruise lines and it is pretty much a disappointment that it looks like we won't be able to try any of the specialty restaurants unless we feel like eating a super late night dinner.  

This is a real change from past sailings, and we've had many.  At 3-4 months prior the times were pretty much available.  The menu in MDR is now so poor that cruisers seem to be booking up the specialty restaurants, which is probably the X plan.  How did you know you couldn't book a package...did they say 'sold out'?  Anyway, try when you board...there may be cancellations.

14 minutes ago, Oceangoer2 said:

This is a real change from past sailings, and we've had many.  At 3-4 months prior the times were pretty much available.  The menu in MDR is now so poor that cruisers seem to be booking up the specialty restaurants, which is probably the X plan.  How did you know you couldn't book a package...did they say 'sold out'?  Anyway, try when you board...there may be cancellations.

I booked a package but realized I could not make a reservation.   When I tried to just pay and reserve each restaurant on its own - I had only a couple of choices for two of the 6 nights.  We are still 5 weeks out and it's even worse. 

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

This is totally foul.  Probably worth a call to Miami...

We made our situation known back then.  Sometimes an inflated  sense of self importance goes to someone's head... He forgot we were the paying guests..and his job was to make us happy!  Not well suited to be a a maitre d.   

Had no such issues in BEYOND and hopefully none will crop up on ASCENT

• Like 2

On 10/22/2023 at 6:59 AM, IDL said:

do we need to go to each individual restaurant we want to book. 

Oh Boy-- I know I'm going to be scolded again and accused of bribing.

As soon as you board go to the Specialty restaurant(s) to make reservations.

Just as on land in an upscale restaurant the Maitre'd " controls " the reservation system.

It's a " game "---

On occasion we were told :

" We are all booked up, but, IF you leave your name and cabin number, perhaps we can find something for you ". 

Our answer :

" Oh, that would be very nice and we'd appreciate that-- Do your best ".

Before you know it :

Ring, ring, " We had a cancellation ( ?? ) and can accommodate you at xx time ".

Show up, shake hands, transfer a few $$ from palm to palm---everybody's happy.

To me, it's all a part of the "system " and a few extra $$ makes no difference, but adds to our enjoyment.

( No disrespect to those who disagree ).

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Hi Pinbory....I was waiting for your always interesting reply...LOL.  You'll never know what might have happened if you hadn't 'crossed the palm'....maybe still would have had your reservation but these folks are not going to say 'no sir...we can't accept that'.  On the other hand I did observe a hostess being plied with $$s in order to receive a 'good' table in the MDR...of all places.  She did exactly that....wouldn't accept and the fellow looked a little embarrassed as we were all overhearing while standing and waiting for OUR table.

1 hour ago, Oceangoer2 said:

Hi Pinbory....I was waiting for your always interesting reply...LOL.  You'll never know what might have happened if you hadn't 'crossed the palm'....maybe still would have had your reservation but these folks are not going to say 'no sir...we can't accept that'.  On the other hand I did observe a hostess being plied with $$s in order to receive a 'good' table in the MDR...of all places.  She did exactly that....wouldn't accept and the fellow looked a little embarrassed as we were all overhearing while standing and waiting for OUR table.

"I was waiting for your always interesting reply...LOL"---- always interesting ????  ( LOL )

" if you hadn't 'crossed the palm' "---It was kind of implied and understood when he asked for our cabin number and I said " We'd appreciate it--- Do your best ".

"maybe still would have had your reservation "--- most likely, but who knows what kind of service we would have received or what if we wanted to dine there again ?

"wouldn't accept and the fellow looked a little embarrassed as we were all overhearing while standing and waiting for OUR table------That's an easy one----She wouldn't accept because you were standing there. My guess--- She gave him a " good " table and after dinner ( when you were not there ) I'll bet he " twisted her arm " and she accepted his " Thank You " ( $$ ).

3 hours ago, Pinboy said:

"I was waiting for your always interesting reply...LOL"---- always interesting ????  ( LOL )

" if you hadn't 'crossed the palm' "---It was kind of implied and understood when he asked for our cabin number and I said " We'd appreciate it--- Do your best ".

"maybe still would have had your reservation "--- most likely, but who knows what kind of service we would have received or what if we wanted to dine there again ?

"wouldn't accept and the fellow looked a little embarrassed as we were all overhearing while standing and waiting for OUR table------That's an easy one----She wouldn't accept because you were standing there. My guess--- She gave him a " good " table and after dinner ( when you were not there ) I'll bet he " twisted her arm " and she accepted his " Thank You " ( $$ ).

Cynic!...LOL...there are good people in this life you know, despite all the evidence otherwise these days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pinboy said:

Oh Boy-- I know I'm going to be scolded again and accused of bribing.

As soon as you board go to the Specialty restaurant(s) to make reservations.

Just as on land in an upscale restaurant the Maitre'd " controls " the reservation system.

It's a " game "---

On occasion we were told :

" We are all booked up, but, IF you leave your name and cabin number, perhaps we can find something for you ". 

Our answer :

" Oh, that would be very nice and we'd appreciate that-- Do your best ".

Before you know it :

Ring, ring, " We had a cancellation ( ?? ) and can accommodate you at xx time ".

To me, it's all a part of the "system " and a few extra $$ makes no difference, but adds to our enjoyment.

( No disrespect to those who disagree ).

So when you get a traffic ticket and go to court,  do you also tip the judge??? 🤣

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So when you get a traffic ticket and go to court,  do you also tip the judge??? 🤣

LOL---That's a " Good One "-- 

Where I live we don't get traffic tickets here---

A Red light is only a " suggestion" to stop if you have time, Yellow light means " speed up ", and Green light means " keep your peddle to the metal ".

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

LOL---That's a " Good One "-- 

Where I live we don't get traffic tickets here---

A Red light is only a " suggestion" to stop if you have time, Yellow light means " speed up ", and Green light means " keep your peddle to the metal ".

OMG....Even small towns have traffic control and speed laws;  some already think Canadians are a bunch of northern hicks....are you validating that? A smart answer isn't necessarily a smart answer....😉

Edited by Oceangoer2

3 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

some already think Canadians are a bunch of northern hicks...

A smart answer isn't necessarily a smart answer....😉

Ya callin me a "hick" ??

Just because I got " sucked " in and tipped a Maitre'd $200 ( US ) and got a table at 9:30pm?

He " found " us a beautiful location--- right outside the kitchen door .

I overheard him laughing about some hick from Canada wanted a reservation at 9:30 pm, etc etc .

I see ya live in Southern Ontario--- my guess--- Thunder Bay.

13 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

Ya callin me a "hick" ??

Just because I got " sucked " in and tipped a Maitre'd $200 ( US ) and got a table at 9:30pm?

He " found " us a beautiful location--- right outside the kitchen door .

I overheard him laughing about some hick from Canada wanted a reservation at 9:30 pm, etc etc .

I see ya live in Southern Ontario--- my guess--- Thunder Bay.

my guess...you don't know southern ontario very well.  🤔

• Haha 1

Having bought a 4 night dining package and now reading the thread comments, I'm a bit concerned that we won't know till embarkation day whether we can use ours at practical (i.e. family friendly/early) times.  Is there an option to cancel & refund an entirely unused package on Day 1 once onboard? 

6 hours ago, Bullswood said:

Having bought a 4 night dining package and now reading the thread comments, I'm a bit concerned that we won't know till embarkation day whether we can use ours at practical (i.e. family friendly/early) times.  Is there an option to cancel & refund an entirely unused package on Day 1 once onboard? 

We decided to cancel our dining package based on the feedback and then just book speciality restaurants at full price at times we want to eat. We had our TA handle this in advance of our upcoming Jan ‘24 cruise to avoid the hassle of doing all this once onboard.