"My Cruise App" - eh?

canderson

Just received our first 'cruise ticket' from Silversea, and in reading one of the latter pages, under "Enhanced Safety Drill", they say the following:

"The safety drill's first phase must now be completed by viewing and acknowledging the safety drill video on the 'My Cruise' app or on your in-suite TV once you arrive aboard".

What's this 'My Cruise App'?  I know that RCCL and Celebrity have phone apps, but had never heard (nor can I find) such an app for Silversea.  What's this about?

34 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just received our first 'cruise ticket' from Silversea, and in reading one of the latter pages, under "Enhanced Safety Drill", they say the following:

"The safety drill's first phase must now be completed by viewing and acknowledging the safety drill video on the 'My Cruise' app or on your in-suite TV once you arrive aboard".

What's this 'My Cruise App'?  I know that RCCL and Celebrity have phone apps, but had never heard (nor can I find) such an app for Silversea.  What's this about?

This might help.....https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2910949-apps-on-board/

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mysty said:

Yes, that does seem to help minimally, although the reference there to 'mycruise.com' is equally unhelpful - at least until after boarding.  There actually is such a site out in the 'real world', but it has nothing to do with SS.  I assume that when on ship's WiFi, they have a dns redirect that sends mycruise.com to an internal site aboard ship.

Someone at Silversea needs to work on their use of language a bit. 

• Like 1

Don’t worry about it now. 
Once onboard on SS Wi-Fi just go to mycruise.com on your device and there it will all be. 
Or watch the TV, but I find it useful to have on my iPad to refer to when I’m around the ship. SS still does paper daily info, the Chronicles, but everything and more is on mycruise.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jollyjones said:

Don’t worry about it now. 
Once onboard on SS Wi-Fi just go to mycruise.com on your device and there it will all be. 
Or watch the TV, but I find it useful to have on my iPad to refer to when I’m around the ship. SS still does paper daily info, the Chronicles, but everything and more is on mycruise.

How well does their online content square up with the paper?  Do they include menus?

As I said, everything and more is on mycruise including menus.

And bios of officers and lecturers etc

And booking possibilities for restaurants, spa, future cruise person etc

And ports info and excursion booking. 
And your account and expenses. 
And other stuff, I can’t remember it all. 

The Chronicles is only a four sided roundup of basic info, with an insert making it six sided on port days, designed so you can take the insert ashore with you, it has the port and port agent info on it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, canderson said:

I assume that when on ship's WiFi, they have a dns redirect that sends mycruise.com to an internal site aboard ship.

Yes exactly. It isn't an "app" per se and it only works when connected to the ship's WiFi.

6 hours ago, canderson said:

Do they include menus?

Yes, and you can check your reservations there as well.

It works fairly well. Once you figure out that a VPN on your device will block the redirect and render the entire thing useless, without telling you what the problem is...

When I remember to turn off my VPN it works well. And I could take screenshots of all the menus for posterity; that worked much better than taking pictures of the actual menus in dim light.

• Like 1