Trolley and Bus Accessibility

bosswench

Has anyone noticed recently if the free trolley or local buses have wheelchair lifts?  There are some general references to things being accessible, but nothing specific about transit.  My husband and I would much rather explore on our own than take a tour. TIA!

1 hour ago, bosswench said:

Has anyone noticed recently if the free trolley or local buses have wheelchair lifts?  

I do not know the answer to your question, but I have used the "contact us" to ask a question about the buses and schedule.  Here is a link to the webpage that has the "contact us"  in the upper right corner

https://arubus.com/

• Thanks 1

As far as the city buses I have a pretty good memory I do not remember ever seeing "wheelchair lifts" with that being said I can't imagine there not being away to get to where you are wanting to go comfortably on your own.

"On your own" on Aruba is the only way to go, you can work that out. Have fun.

3 hours ago, TTEllis said:

As far as the city buses I have a pretty good memory I do not remember ever seeing "wheelchair lifts" with that being said I can't imagine there not being away to get to where you are wanting to go comfortably on your own.

"On your own" on Aruba is the only way to go, you can work that out. Have fun.

You've never travelled needing mobility equipment. It is often exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) and/or expensive to find an accessible vehicle. especially for a power wheelchair or scooter. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FOPMan said:

You've never travelled needing mobility equipment. It is often exceedingly difficult (if not impossible) and/or expensive to find an accessible vehicle. especially for a power wheelchair or scooter. 

Yes it's "exceedingly difficult (if not impossible)". I cruised with a friend on the Caribbean Princess she was on a scooter in 2018. She missed 2 of the best tours we did on our last cruise, among other things she could not partake in because she was on a scooter. Hated it for her and was hoping you could avoid the same scenario on Aruba.

2008 Emerald Princess, The Scooter Store 500 cruise😢👎.

Good luck and hope you figure it out. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FOPMan said:

I do not remember them being accessible. There are curb cuts on many sidewalks/streets, however some of them aren't in the best of shape. Many of the sidewalks are not flat (slope to the street).

Thank you for the info. We are not concerned about getting around out on the streets. We travel quite a bit and he is used to those conditions.  Our problem is getting from place to place, his chair can go 5-6 miles on a charge, much farther than I can walk.