Walking sticks and P&O

Megabear2

36 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I’ve only just caught up on this thread. The title didn’t interest me as neither of us use a walking stick, but I now realise that it is about the emails that we’ve all received and the clamping down on people not declaring issues. 

@molecrochip I’m glad that Carnival are clamping down on those who claim that they need assisted embarkation and disembarkation when they clearly don’t, in order to gain some perceived advantage. This has been abused for years and the numbers of people who now claim to need assistance deters many of us who would genuinely appreciate some help from using the service. The irony is that, in the case of disembarkation, it takes far longer using the assistance service than just walking off the ship (as we now do). As my wife’s problems are primarily her legs, I dislike having to pile up our hand luggage on her lap in the wheelchair, but we would both rather do that until we get into the luggage hall (where we grab a porter) than go to the assistance lounge, as the blatant abuse that we’ve witnessed there infuriates us and we’d rather avoid it. 

@terrierjohn Like you, I have completed the online ‘on board needs’ forms via the cruise Personaliser for all our future P&O and Cunard cruises, even though we had already submitted the previous versions via email. With all the threats in the emails I decided that a ‘belt and braces’ approach was the best bet. 

@Megabear2 Years ago, when my wife still had some use of her legs, she was called for the ‘step test’ assessment that was mentioned to you. It was usually held in the show lounge at the back of the ship during the daytime on a sea day. Those required to take the test were given a 1 hour window during which time they needed to attend. It wasn’t a private 1:1 thing as implied to you. Basically you turned up, gave them your name, took the test, they made a note as to whether you pass or fail and off you go. Took seconds. I’d be lying if I didn’t say that it was stressful, worrying if my wife would be able to do it or not, but it’s obviously essential for everyone’s safety so something that we have to just accept. If your cruise has no tender (or possible tender) ports they won’t conduct this exercise, as it would be pointless. Since my wife has been unable to pass the test we try to avoid cruises with tender ports, but where we’ve had them and I’ve gone ashore on my own I’ve seen the same step test markings on the approach to the tenders, although use of them has been patchy.

Thanks for the info.  It has been confirmed by both P&O and Cunard that there will be no step test on any of our cruises save the one all passengers take on leaving the ship.  We did in fact receive a confirmation from higher up the chain that this was mistakenly told to us as only those who use walking sticks full time and have notified of needing one to one assistance would be asked to do this if thought necessary by crew.

As I have stated on the forms the nature and circumstances of the illnesses my husband has the medical advisers were at a loss as to why we were told such an individual requirement had been told to us.

I repeat for your benefit that taking a step test was not the problem, it was being singled out that caused the upset.  My husband is extremely sensitive about his illnesses and mentally he gets very stressed at even having to mention them.  His main illness is totally invisible and as a consequence he did not want me to mention it but me being me thought it wise to do so.  For the stress and upset it has caused I am seriously considering never mentioning it again, particularly as at one point they were insisting we had assistance at the airport as well.

Ironically in an emergency I'd rely very much on him for assistance as I'm pretty useless on stairs myself.

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 3

I have never heard of a step test on either Cunard or P&O cruises and definitely haven’t been asked to take one. I’m fairly sure the medical questionnaire I completed online did not require specific details of medical conditions and nor should it. Buying travel insurance was bad enough when there are several conditions to declare never mind telling the cruise line. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I have never heard of a step test on either Cunard or P&O cruises and definitely haven’t been asked to take one. I’m fairly sure the medical questionnaire I completed online did not require specific details of medical conditions and nor should it. Buying travel insurance was bad enough when there are several conditions to declare never mind telling the cruise line. 

The step test has been around for many years and is used for tender ports. Sometimes we have done the test when queuing for tender tickets and sometimes when going to the tender if tickets have not been issued.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

The step test has been around for many years and is used for tender ports. Sometimes we have done the test when queuing for tender tickets and sometimes when going to the tender if tickets have not been issued.

However everyone requiring an adapted cabin is usually invited to take the test on a cruise that includes s tender port. As another poster said this generally tales place in the aft show lounge.

• Like 1