Joy to Alaska…family haven or 2 aft facing?

doolfan

I’m booking an Alaskan cruise on Norwegian Joy for May 2025. It will be me and my mom (71) and my 2 young adult kids (22&21)  The cost is about the same for a Haven family balcony 400 sq ft plus 85 sq ft balcony mid ship or 2 aft facing large balconies. The are advantages and disadvantages both ways. I’d love to be part of haven!!  Is that worth giving up the extra bathroom and privacy 2 rooms would provide?  Which kind of balcony would be best for Alaska. I’m very new to cruising!  I have my first ever cruise this coming May out of Athens on Viva. For that it’s just my daughter and I and we have a standard balcony. Any help you guys can give for Alaska is much appreciated!  This will be a once in a lifetime type of thing. My mom is getting older and my kids are finishing college. May 25 will most likely be our final big trip all together and our only trip to Alaska!  

The Joy Haven has a beautiful Horizon observation lounge, plus the private Haven Sundeck.  These would give you some awesome views on an Alaskan cruise.  The Haven restaurant is the best on the ship.   The Horizon lounge also has an awesome machine to make all kinds of coffee PLUS some really good steamed & frothy milk hot chocolate😋

We were in the Joy Haven (southern Caribbean) last month.    Also, we did an Alaskan cruise in the Bliss Haven which is very similar.  We felt the Horizon Lounge & private sundeck really added to our experience.   

However, I do understand the value of two bathrooms and those aft balconies are great too!  

• Like 1

We were in the Family 2 bedroom Haven suite on the NCL Pearl to Alaska!  It was great to view the glaciers from the private Haven deck.  No crowds whatsoever!

The 2 bedroom Haven suite does have 2 separate sleeping areas and 2 separate bathrooms.  I would book that category for the master bath alone!  The shower and bathtub have windows facing out and have the BEST views. I think that bathroom is bigger than most cabins.  You should look at video tours of the cabin and bathroom on YouTube.

I am not sure that the beds in the "master bedroom" separate as it is literally just an alcove next to the master bath.  So, the most important question would be, will you be able to share a bed with your Mom?

There is plenty of room for 2 young adults in the second bedroom with en suite bath which is about the size of a regular cabin bathroom.

Personally, our family likes to hang out together.  Even when we booked 2 inside cabins (one and done), my girls would come over and squeeze into our cabin to chat, etc.  So, the communal living room in the 2 bedroom was perfect for how our family like to vacation together.

Now if you or your adult children need space apart from each other, 2 separate cabins may be better for family harmony.  I probably would not want to share any of my private space with my in-laws for an extended period of time for example.  Meeting up for meals and excursions would be enough together time with them.

You know your family better. 

But in terms of separate sleeping spaces and 2 bathrooms, the Family 2 Bedroom Haven suite has both but they are not equal at all in size and "luxury."  If I were paying for the trip, I would prefer the Haven 2-bedroom and the master bed and bath would be MINE!

Good luck!

Edited by gsc500
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesIowa said:

Some of the haven aft suites connect to a balcony. Did a quick look and the numbers don’t seem tooo far apart. 

Haven access doesn't connect to those in the balcony stateroom. The concierge might allow something but officially, only the people booked in the Haven suite would have Haven access.

24 minutes ago, gsc500 said:

We were in the Family 2 bedroom Haven suite on the NCL Pearl to Alaska!  It was great to view the glaciers from the private Haven deck.  No crowds whatsoever!

The 2 bedroom Haven suite does have 2 separate sleeping areas and 2 separate bathrooms.  I would book that category for the master bath alone!  The shower and bathtub have windows facing out and have the BEST views. I think that bathroom is bigger than most cabins.  You should look at video tours of the cabin and bathroom on YouTube.

I am not sure that the beds in the "master bedroom" separate as it is literally just an alcove next to the master bath.  So, the most important question would be, will you be able to share a bed with your Mom?

There is plenty of room for 2 young adults in the second bedroom with en suite bath which is about the size of a regular cabin bathroom.

Personally, our family likes to hang out together.  Even when we booked 2 inside cabins (one and done), my girls would come over and squeeze into our cabin to chat, etc.  So, the communal living room in the 2 bedroom was perfect for how our family like to vacation together.

Now if you or your adult children need space apart from each other, 2 separate cabins may be better for family harmony.  I probably would not want to share any of my private space with my in-laws for an extended period of time for example.  Meeting up for meals and excursions would be enough together time with them.

You know your family better. 

But in terms of separate sleeping spaces and 2 bathrooms, the Family 2 Bedroom Haven suite has both but they are not equal at all in size and "luxury."  If I were paying for the trip, I would prefer the Haven 2-bedroom and the master bed and bath would be MINE!

Good luck!

I echo their sentiment.  My all time favorite cabin ever was the 2BR on the Joy.  As long as you don’t mind sharing a bed with your mom, this would be the obvious choice.  You kids would also have to be willing to either skeet on bunks or one sleep in the living room, but in my mind that’s a small price to pay to have that cabin directly in the Haven complex.  

15 minutes ago, Russiamomm said:

You kids would also have to be willing to either skeet on bunks or one sleep in the living room....

613fPulYDBL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I know that it's just a typo but  ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶u̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶.̶.̶.̶

2 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

613fPulYDBL._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

I know that it's just a typo but  ̶I̶ ̶d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶t̶r̶o̶u̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶e̶x̶p̶l̶a̶i̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶w̶h̶y̶.̶.̶.̶

LOL. Yes, typo.  Sleep…. 😂