Concern about the Panama Canal being cancelled due to lack of water

Droop

The hubby as well as other family members are going on the Celebrity Panama Canal & Southern Caribbean on (March 11 23), which is a partial transit being cancelled due to lack of water.  We have heard that there have been cruises cancelled or changed.  We have been on a full transit several years ago but the other family members have not been on the Panama Canal.  

I know there is also a risk of the cruise line changing the port but I was just curious if anyone has heard anything.  We have not seen the new canal since that last time.  My concern is if we make final payment and then they state the change after the fact.  

As far as I am aware most of the cancellations of Canal transits have come from cruise lines that did not have these itineraries scheduled years in advance.  Such is the case what Royal Caribbean did with their ship the Rhapsody, where they substituted Colon as a port call instead of a Canal transit.  That particular itinerary had only been announced a few months earlier.  Cruise ships can book transits up to two years out, I feel these long held reservations are secure.  The cuts in transits next year will come first by not making new reservations.

I suppose there is always some risk there could be a major itinerary change after final payment, however with such a major change as no transit, i believe significant allowances would be offered.

Edited by BillB48

On 11/8/2023 at 8:31 PM, Droop said:

The hubby as well as other family members are going on the Celebrity Panama Canal & Southern Caribbean on (March 11 23), which is a partial transit being cancelled due to lack of water.  We have heard that there have been cruises cancelled or changed.  We have been on a full transit several years ago but the other family members have not been on the Panama Canal.  

I know there is also a risk of the cruise line changing the port but I was just curious if anyone has heard anything.  We have not seen the new canal since that last time.  My concern is if we make final payment and then they state the change after the fact.  

Are they on the Beyond? I could see that, it being such a large new ship, there could be a concern about the draft. But then since it's only a partial transit--the ship doesn't HAVE to go through--they would likely simply port at Colon a day early and folks could take day trips to the various sets of locks via bus or smaller boat. Plus as you may know, there are big IMAX and other sorts of displays that explore the history of the canal, so they can still be assured that they have *been* to the canal.

Can't imagine that the cruise itself would be cancelled. But travelers can usually cancel if they choose not to take a cruise when the itinerary is changed; we did that once. They have a few weeks before even losing the deposit to decide if they want to gamble (final payment not until Feb.). Check travel insurance: sometimes they will cover a port change or cancellation, sometimes not. Ours wasn't covered for Greek ports they CHANGED, for floods and fires in Sept--but they have reimbursed for completely cancelled ports for weather, etc. Low water table issues and ship/insurance policies are more comprehensively explored on the River Cruise boards...but having nothing to do with Celebrity, unfortunately

(We're on the Celebrity Constellation cruise on those dates in 2024, much smaller. The port listed on our itinerary is Colon and not even a partial transit; if we want to see or even transit some locks, there are excursions to do that. We've done it before--plus 100s of locks in Europe, etc.--so will be doing jungle stuff that day... Which is very exciting too.)

Fun for your family, if they DO go on the canal cruise, from The Points Guy: 

If you're a reader who wants to glean all you can about this engineering marvel, pack a book that tells about the history and construction of the canal or download one onto your Kindle.

"The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914," by David McCullough does an excellent job of capturing the tragedy and triumph involved in building the canal.

If you're traveling with kids, "What is the Panama Canal?" by Janet B. Pascal breaks it down in an accessible way designed for those aged 8 to 12.

"Silver People: Voices from the Panama Canal" by Margarita Engle talks about the human toll that was needed, and "Erased: The Untold Story of the Panama Canal" by Marixa Lasso recounts the history from the Panamian point of view.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 12:35 PM, sofietucker said:

Are they on the Beyond? I could see that, it being such a large new ship, there could be a concern about the draft.

Negative, no draught issues. Compared to cargo ships, cruises ships have a much shallower draught. The Celebrity Beyond is only about 27', so no issues in the Canal, even with the reduced water levels.

Last I read, the Canal Authority is limiting draughts to about 45 '.

• Thanks 1

My apologies for not responding back.  Like everyone else we have been very busy with the holidays as well as everything else.  Thanks for responding for some feedback on the canal.  

Thanks Heidi for the info on the draughts on the Beyond.  We were talking with our BIL about whether they want to go on this cruise or not.  There are some other issues that have come up also but for now we are thinking about if the cruise is going to cancel the canal transit.  The final payment is due the first part of December.  I think we are going to pull the trigger on this. As usual we will get the travel insurance in case something comes up.  We have always had insurance while cruising.  Peace of mind 🙂  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2023 at 8:57 PM, Droop said:

My apologies for not responding back.  Like everyone else we have been very busy with the holidays as well as everything else.  Thanks for responding for some feedback on the canal.  

Thanks Heidi for the info on the draughts on the Beyond.  We were talking with our BIL about whether they want to go on this cruise or not.  There are some other issues that have come up also but for now we are thinking about if the cruise is going to cancel the canal transit.  The final payment is due the first part of December.  I think we are going to pull the trigger on this. As usual we will get the travel insurance in case something comes up.  We have always had insurance while cruising.  Peace of mind 🙂  

We just got $$$ back from Allianz after they switched a port to a different one; my TA says they will fully reimburse a cruise if you cancel due to a changed itinerary. (Note that this is NOT the ship's insurance!! Theirs usually says they can change with impunity and no reimbursement.)

1 hour ago, sofietucker said:

We just got $$$ back from Allianz after they switched a port to a different one; my TA says they will fully reimburse a cruise if you cancel due to a changed itinerary. (Note that this is NOT the ship's insurance!! Theirs usually says they can change with impunity and no reimbursement.)

We always buy third party travel insurance. But regardless of what a TA or anyone else may tell you, please read any policy carefully before you buy and make sure you understand what’s covered and what isn’t, and whether it’s a policy that does what you need. (For instance, how much of an itinerary would have to be changed for a guest to be fully reimbursed by the insurer if the guest cancels?) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sofietucker said:

Personally, I don't seek advice on travel insurance policies from my TA, I discuss with an insurance broker, but always thoroughly read the terms and conditions, specifically the definitions, what is covered and most importantly, the list of exclusions.

Unless you purchased the insurance from the TA, they can't possibly know the wording of your actual policy.

49 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Personally, I don't seek advice on travel insurance policies from my TA, I discuss with an insurance broker, but always thoroughly read the terms and conditions, specifically the definitions, what is covered and most importantly, the list of exclusions.

Unless you purchased the insurance from the TA, they can't possibly know the wording of your actual policy.

Yep, perfect advice. Our TA knows our policies thoroughly; she even prods us to submit claims: we just got back 100% reimbursement ($3800 each) for a trip to Spain and 100% airfare; many thousands over the years for illnesses, injuries, weather-related delays and cancellations (along with travel, meals, and hotel reimbursements); $$ for clothes we had to buy due to lost luggage in Sept; and $100pp for practically every single cruise that is supposed to stop in Key West or the Bahamas but always (in the past 20 years!) becomes a "sea day." I would never buy anything but Allianz Global.

Edited by sofietucker
  • Like 1