Disembarking at an earlier port

Hi crew,

I've asked this over on the Princess board but they're probably all asleep. and I got nowhere over the phone with Princess.

On a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA, could you disembark in one of the Mexican ports, Puerto Vallarta or Huatulco, instead of the final port of LA?

I'm booked and a friend is considering coming along but has other commitments and wants to fly home a few days early. Would there be an issue?

Thank you all.

28 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Hi crew,

I've asked this over on the Princess board but they're probably all asleep. and I got nowhere over the phone with Princess.

On a cruise from Fort Lauderdale to LA, could you disembark in one of the Mexican ports, Puerto Vallarta or Huatulco, instead of the final port of LA?

I'm booked and a friend is considering coming along but has other commitments and wants to fly home a few days early. Would there be an issue?

Thank you all.

I don't know how the US and Mexican authorities operate, but we have exited cruises early, and indeed joined a cruise at a later port , for convenience in NZ and Australia with out any problems, we just informed princess of our wish and it was approved.

If booking through a TA, it should be no problem for them to arrange it also.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Hi crew,

Thank you all.

😴 Not going there either. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ozwoody said:

I don't know how the US and Mexican authorities operate, but we have exited cruises early, and indeed joined a cruise at a later port , for convenience in NZ and Australia with out any problems, we just informed princess of our wish and it was approved.

If booking through a TA, it should be no problem for them to arrange it also.

Thank you. Yes, I wondered about the USA/Mexico thing. At least nobody has built a wall... yet.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Thank you. Yes, I wondered about the USA/Mexico thing. At least nobody has built a wall... yet.

Oh he's hoping to get back in to finish the thing.

Fingers 🤞he's very disappointed in that hope.😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, mum and son said:

Hi crew,

Thank you all.

Because of the PVSA they say no to any deviation from the cruise even if it's not a breach of the act .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Because of the PVSA they say no to any deviation from the cruise even if it's not a breach of the act .

It isn't a breach of the act.as the disembark is in a foreign port. An early disembark into a US port would be restricted.

However, it does require individual approval. In order to request an early disembark, I think your friend first needs to be booked, which will complicate things further. The port also needs to be capable of processing the entry into Mexico for your friend.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, arxcards said:

It isn't a breach of the act.as the disembark is in a foreign port. An early disembark into a US port would be restricted.

However, it does require individual approval. In order to request an early disembark, I think your friend first needs to be booked, which will complicate things further. The port also needs to be capable of processing the entry into Mexico for your friend.

Yes, you are correct. My friend needs to book before they will consider it, which is the biggest issue.

According to the Princess forum, Puerto Vallarta is the place to do it because it is a major port and a lot of the crew embark/disembark there. But our hands are tied because they will not consider until the cruise is booked for my friend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

We will be trying  downlineing in Bali Indonesia on Carnival Splendor before Singapore . Previously did Creet before Barselona and Bernie Tasmania re joined ship in Hobart. So I am following .😎

Are you downlineing or "uplineing" ? - yes, aware it's a made up word 🤣. I read that thread with interest, so thanks for posting. It seems most are referring to boarding the ship at a later port than the original embarkation port, which seems like a much harder task than getting off early.

I've actually arranged for family members to board late twice before, but in Australia, and long pre-covid, and on P&O.

Are you aiming to board later, or disembark earlier? My post on the Princess board has received a lot of replies while I was sleeping. It was suggested, if Princess declined the request, that my friend just disembarks in Mexico and calls the port authority to say they won't be returning and I would then deal with their suitcase once in LA.

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Are you downlineing or "uplineing" ? - yes, aware it's a made up word 🤣. I read that thread with interest, so thanks for posting. It seems most are referring to boarding the ship at a later port than the original embarkation port, which seems like a much harder task than getting off early.

I've actually arranged for family members to board late twice before, but in Australia, and long pre-covid, and on P&O.

Are you aiming to board later, or disembark earlier? My post on the Princess board has received a lot of replies while I was sleeping. It was suggested, if Princess declined the request, that my friend just disembarks in Mexico and calls the port authority to say they won't be returning and I would then deal with their suitcase once in LA.

Would she have trouble then leaving Mexico through immigration as the cruise line hadn't been able to let the authorities know in advance that she was on the list of passengers disembarking?

Given it's the US and Mexico I wouldn't be doing anything not pre-arranged. Maybe that's just me being overly cautious.

21 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Would she have trouble then leaving Mexico through immigration as the cruise line hadn't been able to let the authorities know in advance that she was on the list of passengers disembarking?

Given it's the US and Mexico I wouldn't be doing anything not pre-arranged. Maybe that's just me being overly cautious.

I agree. It is just like missing the ship, except it is a bit suss if you happen to have all your hand luggage with you.

2 hours ago, arxcards said:

I agree. It is just like missing the ship, except it is a bit suss if you happen to have all your hand luggage with you.

3 hours ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Yes I think it's risky, but such a shame it can't be arranged as part of the booking process. I might hit my agent up to work a bit harder on it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

Start chain smoking on the balcony before arrival at desired disembarkation port. Off in a flash.🤪

If only I had a balcony this time 🥺. As my first solo trip I think I'm in the absolute lowest category of cabin, perhaps I'm even working in the laundry...
I could possibly encourage my friend to perform some public area drunken antics, which wouldn't be too much of a stretch! Should have the same outcome.

• Haha 4