One more Question Southampton -->Norway / Immigration

Shiba_Lover

One more question from me...Cruise departs Southampton them first stop is Stavanger, Norway.  

I know there will be some type of immigration check 

We dock at 7.  Only in port till 3.  Trying to plan a DIY excursion that only has a 10 am start time.  A little concerned about being able to make it if passport checks are conducted onboard and it takes ages.  

Does anyone know if you are let off the ship and go through in a terminal or if you have to go through on board ( we had to do this on arrival in UK from EU once, with two officers and it took 2 hours)

Thanks

Did Southampton to Norway earlier this year and no passport checks. The first port (Bergen) we were off the ship 30 minutes after docking and bang on the scheduled disembarkation time. Just walked off into the sunshine (yes it was sunny!) Didn't take passports ashore so nobody looked at them. Had passports in our safe so no behind the scenes checks either. Only time passport was required was at check in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

how do you know this?

They always have some type of check.  I am wondering if they physically check passports (have had it happen before going from EU into UK and it took hours) or if they just rely on immigration to inspect the ship manifest so no real physical check of each passenger.   Sounds like we are good as they don't check each passenger.

Hi

as Jetstreamer said you won’t need anything to get off the ship other than your sea pass

we were there from Southampton in July and never removed our passports from the safe the entire cruise (Stavanger, Olden, Hellesylt or Haugesund)

19 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

They always have some type of check.  I am wondering if they physically check passports (have had it happen before going from EU into UK and it took hours) or if they just rely on immigration to inspect the ship manifest so no real physical check of each passenger.   Sounds like we are good as they don't check each passenger.

20 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

Does anyone know if you are let off the ship and go through in a terminal or if you have to go through on board ( we had to do this on arrival in UK from EU once, with two officers and it took 2 hours)

Thanks

Nothing to add to the discussion, just wanted to say what a smile it gives me when I see your name, Shiba_Lover, on these boards. We had a very dear Shiba and those dogs will always hold a special place in my heart.  

1 hour ago, cruisegirlppp said:

Nothing to add to the discussion, just wanted to say what a smile it gives me when I see your name, Shiba_Lover, on these boards. We had a very dear Shiba and those dogs will always hold a special place in my heart.  

Aww, yes, they are some of the best dogs.  ( Currently have one snoozing at my feet)

• Like 1