Laundry on Koningsdam 18 day Hawaii

Al2863

Never sailed HAL before and am going on the 18 day Hawaii on

Koningsdam.  Do they offer any laundry deals throughout the cruise like some of the other lines? 
Just trying to figure out how much I need to pack.  Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

There are three different plans to get your laundry done on HAL, and they are available at the same rate every day. 

First, you can pay by the piece. This is very expensive, and I have never heard or read of anyone doing it this way. 

Second, you can send out a full bag at a set price, whenever you want. The price has increased from the $20 it used to be, to either $25 or $30 (I don't remember the new price). 
The bags are cloth, so they won't tear when you roll and stuff a lot into them. You really can get a BIG load of laundry into those bags. 

The third plan is unlimited. You can send out as many bags, on as many days, as you wish. Since it is unlimited, those bags don't need to be filled. This is something to consider when you are sailing in a hot climate, like Hawaii. You can come in from the day, get out of your sweaty clothes, toss them in the bag, and leave it on the bed to be taken when your room is tidied. Just shower and dress for dinner, and don't give your clothes a second thought. 
That plan used to be $7 times the number of days in your cruise, but also went up. I believe it is now $9/day. The days you are aboard do count in the price, but you can't send laundry the last couple of days; they need time to get it washed, and back to you so you can pack. 

Clothes come back either on hangers (nice during the cruise), or folded (very nice right before you pack), within two days. (A little secret: the less you send in a bag, the sooner it tends to come back.) 
Clothes that are normally pressed, come back pressed; others are folded and returned in a basket. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

24 minutes ago, RuthC said:

There are three different plans to get your laundry done on HAL, and they are available at the same rate every day. 

First, you can pay by the piece. This is very expensive, and I have never heard or read of anyone doing it this way. 

Second, you can send out a full bag at a set price, whenever you want. The price has increased from the $20 it used to be, to either $25 or $30 (I don't remember the new price). 
The bags are cloth, so they won't tear when you roll and stuff a lot into them. You really can get a BIG load of laundry into those bags. 

The third plan is unlimited. You can send out as many bags, on as many days, as you wish. Since it is unlimited, those bags don't need to be filled. This is something to consider when you are sailing in a hot climate, like Hawaii. You can come in from the day, get out of your sweaty clothes, toss them in the bag, and leave it on the bed to be taken when your room is tidied. Just shower and dress for dinner, and don't give your clothes a second thought. 
That plan used to be $7 times the number of days in your cruise, but also went up. I believe it is now $9/day. The days you are aboard do count in the price, but you can't send laundry the last couple of days; they need time to get it washed, and back to you so you can pack. 

Clothes come back either on hangers (nice during the cruise), or folded (very nice right before you pack), within two days. (A little secret: the less you send in a bag, the sooner it tends to come back.) 
Clothes that are normally pressed, come back pressed; others are folded and returned in a basket. 

Thank you, great information!

1 hour ago, Al2863 said:

Koningsdam.  Do they offer any laundry deals throughout the cruise like some of the other lines? 
Just trying to figure out how much I need to pack.  Thanks in advance for any helpful info.

Hi A!

I just checked and Unlimited Laundry for my 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific is $7.50 per day (for the whole trip). That would be $135 for your cruise. It doesn't matter when you start the service, if you check unlimited on the slip, it is calculated for the whole trip. BUT, it is per cabin not per person. 

I personally could never rationalize the unlimited, but did use the bag option on several cruises. Here is what I got in a bag:

bag o laundry.jpg

However, now that I have attained Free Laundry through loyalty, and am contemplating 35-day cruises -- with carry-on luggage only -- I realize I should have used unlimited on some of our longer trips! 

One thing I want to add to Ruth's answer: HAL's laundry is VERY GOOD and will follow special instructions, even per item, even AIR-DRY!!! (it takes an extra day for air-dry to be returned). My first transatlantic I did all our washing up in the sink, including a least one man's cargo pants! because I had heard horror stories of (other lines) everything being washed and dried on HOT.

Edited by crystalspin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Hi A!

I just checked and Unlimited Laundry for my 35-day Hawaii/South Pacific is $7.50 per day (for the whole trip). That would be $135 for your cruise. It doesn't matter when you start the service, if you check unlimited on the slip, it is calculated for the whole trip. BUT, it is per cabin not per person. 

I personally could never rationalize the unlimited, but did use the bag option on several cruises. Here is what I got in a bag:

bag o laundry.jpg

Thank you!!

11 hours ago, Al2863 said:

Welcome to HAL!!

HAL does a GREAT job w/laundry - game changer on packing. Also nice to return home w/all clean clothes so unpacking is easier.

They take great pride and, as others have said, honor special requests, just write it on the form.

I took the paper out before I took the picture, but here's how hanging items are returned.

20231113_044115.thumb.jpg.3c59c431b88eb2d192ecb00cd41f9c0e.jpg

And here's how folded items are returned.

20231113_044132.thumb.jpg.dd66f0ac11590136892dd50df042bd93.jpg

Oh wait, this isn't laundry, but it was on the bed next to the basket - and it was clean, lol

20231113_044147.thumb.jpg.67aeed99b23bc64fd946c3122cd1b059.jpg

You'll even get little notes back w/your clean laundry.

20231113_043543.thumb.jpg.a3eac00d22fd262907bb4bbd8be6250e.jpg

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Thanks 2

I am a big fan of the laundry service and used by the bag or unlimited before having it included. They iron pants of mine I never iron and things always come back in excellent shape. 

As noted, you can add special instructions- we always write on our paper “cold water only” and “low heat dry” and have never had shrinkage. 

special tip- I have found that Dawn Power Wash dish soap is a foolproof stain remover on clothes. I use it at home and it takes stains out like magic (especially oil based food stains). I take a small bottle of it in a recycled hand sanitizer container on the ship and always spot treat any stains before sending to the laundry. I would not use on silk and delicate fabrics of course but for cotton, blends, etc works like a charm!

• Thanks 2

21 hours ago, RuthC said:

Ruth C always has the accurate information, she is the best . 👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, horseymike said:

Ruth C always has the accurate information, she is the best . 👍

Why, thank you! You have made my day! 

I will say that I don't post info unless I am sure. I could be corrected sometimes, but I won't know I am wrong until corrected. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Al2863 said:

Thank you all for the info!  I don’t need any further info, closing this post.

You probably can't stop us HAL-fan-kids from gushing about the laundry service. If the notices in your e-mail are annoying, scroll to the top of the thread and click on "Following" next to your original poster header. At the bottom of that dialog box, click "Unfollow"! Have a great cruise!

• Like 1