Hotels in Nice France

clcmdse

Traveling gurus,

We will be staying a few days in Nice France. Any recommendations for hotels? I have reviewed a few hotel websites, but I cannot tell whether it is better to stay at the beach (but looks to be further away from the action) or to stay in the city center. Would appreciate any advice. 

Catherine

Agree, that if it is within your budget, the Negresco is a great choice.    Otherwise, you might want to look at the pricing of the nearby Hyatt Regency or Meridian.  All these hotels have a great location.

Hank

3 hours ago, clcmdse said:

Traveling gurus,

We will be staying a few days in Nice France. Any recommendations for hotels? I have reviewed a few hotel websites, but I cannot tell whether it is better to stay at the beach (but looks to be further away from the action) or to stay in the city center. Would appreciate any advice. 

Catherine

Here is information, and a place to ask for more information, about French ports:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/462-france-ports/

Enjoy!!

GC

Thank you for these excellent suggestions.

To GeezerCouple, thank you for suggesting I search other locations on Cruise Critic. Indeed, the first place I looked was French ports, but a funny thing happens when you type in Nice hotels - you get a bevy of "nice" hotel posts (as in lovely hotels) LOL and no amount of maneuvering the search terms helped me isolate any recommendations - if there were any to begin with. But I had not thought of creating a topic post there. Will do!  Thank you. 

11 minutes ago, clcmdse said:

but a funny thing happens when you type in Nice hotels - you get a bevy of "nice" hotel posts (as in lovely hotels) LOL

Heh!

That's funny, but it makes sense, unfortunately. 😉 

I just tried, searching with "hotels in Nice, France", and a bunch showed up, including links to places like Expedia (which seems to be where "all roads lead" these days...).

Does that not work for you (or other "conglomerate hotel sites")?

Asking here on CC may certainly help, where you can ask specific questions of someone who has stayed someplace, of course.

As for "near the beach" or "in town", what are you hoping to do or see while there?

GC

Lets put the NIce hotel issue in perspective.  That city has many hotels, in all classes and in many different locations.  And than there is the issue of one's budget.  When it comes to location, we think the ideal area is along the Promanade d'Anglais on the central to eastern edge (towards old town).  This puts you in a decent part of town and within walking distance of the areas generally enjoyed by most visitors.  The down side is that this location does tend to increase the price.  Most tourists, especially first time visitors, will focus lots of their time along the Promanade and in the old town area (on the eastern side of town along the sea).  This part of town is not only wonderful for walking, browsing, and eating, but it is as safe as it gets in any tourist city.  

As we previously posted, our 3 favorite hotels/locations would be the Negresco, Meridian and Hyatt Regency.  The Meridian is a good choice in the summer months because it has a rooftop sun deck and pool.  The Negresco also happens to have an excellent/elegant restaurant called Chantecler which currently has 1 Michelin Star.  In fact, DW and I had one of the best meals of our lives in Chantecler, but that was many years ago when Dominique LeStanc was the chef (he now has his own small place in old town).  Unfortunately, when Chef LeStanc left Chanteclar he also abandoned his talent for haute cuisine (he now specializes in a less upscale regional cuisine).

For those on a budget, look for hotels a few blocks inland in the center to eastern part of town.

Hank

1 hour ago, clcmdse said:

Jancruz, I will look at Air B and Bs and try to search for the one that you stayed at. Sounds great!

I ll check and see if I can find it..we had a small balcony and could see the water..1 bedroom and one bath..nice kitchen not fancy but great location..we were friends with everyone around us when we left in a week..

LOL

Jancruz1

• Like 1