Celebrity Beyond has a mold problem

BKTE

Just off Beyond in Sunset Veranda and no issues. No odors or creaking. Last year in Aqua suite mid ship did have the issue with odor one day and the room attendant put water in the floor drain and no issue after that. Assume that he may have done daily but solved the issue. This year so much RSV etc going around so wonder if that also adds to issues as it gets shared in closes quarters I assume?

All in all ours was a good experience.

Both the M Class and E Class ships were built in a French shipyard. I find this conversation interesting because back when the M Class ships came out, and for a number of years after, there were many issues of sewer smells in different areas of the hallways and in some rooms. We remedied the room smell by dumping water down the drain. The smells seemed to be most pronounced when the ship was in port and not moving. Now apparently, the E Class has the same issues, plus mold. By contrast, the S Class ships were built in a German shipyard, and although not perfect they have had very few complaints of smells. I don't know if there's any correlation between where they were built but it's just curious. 

On 11/17/2023 at 7:27 AM, BKTE said:

Just got off the Beyond (Transatlantic Oct. 30 to Nov. 13) and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement.  Without going into too much detail - we had a musty odor in our SkySuite (11209) which I foolishly brushed off as just a "down south smell".  Every time I opened the door I got that odor for a split second. Day by day we got sicker and sicker until Day 10 when I realized what was happening - we were sick due to mold exposure.  Coughing, headaches, sneezing... 

I will post a more extensive review on this but I did want to post a warning to anyone boarding this ship.  If your cabin smells at all musty / moldy DO NOT brush it off.  It is not unique to a single cabin as we spoke to many other people experiencing similar symptoms (although not all as bad as ours).  Don't underestimate the damage a musty cabin can do on your health - particularly if you have other conditions like asthma (which my partner has).

I'm also curious as to how many other people onboard experienced a similar issue. Anyone?

However, just wanted to flag this for everyone -  take care.

Edited by Rotenmutts
It came accidentally with no questions asked...sorry. My real reply is below.

On 11/17/2023 at 7:27 AM, BKTE said:

Just got off the Beyond (Transatlantic Oct. 30 to Nov. 13) and to say we were disappointed would be an understatement.  Without going into too much detail - we had a musty odor in our SkySuite (11209) which I foolishly brushed off as just a "down south smell".  Every time I opened the door I got that odor for a split second. Day by day we got sicker and sicker until Day 10 when I realized what was happening - we were sick due to mold exposure.  Coughing, headaches, sneezing... 

I will post a more extensive review on this but I did want to post a warning to anyone boarding this ship.  If your cabin smells at all musty / moldy DO NOT brush it off.  It is not unique to a single cabin as we spoke to many other people experiencing similar symptoms (although not all as bad as ours).  Don't underestimate the damage a musty cabin can do on your health - particularly if you have other conditions like asthma (which my partner has).

I'm also curious as to how many other people onboard experienced a similar issue. Anyone?

However, just wanted to flag this for everyone -  take care.

Thanks for the tip.  I'm seriously allergic to molds and mildews.  My cruise is on the Beyond on January 8th.  Did you notice THAT smell when you first entered the room.  I usually can.  What a shame that happened.

I can't believe I'm reading this.  We a group of 6 was on the apex recently.   One of our friends who has a single cabin had the same problem.   Like you said, it got progressively worse until she complained.  Room attendant cleaned or cleared a blocked something outside her cabin (I didn't catch the details but I'll find out) and the smell was gone.   We had the same problem but since we open our balcony window most nights, it wasn't so bad.  This was Apex Barcelona to FLL 14 nights trans

45 minutes ago, FeelingCruisy said:

I can't believe I'm reading this.  We a group of 6 was on the apex recently.   One of our friends who has a single cabin had the same problem.   Like you said, it got progressively worse until she complained.  Room attendant cleaned or cleared a blocked something outside her cabin (I didn't catch the details but I'll find out) and the smell was gone.   We had the same problem but since we open our balcony window most nights, it wasn't so bad.  This was Apex Barcelona to FLL 14 nights trans

“It got worse until she complained.”

Why do people wait so long to tell someone about it?

Just thought that I would suggest since we have a condo in Mexico that we buy a plastic cover to go over all of our floor drains.They are inexpensive plastic covers that you could put on the floor but also in the sink .

Edited by sdnich
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rotenmutts said:

Thanks for the tip.  I'm seriously allergic to molds and mildews.  My cruise is on the Beyond on January 8th.  Did you notice THAT smell when you first entered the room.  I usually can.  What a shame that happened.

Yes.  Noticed a slight musty smell the minute we opened the cabin door - but not strong enough to continue smelling it once inside.  I did notice it every time we opened the door for the first couple of days and then went 'nose blind' to it.