Difference between Yokohama (Tokyo) and Tokyo cruise ports?

Cruise NH

We're on a Japan cruise from Vancouver next year.  The ship stops at Yokohama (for those just doing the trans-Pacific) and then goes around Japan.  We'll disembark at a port simply called 'Tokyo'.  I understand Yokohama is a city of course but they indicate Tokyo tours are available from there.  So what is the 'Tokyo' cruise port?

Your Cruise Line is not being upfront with you - or perhaps they do not yet have a berth assignment this far out from the cruise date.

There are 6 International Cruise Ports in the Tokyo Area:

2 in Yokohama and 4 in Metro Tokyo

All 6 ports are called  - at one time or another - a Tokyo Cruise Port.

If you Google Tokyo Cruise Port, you can find schedules for ship calls at all of these ports.

To narrow it down a bit, 3 of the International Terminals are located in Tokyo Bay, where any ship calling there must pass under the Rainbow Bridge. This bridge is quite low, so only small ships can access those Terminals. If your ship carries more than around 1000 pax, it will not fit under the bridge.

To narrow it down further -  2 of the Downtown Tokyo Terminals are used almost exclusively for Bay, River, and Dinner Cruises. Your ship most likely will not go there.

If your ship is small enough, it could call at Harumi Terminal in Downtown Tokyo - a very desirable and convenient place.

Your ship will most likely call at the new Tokyo International Cruise Terminal, located just South of the Rainbow Bridge and just North of Haneda Airport.

If it does not call there, the other 2 options are Osanbashi Terminal in Yokohama, or (if Osanbashi Terminal is full) or (if your ship is too large to fit under the Yokohama Bay Bridge), Daikoku Container Terminal in Yokohama Bay.

Tokyo Tours are offered from all 6 Tokyo Cruise Ports.

When we booked our Japan cruise on the Diamond Princess, there was some confusion on which port we would use in Yokohama, Osanbashi or Daikoku. At the time, Japan was just opening up to cruise traffic after their Covid restrictions. 
We did depart and arrive from Osanbashi. During sailaway, we were on deck to see Yokohama Bay, and watched as we sailed under the bridge. It seemed so close we thought we would strike the bridge!
Keep your fingers crossed that you will use Osanbashi. It’s walking distance from many hotels, or a short taxi ride.

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 4:39 PM, BruceMuzz said:

Your Cruise Line is not being upfront with you - or perhaps they do not yet have a berth assignment this far out from the cruise date.

There are 6 International Cruise Ports in the Tokyo Area:

2 in Yokohama and 4 in Metro Tokyo

All 6 ports are called  - at one time or another - a Tokyo Cruise Port.

If you Google Tokyo Cruise Port, you can find schedules for ship calls at all of these ports.

To narrow it down a bit, 3 of the International Terminals are located in Tokyo Bay, where any ship calling there must pass under the Rainbow Bridge. This bridge is quite low, so only small ships can access those Terminals. If your ship carries more than around 1000 pax, it will not fit under the bridge.

To narrow it down further -  2 of the Downtown Tokyo Terminals are used almost exclusively for Bay, River, and Dinner Cruises. Your ship most likely will not go there.

If your ship is small enough, it could call at Harumi Terminal in Downtown Tokyo - a very desirable and convenient place.

Your ship will most likely call at the new Tokyo International Cruise Terminal, located just South of the Rainbow Bridge and just North of Haneda Airport.

If it does not call there, the other 2 options are Osanbashi Terminal in Yokohama, or (if Osanbashi Terminal is full) or (if your ship is too large to fit under the Yokohama Bay Bridge), Daikoku Container Terminal in Yokohama Bay.

Tokyo Tours are offered from all 6 Tokyo Cruise Ports.

Hi, we are leaving on a cruise from Daikoku Terminal in April, and our hotel is near Yokohama train Station (besides taking taxi to the Daikoku Terminal) can you recommend any other ways of getting to the terminal? Thank you so very much.

ruimin

6 hours ago, ruimin said:

Hi, we are leaving on a cruise from Daikoku Terminal in April, and our hotel is near Yokohama train Station (besides taking taxi to the Daikoku Terminal) can you recommend any other ways of getting to the terminal? Thank you so very much.

ruimin

You could take a combination of buses and subway trains, with a bit of walking. But its really not worth the effort.

Just take a taxi.

31 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

You could take a combination of buses and subway trains, with a bit of walking. But its really not worth the effort.

Just take a taxi.

Thanks, I appreciate the help, do you know roughly how much it cost?

ruimin

11 hours ago, ruimin said:

ruimin

If you go to the Rome2Rio website and enter starting and ending locations, it will give you every possible travel option, as well as travel time and cost.

14 hours ago, ruimin said:

ruimin

Expecting ¥6200 (¥4200 cab fare + ¥2000 toll roads)

If you can manage your luggage, I rode the train to Shin-Koyasu, navigated 500 feet elevated walkway (have elevators access) to WEST EXIT taxi stand  ¥2700 to Daikoku Terminal. Train from Yokohama station to Shin-Koyasu station is 5 min ride and cost ¥170.

Yokohama map for cruise passengers

https://www.yokohamajapan.com/cruise/terminal/Yokohama Map For Cruise Passengers.pdf

6 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

Expecting ¥6200 (¥4200 cab fare + ¥2000 toll roads)

If you can manage your luggage, I rode the train to Shin-Koyasu, navigated 500 feet elevated walkway (have elevators access) to WEST EXIT taxi stand  ¥2700 to Daikoku Terminal. Train from Yokohama station to Shin-Koyasu station is 5 min ride and cost ¥170.

Yokohama map for cruise passengers

https://www.yokohamajapan.com/cruise/terminal/Yokohama Map For Cruise Passengers.pdf

I will also be leaving out of the Daikoku Terminal next month. How is traveling to Yokohama by train WITH luggage? We will each have one large suitcase or duffel and a single carryon. Just not sure how the trains are carrying luggage (we will be coming from Tokyo)

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

I will also be leaving out of the Daikoku Terminal next month. How is traveling to Yokohama by train WITH luggage? We will each have one large suitcase or duffel and a single carryon. Just not sure how the trains are carrying luggage (we will be coming from Tokyo)

if you can tell me which Tokyo district you will come from, then I can answer better.

2 hours ago, sherylc said:

We will be coming from Shinagawa Station.

It's an easy one, after 9am rush hours, trains won't be crowded.

Shinagawa station to Shin-Koyasu station:
JR Keihin-Tōhoku Line - Local (bound to: Isogo/Ofuna) Platform 5, runs every 10 min, fare: ¥310 ,21 min, 6 stops (JK20 - JK14)

Walk from Shin-Koyasu station to taxi stand:

image.png.f6012b43974149d0d4025f5198cae148.png

Station to elevated walkway: the elevator locates where the white trench coat woman standing.

image.thumb.png.7d10ac5e4ab7b1e7da24944b9071e226.png

Elevator for Elevated walkway to ground floor taxi stand.

image.png.5834c2fe08ba61bd6bc99047682158c4.png

Taxi stand:

image.thumb.png.bc3c8f68e96a9cfc1a7c0e74517a7a2e.png

Most Japanese taxi drivers don't speak English.  Daikoku Pier Cruise Terminal address in Japanese:

just show it to the driver without lost in translation

大黒ふ頭客船ターミナル

神奈川県横浜市鶴見区大黒ふ頭13.

https://www.yokohamajapan.com/cruise/terminal/daikoku/

Michael

Edited by monkey@cruise

Thanks for the directions with pictures -- appreciated! My biggest question, though, is how travel is WITH luggage. Is there a place for it on these trains? (We are planning on doing a train from Hiroshima to Shinagawa but are going to try for the green car back row to put luggage behind us.

1 hour ago, sherylc said:

Thanks for the directions with pictures -- appreciated! My biggest question, though, is how travel is WITH luggage. Is there a place for it on these trains? (We are planning on doing a train from Hiroshima to Shinagawa but are going to try for the green car back row to put luggage behind us.

Make sure you reserve the luggage space on shinkansen.  Will see Mt. Fuji  when sitting on the left side travelling from Hiroshima to Shinagawa. Only allow to eat and drink on Shinkansen trains.

https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/oversized-baggage/

No luggage racks in commuter train carriages. I usually ride at either end of the train, with more open space and less traffic, act like a Japanese local. 

image.jpeg.2439adcca8e18fa0a27c39d49ab7923f.jpeg