Aussie dollar improving

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Travelling when it was at parity or even better was wonderful. Had made lots of trips booked, most overseas and paid them in full as our dollar started dropping.

When Aussie dollar was better, I used to book with a US TA who worked from home for a big company and provided excellent efficient service.  My cruises were all overseas and the cost was much less expensive than through an Aust. TA.  

• Like 2

Just now, MMDown Under said:

When Aussie dollar was better, I used to book with a US TA who worked from home for a big company and provided excellent efficient service.  My cruises were all overseas and the cost was much less expensive than through an Aust. TA.  

Likewise.

22 hours ago, mum and son said:

Like me! I'll be upgrading to Plus when I board to use up some OBC, maybe I should buy the rest of the OBC today. Not that it makes a big difference for that level of spending. Might load some USD on my travel card though.

Do you know if it's possible to buy OBC with Holland America? And do they refund any not spent?

We have no OBC for a cruise booked in October next year, also gratuities not included which gets painfully expensive with the exchange rate.

2 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Do you know if it's possible to buy OBC with Holland America? And do they refund any not spent?

We have no OBC for a cruise booked in October next year, also gratuities not included which gets painfully expensive with the exchange rate.

With HAL you can pre-pay your gratuities in A$, at a very favourable exchange rate 🙂 Just log in to your account for the details.

20 minutes ago, boeckli said:

With HAL you can pre-pay your gratuities in A$, at a very favourable exchange rate 🙂 Just log in to your account for the details.

Thanks for that, is there a way to compare currency once logged in? So, do you select say $100 usd and then they say how much aud? Or do you just select how much in Aud?

I usually use one of my cards most favourable  on the day with exchange rates (card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee)

6 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thanks for that, is there a way to compare currency once logged in? So, do you select say $100 usd and then they say how much aud? Or do you just select how much in Aud?

I usually use one of my cards most favourable  on the day with exchange rates (card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee)

HAL01.jpg.32a7d60ade8d4d2c436fd3485a4a912b.jpg

On the next screen, select 'Pre-pay Crew Appreciation'. On the following screen you will see the daily rates (which are US@) and the A$ total for your cruise (you can then do the calculation for the exchange rate).

HAL02.jpg.eb0598a6f30c7b7ab079b0f576f8fd14.jpg

• Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

I don't know the answer, but I do the same. I always try to transact in USD as my card offers a much better rate that the vendor does. 

I actually can't even work out how to buy OBC when I log into Princess, so maybe it's not possible anymore.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, boeckli said:

HAL01.jpg.32a7d60ade8d4d2c436fd3485a4a912b.jpg

On the next screen, select 'Pre-pay Crew Appreciation'. On the following screen you will see the daily rates (which are US@) and the A$ total for your cruise (you can then do the calculation for the exchange rate).

HAL02.jpg.eb0598a6f30c7b7ab079b0f576f8fd14.jpg

Thankyou very much for going to the trouble of those instructions 😀

I am guessing then, that you can't pay in USD on an Aussie website, have to pay the AUD they have calculated. 

(92 days lucky you!) I have 11 months to wait .

8 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Thankyou very much for going to the trouble of those instructions 😀

I am guessing then, that you can't pay in USD on an Aussie website, have to pay the AUD they have calculated. 

(92 days lucky you!) I have 11 months to wait .

Why would you want to pay in USD? Taking today's rate for the card I would normally use, I've saved over AUD70 pp for the 16 day cruise 🙂

I believe all other pre-purchases would be payable in USD .

Your time will come too 😉 (I've already waited since January)

Edited by boeckli

4 minutes ago, boeckli said:

Why would you want to pay in USD? Taking today's rate for the card I would normally use, I've saved over AUD70 pp for the 16 day cruise 🙂

I believe all other pre-purchases would be payable in USD .

Your time will come too 😉 (I've already waited since January)

Only because I have found my bank gives me a better rate than the cruise companies with the conversion. I could be wrong.

Anyway , had no luck as the website gave an error when I tried to add my booking that wasn't showing. Maybe a Black Friday crash!

Have a lovely cruise!

2 minutes ago, Sallyandtex said:

Only because I have found my bank gives me a better rate than the cruise companies with the conversion. I could be wrong.

Anyway , had no luck as the website gave an error when I tried to add my booking that wasn't showing. Maybe a Black Friday crash!

Have a lovely cruise!

Thanks 🙂

Doubt that you can get better than 0.769 from your bank ...

• Like 1