Which "merged" OBC gets used first to pay for pre-booked excursions on the 2nd leg of a B2B?

Ken the cruiser

We have a 30-day B2B coming up where we have pre-booked excursions on both legs that we used both refundable (military) OBC and nonrefundable (shareholder and FCD) OBC to reserve. When we transition to the 2nd leg of the B2B, we will have over $600 in excess nonrefundable OBC transferring over in our account as well. On the 2nd leg we used up all of our "pre-cruise" OBC, both refundable (from military perk) and nonrefundable (shareholder benefits and FCDs), to pre-book (reserve) excursions on that leg.

Here's the question. When the excess $600 nonrefundable OBC from the 1st leg is merged with the (refundable and nonrefundable) OBC originally allocated to the 2nd cruise's shipboard account, will the OBC applied onboard to actually pay for the 2nd leg's excursions be in the order of nonrefundable OBC first before the refundable OBC is applied, even though we originally "used" the refundable OBC to "reserve" the excursions months in advance? 

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm jealous...sorry I can't answer your question. 

I have to say, we have definitely become cruiseaholics since cruising started back up. That's for sure. But part of that addiction not only includes "the joy of the hunt" looking for unique 3-5 week itineraries, but also figuring out what the rules of engagement are for each line we cruise with. 

We never really thought about the refundable/nonrefundable issue on our previous Princess B2Bs because we would always use it all to prebook excursions. The same is true with this B2B. Then PCL changed the rules on June 29 disallowing a guest to have both Military and Shareholder benefits, along with making the MOBC nonrefundable, on any new or refared bookings after that date.

This meant when we refared the 1st leg of our Antarctica B2B in early August, we lost the $250 SOBC, as we both qualify for the MOBC. So we had to use our credit card to replace that "lost" $250 SOBC or lose a very cool penguin excursion in the Falkland Islands.

Then PCL subsequently rescinded the MOBC/SOBC rule a few months later, which meant we could reapply for our SOBC. On top of that we made Elite after our last cruise which meant we now get 10% off our excursions once onboard in the form of OBC. This is why there is a significant amount of nonrefundable OBC potentially being transferred to the 2nd leg of our cruise.

But since we never refared the 2nd leg of our B2B, our $500 in MOBC is still showing as refundable. Hence the reason for my above question. IF the nonrefundable OBC posted to our shipboard account is used first to pay for our 2nd leg's excursions (after we complete each one), which we hope is the case, we'll budget accordingly to hopefully get a refund check sent to us after the cruise. If not, then we may go to Guest Relations on the first day to upgrade our current $50 Plus Package to the $80 Premium Package and/or go spend it on other frivolous things while onboard for those last 14 days.

Anyway, that's the reasoning behind why I asked my above question. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I did not have anything as complex as your situation and Princess messed it up.  I had $800 in non refundable credit.  At the beginning of the cruise, I added a $500 gift card (which was apparently my mistake).  Throughout the cruise, they depleted the refundable credit first, leaving me with non refundable credit at the end of my cruise.  Multiple people at guest services on board told me this would be fixed, but it was not.  It's been over 4 months and it's has still not been resolved.  So good luck.

Edited by theloo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, theloo said:

I did not have anything as complex as your situation and Princess messed it up.  I had $800 in non refundable credit.  At the beginning of the cruise, I added a $500 gift card (which was apparently my mistake).  Throughout the cruise, they depleted the refundable credit first, leaving me with non refundable credit at the end of my cruise.  Multiple people at guest services on board told me this would be fixed, but it was not.  It's been over 4 months and it's has still not been resolved.  So good luck.

OUCH.

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I have to say, we have definitely become cruiseaholics since cruising started back up. That's for sure. But part of that addiction not only includes "the joy of the hunt" looking for unique 3-5 week itineraries, but also figuring out what the rules of engagement are for each line we cruise with. 

We never really thought about the refundable/nonrefundable issue on our previous Princess B2Bs because we would always use it all to prebook excursions. The same is true with this B2B. Then PCL changed the rules on June 29 disallowing a guest to have both Military and Shareholder benefits, along with making the MOBC nonrefundable, on any new or refared bookings after that date.

This meant when we refared the 1st leg of our Antarctica B2B in early August, we lost the $250 SOBC, as we both qualify for the MOBC. So we had to use our credit card to replace that "lost" $250 SOBC or lose a very cool penguin excursion in the Falkland Islands.

Then PCL subsequently rescinded the MOBC/SOBC rule a few months later, which meant we could reapply for our SOBC. On top of that we made Elite after our last cruise which meant we now get 10% off our excursions once onboard in the form of OBC. This is why there is a significant amount of nonrefundable OBC potentially being transferred to the 2nd leg of our cruise.

But since we never refared the 2nd leg of our B2B, our $500 in MOBC is still showing as refundable. Hence the reason for my above question. IF the nonrefundable OBC posted to our shipboard account is used first to pay for our 2nd leg's excursions (after we complete each one), which we hope is the case, we'll budget accordingly to hopefully get a refund check sent to us after the cruise. If not, then we may go to Guest Relations on the first day to upgrade our current $50 Plus Package to the $80 Premium Package and/or go spend it on other frivolous things while onboard for those last 14 days.

Anyway, that's the reasoning behind why I asked my above question. 

If things are working correctly, they always use the Non-Ref OBC first.  I am not sure you will have any Ref OBC since the rules changed.  Did they grandfather Ref MOBC that was already in place indefinitely (until all of those bookings are completed as cruises)? 

It seems you used some OBC pre-cruise to book those excursions, so I don't think the OBC is re-constituted and used.  Did you pay for some excursions for 2nd leg on your CC?  Wouldn't you need to cancel and re-book on the ship in order to change the payment type?  Perhaps I am not totally following this and it reads more complicated than it is.

10 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Then PCL subsequently rescinded the MOBC/SOBC rule a few months later, which meant we could reapply for our SOBC. 

Can you. Please post this change regarding allowing both MOBC and SOBC to be given. Must have missed this change and have several cruises that we lost SOBC when we refared or didn’t apply for it on newly booked cruises. TIA

10 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

If things are working correctly, they always use the Non-Ref OBC first.  I am not sure you will have any Ref OBC since the rules changed.  Did they grandfather Ref MOBC that was already in place indefinitely (until all of those bookings are completed as cruises)?  Yes

It seems you used some OBC pre-cruise to book those excursions, so I don't think the OBC is re-constituted and used.  Did you pay for some excursions for 2nd leg on your CC?  Wouldn't you need to cancel and re-book on the ship in order to change the payment type?  Perhaps I am not totally following this and it reads more complicated than it is.

9 hours ago, coo359a2 said:

Can you. Please post this change regarding allowing both MOBC and SOBC to be given. Must have missed this change and have several cruises that we lost SOBC when we refared or didn’t apply for it on newly booked cruises. TIA

OK. Here is the current OBC status as shown on my Personalizer of our "refared" 1st leg of the January B2B. Notice the nonrefundable " * " next to Military Benefits. Prior to refaring, the " * " was not there.

image.thumb.png.19df7a15915eec2b5821acfa0e561bab.png

- Please post this change regarding allowing both MOBC and SOBC to be given. The Shareholder Benefits had also disappeared when we refared the 1st leg back in August. However, the SOBC was readded to the booking on Nov 15 after successfully submitting a new SHB request using the new StockPerks App "Alinea" option. BTW the only way I knew the Jun 29 MOBC/SOBC policy was rescinded was because of what I read on CC. I never received or found any official information released from Princess stating anything about the policy change.

And here is the current OBC status of our 2nd leg. This separate booking was never refared, so the OBC status appears as it did when we first booked it over a year ago. Notice there is no " * " next to Military Benefits.

image.thumb.png.469c2ade7dfc123594b118c0581ff090.png

- Did they grandfather Ref MOBC that was already in place indefinitely (until all of those bookings are completed as cruises)?  Yes

- Did you pay for some excursions for 2nd leg on your CC?  We used all of the OBC ($1150) to prebook the excursions on the 2nd leg along with our CC to pay for any overages, which there were. 

- Wouldn't you need to cancel and re-book on the ship in order to change the payment type? Therein lies the question, as we have no desire to cancel and rebook any excursions once onboard as most of them are currently sold out. 

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, theloo said:

That sticks! Was the $500 (gift card) OBC line item on your shipboard account marked as refundable, meaning there was no designation to the right of it whereas "nonrefundable" would have been listed to the right of the $500 if it had been designated as nonrefundable OBC. I'm sure there was no "nonrefundable" designation listed, but I thought I would ask.

Not sure, but it was clear it was a gift card.  On board GS could see it was refundable, all CS reps could see it too.  Just couldn't get the refund approved by anyone with authority.

2 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That sticks! Was the $500 (gift card) OBC line item on your shipboard account marked as refundable, meaning there was no designation to the right of it whereas "nonrefundable" would have been listed to the right of the $500 if it had been designated as nonrefundable OBC. I'm sure there was no "nonrefundable" designation listed, but I thought I would ask.

• Like 1