Port of San Diego

Lost in Italy

Ubers are allowed in the gate as soon as the port opens at around 10:30.  Sometimes earlier for Holland. 
there is one line until you get through security (a second line for people who do not have a barcode or Navigator) to have their boarding pass reprinted) 

after security there are priority check in areas 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

56 minutes ago, lais said:

Ubers are allowed in the gate as soon as the port opens at around 10:30.  Sometimes earlier for Holland. 
there is one line until you get through security (a second line for people who do not have a barcode or Navigator) to have their boarding pass reprinted) 

Also Ubers are allowed in to pick up passengers from Debark. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, lais said:

Thank you!

• Thanks 1

@lais walked down to the Embarcadero yesterday for a lunch at Seaport Village. I have never seen lines stretch all the way to the Broadway Pier. It was crazy. 
I’ve boarded with 3 ships in port but have never seen anything like this. 
tons of people in line had lots of luggage - were they not allowed to drop it off prior to joining the line?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SDARCH said:

@lais walked down to the Embarcadero yesterday for a lunch at Seaport Village. I have never seen lines stretch all the way to the Broadway Pier. It was crazy. 
I’ve boarded with 3 ships in port but have never seen anything like this. 
tons of people in line had lots of luggage - were they not allowed to drop it off prior to joining the line?

It was a mess.  Holland sent an email to every passenger telling them that because there were 2 ships in port to arrive before 11am  or after 2.   
our little port cannot handle this many people at one time. 
it was a very difficult morning 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, lais said:

it was a very difficult morning 

I’m sure it was. Seems everyone read that email and chose to come before 11. Holland didn’t do you any favors with that email.
Hopefully y’all were treated well and with respect. 
People in line looked very angry. 
Honestly, the port authority needs to bulldoze the port and start fresh if they want to support multiple ships. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

An attempt was made about 15 years ago to build a "modern cruise ship terminal" in San Diego at the end of Broadway.

The NIMBYS (Not in My Back Yard) so called "Downtown Coalition" (if I recall) kept the plan in court for several years.  Ultimately so many concessions were made to downsize....limit the height....limit the length and that it has become nothing more of a location suitable for ships with under 600 passengers.  

David

• Thanks 3

Just got off the Koningsdam yesterday.  On embarkation day, Ubers and taxis were allowed to enter the gate and drop off passengers who then went directly into the terminal building even though there was a huge line.  Port employees told me that passengers were suppose to go to the back of the line but they had no way to enforce it.

It was annoying to see that—folks behind us actually called an Uber and got in before us.  They were so proud when we ran across them later at the Ocean Bar.

Two ships that day as well.  We showed up at our boarding time (1:30 pm).  Line surprisingly moved quickly—we were on board within 45 minutes.

Edited by disneyochem

Believe it or Not the City of San Diego and the harbor authority is not cruise ship friendly.  They do nothing to encourage a smooth operation.  Several years ago all the cruise lines stopped coming to SD as they were charging the highest port fees on the west coast and had terrible facilities.  Basically, the city doesn't need the cruise lines income or at least they didn't until COVID.  Now let's talk about the airport on cruise day; even worse than the port.  

If you didn't already know.....the San Diego Airport is undergoing a major renovation to Terminal One.

Phase 1 will be done in a year.....and then Phase 2 will follow with another 2 years of construction.

Improvements take time.  There has been no parking at Terminal 1 for almost a year.  

I agree that the politicians could care less about cruises.  The last mayor ran his campaign based on repairing potholes...and he won.  We still have potholes.... and his ambition is to run for governor.

The County and City would rather that Los Angeles and Long Beach deal with cruises.

Cruise calls in San Diego will be down over 50% in the years to come compared to 2022-2023.

The forecast for 2024-2025 and beyond is even weaker.

Newer ships recently constructed carry over 4,000+ guest....up to nearly 6,000 soon to be sailing from Florida and Texas.  San Diego's port has but one gangway....newer ports have 2 or more.

San Diego does not wish to compete for the maritime industry...cruises....containers...etc.  We have bananas, automobiles, bulk chemicals.... and apparently that is sufficient to those who could change the future of the port.

David

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We sailed out of Port Pavillion (the “ new” terminal) in April 2022 and out of B Street in April 2023. Port pavillion had it dialed in.  Was amazing.  B Street was a nightmare. I understand that it is port agents and workers, and not necessarily employees of the cruise line.  But there should be standardized training for all.  Such an amazingly different experience. We will continue to go out of San Diego when the itinerary suits as it is the home port, but have some work to do.  I see why cruise lines would not want to home port out of San Diego, because they are blamed for issues, rather than the port authority.