Menus and inroom dining.

marden1970

We were on the Emerald last month.  Daily menus for that day were available on the TV but ordering from room service had to be done on the ap or calling.  We were on the Enchanted last year and you could order room service from the TV.  Evidentially it varies by ship.  

• Thanks 1

And there are some advantages if you have booked the Plus or Premier cruise fares in regards to ordering.  We just got off the Sky about a week ago...I never saw where you could order on the TV like you used to be able to do.  

Side note: if you like to order breakfast via the "door hanger" menu, just note that they have reduced what is printed on that menu as being available...BUT you can write in other items.  I always liked to go with a very light breakfast consisting of a couple of toasted English muffins.  They used to be offered on the printed menu.  I simply wrote it on the side of the menu several times that cruise (a TA) and we always got them.

• Thanks 2

We just got off Grand Princess. While the menus were available on the TV they didn't always match what showed up once one arrived at the dining room. Some entrees would vanish or turn into something else.

'It's more of a guideline".

We also found that the menu listings could be wildly inaccurate. My wife ordered Jambalaya. When it arrived it was white rice with a bit of shrimp and some flecks of something or other. It looked, and tasted, nothing like Jambalaya.

I ordered Chilies Relleno and was served a Stuffed Bell Pepper. One is a Roasted Poblano chili with the skin removed. It is then filled with cheese, dipped in batter, and fried. The other is a boiled Bell Pepper with a rice mixture inside. (While I do understand that Chili Relleno is actually a "stuffed chili pepper" it isn't stuffed with rice.)

I eat both dishes fairly regularly in real life. On a cruise it seems that makes no difference. In each of the above cases the head waiter swore to us that it "really was" what was listed on the menu. Either he's a moron or he's deliberately lying in the hope that the passengers won't know the difference. After all, if I order Beef Wellington and am served a hamburger I'm going to be upset. If they then proceed tell me that what I have been served "really is" Beef Wellington I'm going to be even more upset.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1