Comparison of waiters salaries among cruise lines

travelberlin

I have just seen this comparison about how much waiters make as a base salary on cruise ships. I am happy to see that those working at Crystal ships are among the best paid.

https://crew-center.com/cruise-lines-comparison-how-much-does-waiter-earn?fbclid=IwAR0I4A5qIGtjejB0Z4alLhy6y_wgTg7-QUfwyE4cYPmvLcWLpJOkZUr9EzY

Ivi

Those are also base salaries as well, and not total compensation.  Work rules, amenities/inclusions, hours, and other forms of compensation (which a built-in gratuity component would usually fall into) are also examples of factors above bae pay.

Vince

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BWIVince said:

Those are also base salaries as well, and not total compensation.  Work rules, amenities/inclusions, hours, and other forms of compensation (which a built-in gratuity component would usually fall into) are also examples of factors above bae pay.

Vince

That is right and it applies to all cruise lines for comparison. No one knows how much they make in terms of gratuities or other benefits. The article says:

“The figures provided by the popular website SHIPLIFE, which tracks the salaries of all the major cruise lines, shed light on the variations in waiter salaries across different companies. It is important to note that the figures represent the base salary and do not account for potential tips, gratuities, or commissions.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Bear in mind that they are comparing cruiselines that are all inclusive with those that are not.  When Crystal went all inclusive they stated salaries would be adjusted.

It looks like most cruise lines nowadays include prepaid gratuities at the moment of booking. I was reading for example, that at Royal Caribbean,  although passengers can request not to pay the suggested per day gratuities (this means removing them from their bills) that about 2% of total passengers do this. I imagine that the cruise lines kind of guarantee those base salaries to the waiters. In the all inclusive cruise lines passengers pay the gratuities and as far as I know, no passenger would request a refund. In the cruise lines like Royal Caribbean if someone request a refund, probably the cruise line would pay instead of the passenger. 

Ivi

I assume it is per month during their contract. I think contracts are per a certain number of months (4, 6, or 9). I would be too low if someone gets US 1800 for the whole 9 months (US 200 per month?). And the number of months varies among cruise lines. In order to make those base salaries comparable, who ever investigated them, had to use a base unit for example a month. 

But this is just my guess. The article does not say it. I might be wrong.

Ivi

Edited by travelberlin
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Azulann said:

I see that Viking Ocean cruise line is not listed.  During the pandemic, with ships not sailing ,  ,they were paid from the Norwegian Seafarer Union.  

In some countries, laws protect workers more than in others. It is good to know that in Norway, crew members were protected. I wonder if they work per contract also 🧐. Because it is more likely that once the contract finish, no one receives a further compensation independently of the circumstances.

Ivi

• Like 1

I looked at the data and honestly have not clue what it represents.

Some of the data makes no sense to be monthly or by contract while other data could be categorized that way.

Where they ask for a submission it doesn't even note  what it is based on.

But an interesting read.

Keith

According to the CrewCenter article, their salary information came from the SeaLife website. This is what SeaLife says about their posted salaries for open positions at sea:

Here you have access to all positions available on board cruise ships, sorted by the position title, the company and the salary per month with the currency of the company.

• Thanks 1