Gratuities

travellgirl

Good morning. 
can anyone tell me if the daily tips in a suite include the butler? 
We will give him something extra at the end, but finding and hearing conflicting information about if he gets anything from the automatic gratuities 

thanks 

1 hour ago, travellgirl said:

finding and hearing conflicting information about if he gets anything from the automatic gratuities... 

there really shouldn't be any conflicting information about whether butlers are compensated from the "onboard service charge." 

people may express their preferences about tipping the butler and concierge and they may express differences in their willingness to tip, but NCL outlines in their FAQs quite clearly that butlers are not part of the "onboard service charge" pool:

"certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. we encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, UKstages said:

there really shouldn't be any conflicting information about whether butlers are compensated from the "onboard service charge." 

people may express their preferences about tipping the butler and concierge and they may express differences in their willingness to tip, but NCL outlines in their FAQs quite clearly that butlers are not part of the "onboard service charge" pool:

"certain staff positions (e.g., concierge, butler, youth program staff and beverage service) provide service on an individual basis to only some guests and do not benefit from the overall service charge. we encourage those guests to acknowledge good service from these staff members with appropriate gratuities."

I was confused about the "Beverage Service" being included in this when I read it.  What does the 20% gratutity charge on the beverage package cover?  Are we expected to get our own drinks and the 20% is for the privilege of drinking their liquor? Sarcasm aside... I was stunned when I read that the night before we disembarked in a letter delivered from the concierge on our cruise on the Getaway in November.  I even took the letter to the service desk for further explanaton and was told that, of course, I should "just know I should always be tipping extra for every drink when it is served."😵

• Like 1

tipping for drinks included in your beverage package is not required (that's what the 20% on the inflated value of the "free at sea" drink package is for. many people do tip extra, although most do not.

tips for "beverage service" without a drink package, or for the portion of a drink that exceeds the dollar limit of your drink package (generally $15)  are added to the bill at the time of service.

10 minutes ago, UKstages said:

tipping for drinks included in your beverage package is not required (that's what the 20% on the inflated value of the "free at sea" drink package is for. many people do tip extra, although most do not.

tips for "beverage service" without a drink package, or for the portion of a drink that exceeds the dollar limit of your drink package (generally $15)  are added to the bill at the time of service.

I guess what threw me, was the fact that we had upgraded to the FAS Plus (for the first time), and had already paid the inflated... ahem... increased amount for additional tip money.  We were given the letter to remind us to give out extra tip money to the concierge, butler, and beverage service people the day before we disembarked.  (Oh, and yes, we had already tipped extra to those we thought had gone above and beyond during the week, but it just struck me wrong, to see the beverage service included, too.)  I know the butler and concierge do not benefit from the $25 daily service charge, but since when have the beverage servers been excluded?

2 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

I guess what threw me, was the fact that we had upgraded to the FAS Plus (for the first time), and had already paid the inflated... ahem... increased amount for additional tip money.  We were given the letter to remind us to give out extra tip money to the concierge, butler, and beverage service people the day before we disembarked.  (Oh, and yes, we had already tipped extra to those we thought had gone above and beyond during the week, but it just struck me wrong, to see the beverage service included, too.)  I know the butler and concierge do not benefit from the $25 daily service charge, but since when have the beverage servers been excluded?

Beverage servers have never been participants in the DSC.

As you know, the service charge they hit you with for the beverage package is for those servers.

And, for any beverage purchased onboard otherwise, they add 20% instantly onto the bill.

Now, anyone can add an additional tip if they like. But it is outrageous for the ship to tell you that you should always be tipping more.

20% is certainly a decent tip as things go (IMHO). I'd say that only if a bartender extended some sort of extraordinary service, or, if you were served by one repeatedly during the cruise who you felt deserved that something extra, should anything additional be given.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

Beverage servers have never been participants in the DSC.

As you know, the service charge they hit you with for the beverage package is for those servers.

And, for any beverage purchased onboard otherwise, they add 20% instantly onto the bill.

Now, anyone can add an additional tip if they like. But it is outrageous for the ship to tell you that you should always be tipping more.

20% is certainly a decent tip as things go (IMHO). I'd say that only if a bartender extended some sort of extraordinary service, or, if you were served by one repeatedly during the cruise who you felt deserved that something extra, should anything additional be given.

You are right, of course. I was confusing the 20% gratuity with the DSC. I guess since we pre-pay the 20% gratuity, we are supposed to forget it has already been added. It's almost as if the servers might actually not get get that gratuity after all and that might be why they expect it to be paid at the time of service once again.🤔 Oh, but that's a whole other  discussion. 

3 hours ago, DebbieCruises said:

You are right, of course. I was confusing the 20% gratuity with the DSC. I guess since we pre-pay the 20% gratuity, we are supposed to forget it has already been added. It's almost as if the servers might actually not get get that gratuity after all and that might be why they expect it to be paid at the time of service once again.🤔 Oh, but that's a whole other  discussion. 

Yeah, how those funds are actually distributed might be an issue. Likely, it's done in a fashion like the DSC, where NCL pays some directly to the staff and uses some to pay for other perks.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, cruiser2015 said:

We're probably splitting hairs but DSC, as stated on the NCL website, isn't technically a "tip."  It's part of the participating crew's comp package and goes to crew entertainment etc.  That said, additional tips, while always appreciated, are not expected.  I don't know firsthand how the beverage package tips work, I assume similarly (i.e. not split among bartending crew based on number of pax) but won't pretend to know with any certainty.

I agree with the above comment, though.  While appreciated/not expected, I do bring cash for tips.  My room steward (non-Haven) gets something if he's good, which has (almost) always been the case.  I'll frequently -- but not always -- tip bartenders.  If service is attentive/friendly or I'm sitting somewhere for a while, I'll certainly throw a few bucks to them.  But if I grab a drink and move on, probably not.

Moral of the story is, unless you're in the Haven, you do you because you've already contributed.  Butlers and concierges in Haven aren't part of the pool so you're expected to tip them.  Not sure why that isn't included in Haven pricing but it is what it is.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:04 AM, travellgirl said:

Good morning. 
can anyone tell me if the daily tips in a suite include the butler? 
We will give him something extra at the end, but finding and hearing conflicting information about if he gets anything from the automatic gratuities 

thanks 

There are no daily tips anywhere.  You are confusing the DSC with tips.  The only correct answer on how ro rip is to tip anyone you want any amount you want at any time you want.  Everything erlse is opinion, conjecture, and irrelevant.  Enjoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

There are no daily tips anywhere.  You are confusing the DSC with tips.  The only correct answer on how ro rip is to tip anyone you want any amount you want at any time you want.  Everything erlse is opinion, conjecture, and irrelevant.  Enjoy your cruise.

Potato, potahto...

A matter of opinion.

Technically not tips in the traditional sense.

However, remember that the genesis of the DSC is derived from the old tipping system for MDR waiters, bussers & room stewards.

The DSC covers those plus some other crew positions; then is distributed in part directly to the crew (a tip in my opinion) and in part through other forms of benefits.

26 minutes ago, cruiser2015 said:

Potato, potahto...

A matter of opinion.

Technically not tips in the traditional sense.

However, remember that the genesis of the DSC is derived from the old tipping system for MDR waiters, bussers & room stewards.

The DSC covers those plus some other crew positions; then is distributed in part directly to the crew (a tip in my opinion) and in part through other forms of benefits.

And I will add, NCL for years and NCL's major partners (e.g WTH) to this day refer to the DSC as "tips" and "gratuities" in marketing materials.  

IMO, people can stamp their feet all they want that the DSC isn't the tips, but to me they are one and the same.

Edited by PATRLR
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

The DSC covers NCL’s contract liability to the crew covered under those certain positions.  This is all you need to pay if this is all you want to do.  No issues…especially if you’re an occasional cruiser. 

If you tip above and beyond via signed ticket (like adding a tip to specialty dining, or at the bar) it goes into the NCL pool of MANY people…NCL decides how to share.  

If you wish to tip more, do it in cash, not via signed receipt .    If you tip cash at the bar…it is split amongst the bar staff and becomes cash in the pocket.  If you cash tip room steward…it is cash in pocket.  Which…is why we tip room steward daily.

Personally…we love to tip.  Not huge amounts…but anyone making my situation better than me doing it by myself …thank you, and here’s a small gratuity.  

• Like 5

13 hours ago, laudergayle said:

The DSC covers NCL’s contract liability to the crew covered under those certain positions.  This is all you need to pay if this is all you want to do.  No issues…especially if you’re an occasional cruiser. 

If you tip above and beyond via signed ticket (like adding a tip to specialty dining, or at the bar) it goes into the NCL pool of MANY people…NCL decides how to share.  

If you wish to tip more, do it in cash, not via signed receipt .    If you tip cash at the bar…it is split amongst the bar staff and becomes cash in the pocket.  If you cash tip room steward…it is cash in pocket.  Which…is why we tip room steward daily.

Personally…we love to tip.  Not huge amounts…but anyone making my situation better than me doing it by myself …thank you, and here’s a small gratuity.  

A buck here for a particularly good bartender.  I little extra to my room steward.  A buck here and there to those who have made things a little easier for me?  Makes for a much more enjoyable cruise.

I know I'm happier than those who are constant curmudgeons complaining about everything and marching down to Customer Service to wait in a long line to remove tips over any real or perceived slight.

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I know I'm happier than those who are constant curmudgeons

Kind of a low bar for happiness.  Why not go to five bucks here and there and reach out for a state of personal nirvana?

I recognize this may be subject to diminishing returns....

Edited by d9704011

9 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Kind of a low bar for happiness.  Why not go to five bucks here and there and reach out for a state of personal nirvana?

I understand.  I usually pull out Grants, Franklins and Benjamins at the end of the cruise!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

@graphicguy was throwing out US bucks 🤣

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, PATRLR said:

And I will add, NCL for years and NCL's major partners (e.g WTH) to this day refer to the DSC as "tips" and "gratuities" in marketing materials.  

IMO, people can stamp their feet all they want that the DSC isn't the tips, but to me they are one and the same.

Thanks for your opinion.  I refer you to the FAQ on NCLs page.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, PartyPlannerLady said:

Thanks for your opinion.  I refer you to the FAQ on NCLs page.

Yes, NCL has an excellent marketing department. Just look at how the price goes UP with each new fabulous sale they have. The cruise I have booked for next fall has increased in price with each and every sale since I booked it. But is that what NCL is telling us? They tell us what they want us to believe. It is our choice to accept their terms. I do accept them, but with my eyes wide open. I know they need to make money just like any other company. I just wish they could stop with the word games.

Edited by DebbieCruises
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, DebbieCruises said:

Yes, NCL has an excellent marketing department. Just look at how the price goes UP with each new fabulous sale they have. The cruise I have booked for next fall has increased in price with each and every sale since I booked it. But is that what NCL is telling us? They tell us what they want us to believe. It is our choice to accept their terms. I do accept them, but with my eyes wide open. I know they need to make money just like any other company. I just wish they could stop with the word games.

A "SALE" may not always be a sale - at least the one you might hope for.

But, most likely, what you are observing is the result of cruise ships filling up - and the lines jacking up their prices to match the market activity.