Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

On 5/1/2024 at 8:04 AM, Redtravel said:

On my first cruise many years ago in 1988, you had an assigned teak deck chair.  Your name was on it.  You picked your chair location as you checked in.  Every afternoon, they served tea on the deck. We dressed up every night. In the dining room, we were assigned to a table. You could eat all 3 meals at your table. You could also come for the midnight buffet in the dining room.  Your waiter knew what drinks you liked and had them on the table when you arrived. It was very elegant. Those were the good old days. 

Sounds a lot like Cunard. Even there the chair hogs abound. That's when we started doing the Grills. You had a restricted area for Grills pax only. Never a chair hog issue there.

My spouse asked a crew member on our Jan. cruise (Vista)about the chair hogs.The policy was changed due to really snotty pax getting in the pool butlers faces.You'll see cards scattered about & the cruise director was really insistent on his morning announcements that hogging was not to be tolerated Same in the theater.We saw staff enforce this in the theater.Once on Celebrity this occurred... A woman saved a dozen seats & we just walked right past her & sat. She got snotty & my husband told her to P/O.It worked. Others came to sit in the are as well & it wasn't her group of friends,ether. Someone always has to make the first move..

• Like 2

On 4/29/2024 at 7:40 PM, Techno123 said:

We had a fortnight in a lovely hotel in Cyprus. As part of the checkin process we were told that we would have 2 sun beds allocated to us for the duration

We're going to a 5* resort in Cyprus in the autumn where, apparently, they have the same arrangements for sun beds. Obviously, they'll have the space to do that which a ship can't. We're looking forward to seeing how this place compares with the "hotel" side of things on an Oceania ship. It seems to be potentially similar - speciality restaurants, free booze, shows in the evening, etc. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 12:56 PM, TRLD said:

Funny thing is it appears that you have the same number of new cruisers as was on the FP trip and that cruise had some complaining about lounge hogs.

In my opinion the lounges were taken but occupied 90% of the time so not very much hogging just lots of lobsters.

I suspect the difference between the cruises is not migration, but instead the demographics of where the cruisers are from.  On the FP cruise a lot of Canadians and a lot of Americans from northern states. Basically people getting away from winter and wanting to spend time (a lot of time) in the sun. Couple that with a far number of Europeans and sun loving Australians  End result very heavily occupied Lounges.

A Mexican cruise appeals to Californians because they do not have to fly, who to a large degree get all of the sun they want at home. 

Suspect the difference is more the location where the cruisers are from and not line migration.

I tend to agree with your theory. We live full time in Florida ,10 minutes from the beach,and have our own pool. As such, at home we can be sitting by the ocean or poolside anytime. We’re just as happy to sit out on the Veranda rather than jockey for a lounger.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Harters said:

We're going to a 5* resort in Cyprus in the autumn where, apparently, they have the same arrangements for sun beds. Obviously, they'll have the space to do that which a ship can't. We're looking forward to seeing how this place compares with the "hotel" side of things on an Oceania ship. It seems to be potentially similar - speciality restaurants, free booze, shows in the evening, etc. 

Not really one of the Lounger people, not for the past 30 years anyway. However, from observation, the issue aboard ship seems to be with those wanting a lounger in the shade. I often see full Sun loungers available, but not those hidden under the overhang. In the 5* resorts we have visited, for those that want them, umbrellas are always available to hide from the sun. Because of space limitations, not so on Oceania ships.

Regarding specialty restaurants: One of the resorts in the Baja had two wonderful Specialties to go with their regular buffet and sit down service restaurants. Several years ago they were forced to go to an allocated reservation system. It had always been first come first with the reservation desk opening at 7:00 am. Lines started forming around 5:30-6:00 in the morning!! That 5:30 was 8:30 ET and those people had no problem getting up that early. For those of us that were on MT or PT, it was an issue. Resort finally changed over to a system much like O. Do it online, in advance, with an allocated number of reservations. Much better system. Allowed us to plan and go into town at least a couple nights for the local flair.

• Like 1

We have only cruised O a couple of times - we are usually Regent, Silversea & Seabourn folk.

As some others will know the 'chair hog' issue applies to every cruise line and resort in the world.  

Can it be solved ? - well yes, I think it can be, with just a little bit of desire from the cruise company.

Well one action that we haven't seen taken that may just work is for the Captain to arrive at the end of the safety drill on Day 1, and deliver an assertive message to those assembled that he thinks that chair hogs are absolute ar*eholes ! 

Then maybe repeat it ocassionally at the midday Captain's update, and also for the Hotel Director to remind everyone when they do their 'good morning campers' spiel at 08:00 or whatever.

I wonder how many 'chair hogs' would ignore the words of the Captain, particularly if he threatened some 'plank walking' for offenders. 😂 😉       

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Terrible chair hog issues on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (our most recent sailing a few months ago) — seems to have gotten worse recently.

The cruise lines seem unwilling to enforce policies.  They could put down timestamped cards and collect them along with belongings (I’ve seen apples, flip flops, books, etc) after reasonable Timelapse, perhaps 45 minutes.  The belongings to be deposited on a vicinity table.

As long as the cruise lines ignore this, the passengers will suffer — just not right.  It is not quite as much fun if we need to be circling the outside lounges like trying to find parking at the mall during the holidays— oh, and am paying thousands for the privilege onboard.  

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, true45 said:

Terrible chair hog issues on Princess, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (our most recent sailing a few months ago) — seems to have gotten worse recently.

The cruise lines seem unwilling to enforce policies.  They could put down timestamped cards and collect them along with belongings (I’ve seen apples, flip flops, books, etc) after reasonable Timelapse, perhaps 45 minutes.  The belongings to be deposited on a vicinity table.

As long as the cruise lines ignore this, the passengers will suffer — just not right.  It is not quite as much fun if we need to be circling the outside lounges like trying to find parking at the mall during the holidays— oh, and am paying thousands for the privilege onboard.  

As we've said many times. If you walk around a bit.. Look to see how many are in the pool. Are the drink glasses full of water & no ice. At that point we just move in. My spouse just takes the belongings( mostly books/Mags & tosses them on the towel locker.As I said no issues on our Jan. Vista cruise. The captain & most especially the cruise director spoke often about it. Princess/Celebrity were terrible & my spouse got into a few times, telling one guy if he'd like to see the water close up, my spouse would oblige him.Most cases a call to security moves the hogs away quickly.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rbtan said:

As we've said many times. If you walk around a bit.. Look to see how many are in the pool. Are the drink glasses full of water & no ice. At that point we just move in. My spouse just takes the belongings( mostly books/Mags & tosses them on the towel locker.As I said no issues on our Jan. Vista cruise. The captain & most especially the cruise director spoke often about it. Princess/Celebrity were terrible & my spouse got into a few times, telling one guy if he'd like to see the water close up, my spouse would oblige him.Most cases a call to security moves the hogs away quickly.

😊 — don’t want to get into it with other passengers but I like your style.