Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

Music around the pool is one reason I will not sail on the larger O ships since they   don't have the abbreviated promenade decks you find on the R class ships.  (Deck Five.)  There you can find peace and quiet except for the sound of the ocean. Perfect place to read under a lifeboat.  No crowds.  No chair hogs. No music.  

Deck Chair.

• Like 4

I think the real answer to the question posed in the title is "yes'" unless and until the paying customers demand proactive crew responses to chair hogs.  As long as the various cruise lines aren't getting a hoard of demands by the customer base, they will continue with a laissez faire approach to the issue.  The cruise lines don't really want to intervene, so they put the onus back onto the passengers to enforce their rules by either taking direct action or reporting the chair hogs to crew members already present on the lido.

I have two suggestions for mitigating what has always been the nagging problem:

Everyone completing the all-important post cruise surveys should add complaints that the crew are neglecting to enforce the chair hog issue.  When they ask in the survey what could be done to improve service, make a point of suggesting they take the chair hog issue seriously.  They tend to pay more attention those post cruise surveys.

A second suggestion would be to have a crew member assigned to issue a time stamped card to any passenger needing to vacate their lounger for a short time.  The card could read something like "RESERVED UNTIL 1:15 PM."  If one is looking for a chair, they could look at the reserved cards until they find one that is expired and either that crew member would be responsible to collect any belongings, or the passenger could remove the items themselves.  Also, the rule should be only one card per passenger.

That being said, I have no realistic expectation that either suggestion would ever happen.  Once people are off the ship, they no longer have any interest in the issue until they are once again on board and have something to complain about that nothing is being done.  🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I think the real answer to the question posed in the title is "yes'" unless and until the paying customers demand proactive crew responses to chair hogs.  As long as the various cruise lines aren't getting a hoard of demands by the customer base, they will continue with a laissez faire approach to the issue.  The cruise lines don't really want to intervene, so they put the onus back onto the passengers to enforce their rules by either taking direct action or reporting the chair hogs to crew members already present on the lido.

I have two suggestions for mitigating what has always been the nagging problem:

Everyone completing the all-important post cruise surveys should add complaints that the crew are neglecting to enforce the chair hog issue.  When they ask in the survey what could be done to improve service, make a point of suggesting they take the chair hog issue seriously.  They tend to pay more attention those post cruise surveys.

A second suggestion would be to have a crew member assigned to issue a time stamped card to any passenger needing to vacate their lounger for a short time.  The card could read something like "RESERVED UNTIL 1:15 PM."  If one is looking for a chair, they could look at the reserved cards until they find one that is expired and either that crew member would be responsible to collect any belongings, or the passenger could remove the items themselves.  Also, the rule should be only one card per passenger.

That being said, I have no realistic expectation that either suggestion would ever happen.  Once people are off the ship, they no longer have any interest in the issue until they are once again on board and have something to complain about that nothing is being done.  🤷‍♂️ 

I agree with your posting. For some reason (and I may have this mixed up with Regent, as we tend to cruise them also) you need to complete the evaluation online before getting off the ship.  Either way it is a comment I routinely have left, and yet to ever get a response.

I do think it is a bit naïve to think the cruise lines really care unless it is something that affects their bottom line.  

Edited by howiefrommd
correct typo
  • Like 5

On 4/27/2024 at 6:46 PM, Daniel A said:

Chair hogs have never presented a problem for me.  If I see an empty lounger for a while and nobody using it - I'm next!  When somebody comes back an hour later, they just pick up their stuff and move on.  I've never seen an argument where a chair hog returned after a while.  I do think going to lunch at the MDR or buffet and leaving your stuff on the chair is being a chair hog.  You're either at the pool or in a restaurant.  You can't be in both places at the same time.

I've tried putting this downthread and I don't think it's working. But I think your answer is the best workable. JUST DO IT.

• Like 1

Currently on the Regatta on a Mexican Riviera cruise with quite a few days that have been warm to hot. Have not noticed any chair hogging and any time I’ve walked outside on deck 9 there are plenty of loungers. 

I’ve got two intertwined theories. This cruise has 540 some Americans and I think 400 + previous Oceania guests. I think a lot of what we’re seeing when the hogging issue comes up is due to the migration from other lines and the practices brought with them. 

• Like 8

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, ORV said:

Currently on the Regatta on a Mexican Riviera cruise with quite a few days that have been warm to hot. Have not noticed any chair hogging and any time I’ve walked outside on deck 9 there are plenty of loungers. 

I’ve got two intertwined theories. This cruise has 540 some Americans and I think 400 + previous Oceania guests. I think a lot of what we’re seeing when the hogging issue comes up is due to the migration from other lines and the practices brought with them. 

Funny thing is it appears that you have the same number of new cruisers as was on the FP trip and that cruise had some complaining about lounge hogs.

In my opinion the lounges were taken but occupied 90% of the time so not very much hogging just lots of lobsters.

I suspect the difference between the cruises is not migration, but instead the demographics of where the cruisers are from.  On the FP cruise a lot of Canadians and a lot of Americans from northern states. Basically people getting away from winter and wanting to spend time (a lot of time) in the sun. Couple that with a far number of Europeans and sun loving Australians  End result very heavily occupied Lounges.

A Mexican cruise appeals to Californians because they do not have to fly, who to a large degree get all of the sun they want at home. 

Suspect the difference is more the location where the cruisers are from and not line migration.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ORV said:

This cruise has 540 some Americans and I think 400 + previous Oceania guests. 

I don't doubt your theory at all.  Your post does bring up a side issue I've always wondered about.  How do you get the numbers you cited?  I've seen posts on many other threads where numbers and percentages are offered.  I've been curious as to where the numbers originate.  Are the numbers posted somewhere on the web?  Again, I'm not questioning your numbers, I'd be interested in seeing the numbers for future cruises I may take or decide to book.  Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't doubt your theory at all.  Your post does bring up a side issue I've always wondered about.  How do you get the numbers you cited?  I've seen posts on many other threads where numbers and percentages are offered.  I've been curious as to where the numbers originate.  Are the numbers posted somewhere on the web?  Again, I'm not questioning your numbers, I'd be interested in seeing the numbers for future cruises I may take or decide to book.  Thank you.

The numbers of new cruisers and number from each country announced on the cruise. His repeat cruiser numbers are similar to what we had on the cruise immediately before his. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I don't know where @ORV get his numbers, but we found them shared by the Captain at repeater's receptions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I don't know where @ORV get his numbers, but we found them shared by the Captain at repeater's receptions.

That's probably why I never saw any numbers.  DW & I tend to shy away from special receptions and M&G with the Captain.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

19 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The numbers of new cruisers and number from each country announced on the cruise. His repeat cruiser numbers are similar to what we had on the cruise immediately before his. 

8 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes, at the repeaters party. Also I would say the FP transoceanic had a lot more sea days than we do. Definitely a point about this cruise having a lot of Californians, as well as elderly folks. When you hear active people in their upper 70s mentioning “all those old people” then you know there’s quite a few of them.  

I still hold by the idea that it’s a practice that many cruisers bring with them. It’s also very common at resorts. 

9 minutes ago, ORV said:

I still hold by the idea that it’s a practice that many cruisers bring with them. It’s also very common at resorts. 

DW & I used to go to a resort in south Florida.  It was a fairly large place with several buildings.  Our main entertainment was having our morning coffee on our balcony which overlooked the main pool at the resort.  That pool remained locked until security opened the gate at 8AM each day.  There would be a line of people waiting at the gate starting at about 7:30 or so.  The people in line were loaded down with cheap beach towels purchased at local souvenir shops.  When the gate opened it was like the start of the Kentucky Derby!  We saw many people grabbing poolside tables, placing a couple of towels on some chairs at the table and then dragging over four loungers to the table and placing the remaining towels on the four loungers.  Then they would leave the pool and return to their condos for breakfast or whatever.  The pool area was once again empty in ten minutes.  Those tables and loungers would remain empty until about 11 AM and then they'd be empty from about 12:30 to 1:30 for lunch.

On checkout day, they wouldn't even take the towels home with them.  I suppose they wouldn't fit in the luggage for the flight home.  Year after year we saw this happen until we finally stopped going there and switched to watching chair hogs on cruise ships.  😄 

• Haha 7

4 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Year after year we saw this happen until we finally stopped going there and switched to watching chair hogs on cruise ships.

🤣

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

DW & I used to go to a resort in south Florida.  It was a fairly large place with several buildings.  Our main entertainment was having our morning coffee on our balcony which overlooked the main pool at the resort.  That pool remained locked until security opened the gate at 8AM each day.  There would be a line of people waiting at the gate starting at about 7:30 or so.  The people in line were loaded down with cheap beach towels purchased at local souvenir shops.  When the gate opened it was like the start of the Kentucky Derby!  We saw many people grabbing poolside tables, placing a couple of towels on some chairs at the table and then dragging over four loungers to the table and placing the remaining towels on the four loungers.  Then they would leave the pool and return to their condos for breakfast or whatever.  The pool area was once again empty in ten minutes.  Those tables and loungers would remain empty until about 11 AM and then they'd be empty from about 12:30 to 1:30 for lunch.

On checkout day, they wouldn't even take the towels home with them.  I suppose they wouldn't fit in the luggage for the flight home.  Year after year we saw this happen until we finally stopped going there and switched to watching chair hogs on cruise ships.  😄 

That is so hilarious! Thanks for sharing. Puts things in perspective.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TRLD said:

A Mexican cruise appeals to Californians because they do not have to fly, who to a large degree get all of the sun they want at home. 

You are correct about the first part.  We like to drive to ports.  "Getting all the sun" we want at home is a bit more nuanced.  It's not the sun that is so attractive.  It's the ocean and the breezes and the pool and the vacation atmosphere.  I subscribe to the theory that rude people are just rude whether on ships or at home.

• Like 5

We had a fortnight in a lovely hotel in Cyprus. As part of the checkin process we were told that we would have 2 sun beds allocated to us for the duration of the holiday and did we have a preference. As previous land based holidays had groups of people from a certain European nation who liked to get their towels out at 6am 😁 this was luxury and we asked for two as far away from the children's pool as possible 😜😜 and we had a lovely position at the cliff edge, facing the sea and a decent distance away from the pool where the families tended to be allocated. It was lovely being able to go out for the day and know we would have somewhere to sit when we got back.

Not possible on a cruise ship, I know, so I do like @Daniel A's suggestion.

On my first cruise many years ago in 1988, you had an assigned teak deck chair.  Your name was on it.  You picked your chair location as you checked in.  Every afternoon, they served tea on the deck. We dressed up every night. In the dining room, we were assigned to a table. You could eat all 3 meals at your table. You could also come for the midnight buffet in the dining room.  Your waiter knew what drinks you liked and had them on the table when you arrived. It was very elegant. Those were the good old days. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Those were the good old days. 

Well, yes. And no.

Our first cruise was also 1988 (P & O's Canberra). We did a couple more with P & O but became disenchanted with the dress code formality. And the "sittings" for meals. The final straw was being allocated first sitting - to our mind that was still the afternoon, not dinner time. After that, we didnt cruise again for decades (apart from a not very successful week on the short-lived Island Escape) until we discovered O in 2017. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

On my first cruise many years ago in 1988, you had an assigned teak deck chair.  Your name was on it.  You picked your chair location as you checked in.  Every afternoon, they served tea on the deck. We dressed up every night. In the dining room, we were assigned to a table. You could eat all 3 meals at your table. You could also come for the midnight buffet in the dining room.  Your waiter knew what drinks you liked and had them on the table when you arrived. It was very elegant. Those were the good old days. 

Thank goodness they’re gone. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ORV said:

Thank goodness they’re gone. 

On my first cruise, I was disappointed that they no longer had skeet shooting from the stern.  It was replaced with an arcade video game of skeet.  

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

On my first cruise, I was disappointed that they no longer had skeet shooting from the stern.  It was replaced with an arcade video game of skeet.  

I remember seeing that on an episode of The Love Boat. 

6 minutes ago, ORV said:

I remember seeing that on an episode of The Love Boat. 

I wonder if when they had the skeet equipment there were fewer chair hogs???  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Redtravel said:

To each their own but every 'plus' you mention would be a minus to me. And, yes, I'm an old coot.

• Like 1