Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

we found none of the announcements made any difference...

one couple reserved two in the sun and two in the shade, left for considerable amount of time...

we  were seated next to them in the shade and made a comment that should not be doing that, their response was , we dont speak english.  Since I  dont speak German,  that was the end of the conversation. Im sure it made no difference to them what the announcements said. 

Has anyone done the dreadful deed of removing belongings that have been occupying a chaise by themselves for, well, a while? Of course before doing so, you could perhaps ask nearby folks if they've seen any passengers using the chaise in a reasonable time period.

I have cruised on other lines and taken books, sun screen, towels, etc. from a chair; oddly, not ONCE did anyone show up, either to claim the chair or their stuff - they were gone!!

So, fellow cruisers, who among you has been so bold as to TAKE A CHAIR from another passenger who was MIA? What was the result? Have you done so on Oceania?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonthomas said:

one couple reserved two in the sun and two in the shade, left for considerable amount of time...

we  were seated next to them in the shade and made a comment that should not be doing that, their response was , we dont speak english.  Since I  dont speak German,  that was the end of the conversation. Im sure it made no difference to them what the announcements said. 

Funny how some people suddenly ‘can’t speak’ a language, becomes a very convenient excuse when you actually don’t want ‘hear’ something!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Sounds like the same couple I talk about on my post#101 but they spoke perfact english.

It is interesting that this morning the Cruise Director on the Vista made mention of not reserving chairs on the deck if you are not going to use them.  He reminded everyone to be respectful of other passengers.  If you are going to be away from your lounge for a while then others should be able to take advantage of them.

See how that works out!

Terri

• Like 2

3 hours ago, malony33 said:

Has anyone done the dreadful deed of removing belongings that have been occupying a chaise by themselves for, well, a while? Of course before doing so, you could perhaps ask nearby folks if they've seen any passengers using the chaise in a reasonable time period.

I have cruised on other lines and taken books, sun screen, towels, etc. from a chair; oddly, not ONCE did anyone show up, either to claim the chair or their stuff - they were gone!!

So, fellow cruisers, who among you has been so bold as to TAKE A CHAIR from another passenger who was MIA? What was the result? Have you done so on Oceania?

We do it all the time and have never had a problem. We do NOT remove anything of value. We pick a lounger with towels, newsletters or advertisements from the shops.

10 minutes ago, patty1955 said:

We do it all the time and have never had a problem. We do NOT remove anything of value. We pick a lounger with towels, newsletters or advertisements from the shops.

Well, I guess 'anything of value' is subjective; but why would anyone leave 'anything of value' in the first place??

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, san diego dude said:

I admit that I have not read through all ten pages of this topic. Nevertheless, I will submit my solution: Cut all the chairs in half.

I don't think half measures will do, anyway you slice it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

23 hours ago, jonthomas said:

Have to believe that if their items were removed, they would learn to speak English really fast

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ORV said:

No problem today on Marina around the pool, Horizons is another thing. 

Here was Bob after breakfast around Antarctica. We wore shorts mostly while on the ship. Temps in the low 50s.

afterbreakfast.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2024 at 7:54 PM, Tsunami74 said:

Sadly, this practice of monitoring/cards removing items and freeing loungers is no longer practiced

Per a senior ship officer on cruise I am on now there is a reason O no longer removes personal items from loungers. I was told they lost a lawsuit someone brought against them for some valuable item they removed from a lounger. That item was then lost,  thus O was successfully sued and paid damages, according to the officer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2023 at 11:36 AM, kibutzer said:

Not unsolvable but maybe uncomfortable to address. When I see no one I move items and then if they show up within 30 minutes of when I showed up I offer to move if they want the chair. If its alot longer than that I just say I'm sorry but I have bern here for hours and no one was using chairs. I also have asked someone who was holding chairs both in shade and sun if I could sit in one of them since they can't occupy both at same time.  Uncomfortable but gets point across. 

That would be my approach also. Nice to know I’m not the only one that sees this as an effective way to handle childish behavior. 

3 hours ago, edgee said:

Per a senior ship officer on cruise I am on now there is a reason O no longer removes personal items from loungers. I was told they lost a lawsuit someone brought against them for some valuable item they removed from a lounger. That item was then lost,  thus O was successfully sued and paid damages, according to the officer. 

Why in the world would anyone leave valuable items on a lounger unattended in a public area?

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 1:26 PM, basor said:

From what I understand, Oceania was sued for "missing items" when items were removed from an unoccupied lounger ....I am sure their legal team had told them to not touch any item that does not belong to Oceania.  I can't blame them

Doubt could a lawsuits like that ever gain win. Does Oceania state they will be responsible for unattended items? A few simple signs around the pool deck stating Oceania is not responsible for unattended items is all it would take to resolve the problem. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1985rz1 said:

Why in the world would anyone leave valuable items on a lounger unattended in a public area?

1 hour ago, LaZ-Day said:

Doubt could a lawsuits like that ever gain win. Does Oceania state they will be responsible for unattended items? A few simple signs around the pool deck stating Oceania is not responsible for unattended items is all it would take to resolve the problem. 

Perhaps legal advice to O was better to not touch stuff and just remind guests of policy not to hog loungers for long periods of unoccupied time. This is my 9th Oceania cruise and the first time I have heard a "no hogging chairs" message included in twice daily announcements by cruise director.

• Like 1

I personally believe the story by the ship’s personnel is hogwash. Exactly what court was this supposed lawsuit, for an incident at sea, brought? Too many of the incidents of valuables being left seem fake. To me, it’s all just another example of Oceania not choosing to enforce its own policies. Outlandish stories about lawsuits don’t change that.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

I personally believe the story by the ship’s personnel is hogwash. Exactly what court was this supposed lawsuit, for an incident at sea, brought? Too many of the incidents of valuables being left seem fake. To me, it’s all just another example of Oceania not choosing to enforce its own policies. Outlandish stories about lawsuits don’t change

Sure you can hypothesize that this well connected officer would lie to my face. However,  I would be willing to bet that one of those Miami based plaintif law firms that specializes in going against cruise lines was only too eager to at least threaten and possibly got some settlement from O's deep pockets..thus the reason O gives for non enforcement.