Is The Chair Hogging Dilemma Unsolvable?

harryw

59 minutes ago, harryw said:

Senses of entitlement show no boundaries.

Last cruise someone was saving a seat next to me 

in the theatre for her husband, who never showed up.

Maybe it was all innocent.

We always get to theater super early to get a seat on the aisle so dh can get to restroom quickly.

We're often asked to move in and would rather not explain why we would rather not.

we do move out to the aisle to let others in the row.

I try not to judge - we don’t always know the reasons.

It’s really sad to think that so many passengers are being so inconsiderate. I’ve never experienced this in the past. Not to ‘blame’ anybody in particular but Oceania does seem to be attracting a lot of cruisers who are ‘jumping’ from other larger ships and maybe this is the norm for them

I find it odd that Oceania won’t move ‘personal possessions’ from beds  that have not been occupied for ‘hours’. Surely they must realise that this means some people can ‘commandeer’ a bed but never use it all day whilst other, ‘fare paying’ passengers, are left to fume because they can’t get a bed, when there are obviously beds that could be used.

Possibly the only way to remedy this situation is that EVERYONE who can’t get a bed to go and complain to the hotel director. Maybe, if they have constant complaints, they will realise how upsetting it is for the other ‘fare paying’ passengers and maybe do something about it. Another idea maybe for Oceania not to allow any books, sunglasses or other ‘bed saving’ items be put on a bed before 9am by which time those going on morning trips will have gone without being able to save a bed!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

It’s really sad to think that so many passengers are being so inconsiderate. I’ve never experienced this in the past. Not to ‘blame’ anybody in particular but Oceania does seem to be attracting a lot of cruisers who are ‘jumping’ from other larger ships and maybe this is the norm for them

I find it odd that Oceania won’t move ‘personal possessions’ from beds  that have not been occupied for ‘hours’. Surely they must realise that this means some people can ‘commandeer’ a bed but never use it all day whilst other, ‘fare paying’ passengers, are left to fume because they can’t get a bed, when there are obviously beds that could be used.

Possibly the only way to remedy this situation is that EVERYONE who can’t get a bed to go and complain to the hotel director. Maybe, if they have constant complaints, they will realise how upsetting it is for the other ‘fare paying’ passengers and maybe do something about it. Another idea maybe for Oceania not to allow any books, sunglasses or other ‘bed saving’ items be put on a bed before 9am by which time those going on morning trips will have gone without being able to save a bed!

I think  Celebrity is pricing itself in such a way that benefits Oceania passenger count 

2 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

I think  Celebrity is pricing itself in such a way that benefits Oceania passenger count 

I’ve never travelled Celebrity. Do that have lots of ‘chair hogs’?

Maybe the solution is to adopt a version of procedures operated by many Spanish tourist hotels during the more relaxed parts of the pandemic. Due to distancing regulations, they were not allowed to have as many loungers  out as usual. Solution was to require folk to  to make a daily lounger reservation for a time period of maybe three hours. Comments on the Tripadvisor forum I follow indicated it worked.

10 minutes ago, Harters said:

Maybe the solution is to adopt a version of procedures operated by many Spanish tourist hotels during the more relaxed parts of the pandemic. Due to distancing regulations, they were not allowed to have as many loungers  out as usual. Solution was to require folk to  to make a daily lounger reservation for a time period of maybe three hours. Comments on the Tripadvisor forum I follow indicated it worked.

Could be a plan!

1 hour ago, Vallesan said:

I posted a similar sentiment/observation on another thread. We became O regulars 12 years ago, having migrated from Princess and Celebrity. But even back then, I don't remember such rude/antisocial behavior on the larger ships; and on O, it was almost unheard of. I do believe that the current state of affairs has to be directly related and attributable to the recent influx of refugees from other, larger ships. (Can only imagine what it's like on P and C now! 😲) Coinicidence? I don't think so. But then again, sadly,  the world is a very different place now than it was then, in terms of common courtesy and just being kind to your fellow humans. Any setting with a gathering of said humans is nothing more than a microcosm of the world.

6 minutes ago, jazznruby said:

I posted a similar sentiment/observation on another thread. We became O regulars 12 years ago, having migrated from Princess and Celebrity. But even back then, I don't remember such rude/antisocial behavior on the larger ships; and on O, it was almost unheard of. I do believe that the current state of affairs has to be directly related and attributable to the recent influx of refugees from other, larger ships. (Can only imagine what it's like on P and C now! 😲) Coinicidence? I don't think so. But then again, sadly,  the world is a very different place now than it was then, in terms of common courtesy and just being kind to your fellow humans. Any setting with a gathering of said humans is nothing more than a microcosm of the world.

Agreed i am hopeful that i will be fortunate enough on my upcoming Vista cruise to encounter wonderful souls.  Gratitude for just beubg able to cruise

My wife and I are refugees from Celebrity. That was our line 

of choice for many years. We weren’t priced out, but left due

to a gradual decline in quality over the years, (Though I 

miss the cherries jubilee at the cruise’s end.)

O granted us asylum about 15 years ago and we were thrilled to sail again last month 

for our first post pandemic vacation.

There was never a lounge chair issue on C. As an armchair sociologist, it

seems that culturally, people are more rude, self absorbed and less considerate of  others.

I hope that hasn’t happened on the CC boards!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

Agreed i am hopeful that i will be fortunate enough on my upcoming Vista cruise to encounter wonderful souls.  Gratitude for just beubg able to cruise

We're hoping for same. We're on Vista end of next month. Always grateful to escape PN winters and for cruising in general.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, harryw said:

As an armchair sociologist, it

seems that culturally, people are more rude, self absorbed and less considerate of  others.

I hope that hasn’t happened on the CC boards!

Yes, please see my post #186 above. And unfortunately, the phenomenon raises its ugly head on CC all too frequently.

They do have a policy (request) but nobody pays attention to it.  And if they don’t enforce their policy, it just falls into the 6 bottle booze suggested policy. The policy is stated in the booklet received in the Cruise Vacation Guide sent prior to the cruise. So at least those in N America have no excuse. 

7 hours ago, Vallesan said:

We were on an admitted pre covid cruise in February 2020 on Riviera (maybe Marina?). The staff did monitor the loungers.  If only a book or something was on it, he put a card that said something like "this bed was unoccupied at 11:00 if no one is here at  11:30, items will be removed to the table".  They had a table set up on the edge.

This worked!

Despite being in the Carribean, it was not difficult to find a lounger in the shade.

I think if people knew that there was a good chance to get what they wanted, they would not need to "hog"

Sadly, this practice of monitoring/cards removing items and freeing loungers is no longer practiced

• Like 2

Apparently Regent has gone back to the pre-Covid policy of putting a notice on the "hogged" chair and confiscating the belongings.   Hopefully Oceania will too.

If I were on a cruise where this happened I would speak with the GM.  iI is really not fair.

• Like 2

Seems to be many areas where Oceania’s highly advertised YWYW seems to collide with what should be personal courtesy. This issue is just one of many.

FWIW, several recent articles in the business magazines surrounding companies sending employees off to charm school. Seems everything from (once) common table manners; proper attire for business functions; and carrying on respectful conversations has been lost. Amazing the number of people that never eat at a table, outside of fast food, no less that never learned table manners. Guess it’s behind part of the demand for 2 tops? 😔

• Like 2

Sea day today.  Looked for a chaise on the pool deck after breakfast at 9 am . None!  Walked the deck searching and found junk on most chairs. Not many humans on those chairs. Attendant told me that people were putting stuff on chairs as early as 5:30 am.  Luckily my veranda is shady. 

I always come down around 7:15 take 2 lounges and wait for the wife to come and have breakfast around 9 in waves so some lounges really could be occupied.  But I doubt it. LOL

My post # 102 tells the story of a couple taking 4 lounges for them selves 

On 1/17/2024 at 7:35 AM, true45 said:

We always get to theater super early to get a seat on the aisle so dh can get to restroom quickly.

We're often asked to move in and would rather not explain why we would rather not.

we do move out to the aisle to let others in the row.

I try not to judge - we don’t always know the reasons.

That's really shocking re the end of the row. I wonder if they do that on-shore at theaters, movies,etc.